homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Joining a sports team

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Joining a sports team
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 19, 2008 12:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have lost about 25 kilos since lat christmas and I don't want to gain all this weight back so I am thinking about joining a sports team as I will be moving much closer to work and my current exercise of riding my bike ten minutes to work will no longer be possible. (closer not further)

anyways here are my options

American football, There is a league of 8 amatuer teams here and my city has on of them. The problem is the team in my city has no flag football team as all the otheres do so I would have to commute 1+ hours to practice and back if I want to play flag football. I don't want to play full contact football as I am not so young anymore.

Football, I have never played before in my life but as they say, "When in Rome... " There are dozens af teams in walking distance of where I live. There are many leagues and skill levels so I could join the 4. or the 5. league and play there. Has anybody you know joined a football team at 29 never having touched a ball before. I have a female coworker who started football at 25 having never played before but I think it is different with women teams. I mean with that that most men in europe who play football have played thier whole life.

Badminton, I play once a month or so with coworkers. It is a decent workout but I would rather play a sport outside then inside.

Handball, again I have never played this sport before though it is popular around here. It is most oftem played inside.

Other sports?

Jogging rollerblading, biking ect., boring, 'nuff said. I want a sport I do with other people.

Tennis, golf, squash ect. I have never played them .

Any comments? I don't know what to do.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 12:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is personal opinion of course. But if you are looking to stay healthy, I would strike the American football off the list. As you already mentioned, you are not real hot on the idea of full contact, and having to spend an hour + just to play would probably get old very quickly.

Otherwise, I would consider all of it. Why not? You might find that biking is a great meditation type of thing. I know plenty of people that do.

The handball badminton thing are great when the weather stinks. And football would be a great way to get into some very heavy exercise. Even the amateurs are serious about the game. And even if you are starting from the back of the pack, it may be a good learning experience.

Golf is a much tougher game than it appears. But other than by walking from hole to hole, I wouldn't exactly call it strenuous.

Other than that, make sure you enjoy it.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 15:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, you live in Switzerland. Go play in the Alps.

Seriously, I have about as much sympathy for someone whining about staying in shape in Switzerland as I do for someone whining about staying in shape in Colorado.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 16:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Ashitaka __ Concerning Handball:

Arches of the feet
Ankles
Knees
Hips
The Hands

___ Plus shoes all have to be in top order, I used to work with a ranked world player and he would invite three of us better players from work to play against him cut throat so he could stay in top form. Those work outs were brutal one plus hour of total work out. The running and stopping are hard on your knees and feet.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 16:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimming is good for full-body fitness.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 20:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Ash!

I played flag football in college. It is a good place to get hurt.

How about Basketball? That is an excellent game to gain fitness. I did not begin playing at all until I was in my mid 20s. I was fit and hustled and learned to shoot from outside.

You can ride bicycles with other fellows and some women, too. There are clubs. It is very social even at competitive levels. Go out, ride, chat, stop for a pint, ride some more. Even race every once and a while to the next city limits sign ( or roadkill for that matter). Very fun and social.

Here, I have to learn to beat crazy, insane Al. We all wait for each other at Breakfast on Sunday AM -- about 20, 25 miles out, about the same or more back.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 22:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Dude, you live in Switzerland. Go play in the Alps.

Seriously, I have about as much sympathy for someone whining about staying in shape in Switzerland as I do for someone whining about staying in shape in Colorado.

I live in Basel now, You cannot be further from the alps and still in Switzerland.

I do want to go mountain biking but that is not something I could do twice a week. Plus I want to stay fit and not become injured. Most of the sports in the alps make rugby look mild.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2008 23:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Climbing and skiing or snowboarding aren't that bad. All I've ever broken is my nose. Contrast that with my rugby and American football playing friend who's managed to bust about half his body, including his pelvis. [Razz]

On a more serious note, I realize that the Alps have very high injury and death rates. This is because alpine sports are inherently dangerous and the Europeans have made access to their mountains easy. As in you can take gondolas and ski-lifts straight up on to the glaciers and bypass the miseries of the approach hikes that American climbers deal with on a regular basis. At the top of the telepherique stations there's a nice comfy place to gear up or gear down and there's the huts too - you don't have to camp up there. You can get fscking wet and cold and have a nice warm hut to sleep in and dry your stuff out in. No sleeping on your wet socks. No cuddling your water bottles to keep them thawed. No wrangling with frozen bootlaces at two am in a cramped tent vestibule while your buddy kicks you in the kidneys through the tent door because he or she's trying to put on his or her pants (it'll still be two am though - there's no escaping the alpine start, there's only blunting the pain). And if you get in trouble you call the equivalent of 911 on your cell phone and a helicopter comes and plucks you off the mountainside for the cost of your rescue insurance. It's very civilized. I've enjoyed climbing in Europe. But all this civilization lulls people into a false sense of ease and comfort and as a result you end up with a lot of people up there who just shouldn't be there.

That and you see some truly weird shit going down in Europe, like people crossing broken up, crevassey glaciers without ropes or even ice axes. Or seven-man rope teams on 6-foot intervals - that's not going to do a lot of good.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture