homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Bad news for the Peebs family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad news for the Peebs family
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2008 21:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today was not a good day for my family it seems. Two weeks ago I found out that my great-grandmother had a stroke. This morning I got a call from my mother letting me know that she died. An hour later I got a call from my father-in-law letting me know that his mother died last night. Then tonight when I got the information about my great-grandmother's funeral I found out that my grandma (on the other side of my family) has Crohn's disease, which explains why she has had such trouble eating and keeping on weight, and probably will die within a year.

Family members are dropping all over the place it looks like. [Frown]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 08, 2008 22:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear that Peebs. [Frown]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 00:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Peebs, I am not sure why, but I have always assumed that you come from a close and loving family. I hope I am right because that does help you through times like these. A few years back I lost both my father-in-law, and my own father in the space of just over 6 months. It was a bit of a storm but you do come through it, though I still miss them, and think about them most days. You also have comfort in the joy and hope of your own child, and love of your husband.

My best to you and your family.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 01:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me gives peebs a great big hug.

Been there, it's rough. Stick together and be strong.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 01:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hug*

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 03:53      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Peebs. **Hugs**

AFAIK, Crohn's disease is not fatal. I know people who have lived with it all their lives.Is it so out of control that they feel she will only last a year? Perhaps there is hope...

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 04:19      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs...You're in my thoughts.

And Snupy is right, my brother-in-law has Chrones disease, and lives a very regular and healthy lifestyle. It will all be good [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 04:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lost several close family members, I know how much it hurts. Don't deny yourself the grieving process; it's okay to get angry and cry.

But also, don't forget to laugh. It might sound irreverent, but I'll never forget my uncle's viewing because of all the fun we had. Plus, it helped us get through the whole ordeal. It was also comforting to know that my uncle's (and my grandfather's, when he died) struggles with ill health were over.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 08:31      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:

AFAIK, Crohn's disease is not fatal. I know people who have lived with it all their lives.Is it so out of control that they feel she will only last a year? Perhaps there is hope...

You can treat the symptoms of it, but I know my grandmother. She's been telling us for a few years now that she's just ready to go. It looks like she's had this for a long time, but we've only recently gotten the diagnosis. She is all skin and bones right now, doesn't want to do anything or go anywhere. Her hearing is going, but she doesn't want to wear her hearing aid or go out of the house to get it fixed when there's a problem. She's happy that she lived to see 6 grandchildren married and 8 great-grandchildren born. If she really worked on feeling better she might be around a little while longer, but I'm not sure she will.

I'm going to miss my grandma.

Callipygous: On my dad's side of the family we're close. On my mom's side there's a lot more bitterness and drama and we're not as close, but I do have lots of very fond memories of Easters and Thanksgivings at my great-grandmother's house and playing with all the funny toys in her back room. She's been sick for a while and her Alzheimer's was getting worse. Emotionally I let her go a while ago, but I do want to be there at the funeral for my mom.

The close family on my dad's side will help a lot when my grandma dies. And a lot of them live in the same city as my mom so it will be easier to see everybody. I think I'll try to visit Grandma while I'm up there this weekend. Seeing Kaitlin always makes her smile.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 10:13      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kaitlin? Boy, do I have some catching up to do! [Eek!]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 10:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Kaitlin? Boy, do I have some catching up to do! [Eek!]

LOL, yeah I guess you do. It's been almost three years now since I announced that Kaitlin was born.

She's gotten a bit bigger since then. [Wink]

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC02296.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC04211.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC04218.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC04279.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC04444.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC07584.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC07590.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/peebs1701/Kaitlin/DSC07601.jpg

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 11:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PB, I am so sorry for your loss; and it is even harder with the triple-whammy. I lost both of my Dad's parents within 6 months of each other, and my Mom's mom died 6 months prior to that, so I have real sense of empathy.

I realize that no matter what I say I can't help the hurt you're feeling right now. Just know that you are in my prayers.

Now is the time to mourn for the loss of the people you will miss. Don't forget, though, to take time to celebrate the full and joyful lives they lived.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 12:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs, first of all, I'm sorry to hear about all this sad news. A great big *hug* is yours for the taking.

But on a happier note, what the heck happened?! That kid is huge! And incredibly cute! I think I haven't seen any KaitP1x in a couple years.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 13:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG has Kaitlin ever grown and wow is she ever cute!

Magnificent Valour. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 13:55      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry about all those bad news. And I do think it is a wonderfull idea to go see your remaining grandmother with Kaitlin. You may not change your grandmother's decision, but you can bring some sun in her last days.

You have my deepest sympathies and kind thoughts.

(Oh, and I agree with Ugh about Kaitlin.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 14:01      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Peebs!!! She's beautiful! And those eyelashes!!!

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 17:48      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs - Kaitlin what a sweetie pie! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] and just like her mother!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 17:56      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only add *hug*

My gosh that girl has grown! Seems like only yesterday...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 18:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks on both counts everybody. We'll be going to the funeral on Saturday with my mom and brother. As for grandma, I keep telling her that 91 years just isn't enough for her to be around. I don't know for a fact that she's decided not to do anything about her health, but she's always been one to worry more about everybody else than herself, and she does keep saying that she's ready to go. We'll just have to wait and see and spend time with her while she's here.

On the other topic, I guess I've been a bit lax about kid-related updates. The screen on our digital camera broke so we haven't been taking as many pictures as before. And thanks to the lax economy and my schooling (Yay, I just finished the summer quarter! One year down, one and a half to go!) we haven't had the money to replace it. But we should be able to by the end of the year. But I guess I should go through and then start a new post with kid pics. I wonder when I did post some last. [Geek]

--------------------
óMiss Piggy

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 18:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________TMBWITW,PB Me Da Died way back in 1972, so for many years Me Brother and my self were the watchers over my mother. A very independent woman. About Y2K me father-in-law became ill and soon died, Then eighteen months later it was me mothers turn, to be followed by The MrsMoMans mother.

____ I know the pain and no one saying they feel the pain really helps, but you will get over the hurt and anger that life is unfair, but the loss will be with you. You will see a slice of a shadow that makes you feel like they are there, they seem to ebb and flow with the amount of stress you are under.

____ The Irish celebrate at funerals because they want to remember the good times, and there were plenty, to remember.

____ I do not remember who wrote it but C.W. McCall sang "memories are like starlight they go on forever." Keep the good ones and toss the bad ones.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2008 21:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB,

I never have good words for things like this, but I'm sorry to hear that so much is happening with your relatives. You have my sympathies.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2008 19:47      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peebs: I have a feeling I'm going to sound cold and weird, but you should be thankful that your great grandmother went the way she did. We all feel sorry for ourselves when a loved one dies, but don't but ourselves in the shoes of the deceased. Living after a serious stroke is a horrible life. I've had two relatives do that. It was frustrating for them - trapped in a body that didn't work quite right any more.

You have to balance two things - your sense of loss, and their pain as their body gives out. That's really all there is to it. You are still very young, so you can't appreciate that a longer life just isn't important to some people. My kids are old enough to be self-sufficient. I know now that I am essentially redundant. I can be an entertaining grandparent. I can still be the fun guy in a bar. I can enjoy myself. But I know that I've done my real life's work, which is raising my kids. I have a few regrets, but nothing that I have to fix before I die. I think the big change was they day I became a parent, and I realized that I would unhesitatingly sacrifice my life for my little girl's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can feel sorry for your loss, but don't feel sorry for the departed. Hope that their transition from healthy and vital to demise is short. Wish them as little pain as possible, and be thankful that they don't have to suffer much.

It's a relay. They've passed the torch down to the next generation. Now it's your job to keep your great-grandmother alive by telling Kaitlin about her. Cherish the good memories. Leave the bad ones behind. As long as you do that, they're never really gone.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2008 07:04      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, you don't read all the topics for a bit and look what happens.

sorry peebs, we just lost my grandmother earlier this year, and i know what you mean about being ready to go. she was, and there was just no stopping it. she was relatively healthy, but she had made up her mind.

i am glad you posted the Kaitlin pics. my daughter is one too, but with a 'y' in there at the end instead. [Wink] i would add something cheesy about the circle of life, but quantumfluff already pointed out most of it, and made it sound better than it did in my head.

take the little cutie to see grandma, and tell her stories, and pass around the pictures. and love them while you can.

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture