homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » New Guy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Guy
shparks
Maximum Newbie
Member # 20945

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted September 01, 2008 00:18      Profile for shparks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I just joined the group. I am a graduate student, getting my Masters in Teaching. Until recently, I intended to teach around the 3rd or 4th age group. But now I might have the opportunity to do my student teaching with a 7th grade Math and Science teacher. That might be the right fit for me - I mean "Science Teacher" has a much geekier ring to it than "4th Grade Teacher," right?
Posts: 15 | From: Vancouver, WA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 02:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thnk this would be about the worse age group to tach in school. especially if the 7th grade is in a middle school and not part of a 1-7 then 9-12 system. When you have 6-8th year students only in a school I thk it is much more dificult to have control over the students because I think this age group of students needs to A)be the oldest in the school and be looked up to by all the 3rd graders and such, and or B) have example s of students around the school that are a bit more mature. Just my opinion. I learned absdolutlely nothing in middle school science. It wasn't until high school when I had the opportunity to be seperated from the idiot students that science became interesting.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 04:04      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Welcome...

I am also education major with a concentration in science. I am currently teaching pre-K, until I finish up my degree, and I would say that is a pretty tough age as well. I still have not decided what grade I want to teach, but I am thinking anything 6th grade and under. I don't think I could handle the attitudes of the teeny-boppers [Eek!]

Well, anyway, nice to have you here...We are a pretty interesting bunch, I think you will enjoy [Big Grin] Stay away from Steen, Cap'N, and the Colonel!

Don't drink the coffee, it's stale, and please don't pet my kitty, he bites!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2008 17:29      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, Wynona had a big brown beaver, liked to stroke it all the time..."

Er, sorry.

Welcome, shparks. There should be some cold beers in the fridge. The good booze are hiding behind that pile of old Byte magazines on that shelf over there.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 09:14      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome shparks! I started off my college career as a secondary ed English major. As for teaching middle school students, dear God, how can anyone stand those little buggers? Middle school is hell. Every middle school teacher I've spoken with says the same thing, it's hell. You've got to have exceptional stamina. But, I wish you luck and longevity.

Anyway, that path didn't last long for me, as at some point I wised up and went into tech. Graduated right as the DotCom Bust was happening. Shoulda stayed in education.

All that aside, welcome, come on in, enjoy. I'm sure if you play your cards right you'll get to pet geekygoddess' cat. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
shparks
Maximum Newbie
Member # 20945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2008 23:26      Profile for shparks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't hear many good things about middle school. That first placement turned out to be an 8th grade classroom. It was a tentative arrangement and it didn't work out.

Now I might end up with a 6th grade science & art teacher. Still considered middle school there. The cool thing is that it is the same school I went to when I was a kid. At least, I think that would be cool.

As far as middle school being Hell, I would still like to give it a try. If I do it for a few years, and I really hate it, I can move on to teaching at the university level. Maybe get my PhD, become a professor, do some research, etc.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 13:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there. I'm a fellow grad student, though in a different program - PhD in biochemistry.

My sis just got her Masters in Teaching. She's now teaching ESL grades 4-6. When she started out, she wanted to teach the 2nd grade. When she finished, she realized she preferred it when the kids were a bit more independent!

Just a word of advice concerning that PhD: don't do it unless you really, really want it. Want it so bad you're willing to lose a chunk of your soul to get it. Because that's what it takes.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 13:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just a word of advice concerning that PhD: don't do it unless you really, really want it. Want it so bad you're willing to lose a chunk of your soul to get it. Because that's what it takes.
Into the cranky writing up period? Stick with it. Finishing is worth it.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 16:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However did you guess?

/me curls up into a ball and cries

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

shparks
Maximum Newbie
Member # 20945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2008 22:32      Profile for shparks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Hey there. I'm a fellow grad student, though in a different program - PhD in biochemistry.

Lose a chunk of your soul, eh?
Sort of a Horcrux kind of thing?

Right now, I feel pretty sure that I do want to go for the PhD someday. But I have gone back and forth on things like that in the past. Originally, I never intended to go to college at all. And after I got my Bachelors, I wasn't sure if I would ever come back for a Masters. So, who knows how I will feel down the road.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 15:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sort of. AFAIK, I don't have to kill anyone. Every defense I've been to, everyone who walked in walked out. Maybe a little worse for wear, but they were walking.

Which doesn't mean they aren't going to have some poor innocent tied up to an altar and a sharp knife to hand me when I enter that little room, but I don't think it likely.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 15:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They only do that if you're majoring in religious studies.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2008 20:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. Good. I was worried.

Actually, shortly after I solved my crystal structure a few years back someone made a comment to me about my luck - I went from scratch to structure in ~ 9 months, which is fast for the type of project I was on, especially for an utter n00b like I was back then. I told them luck had nothing to do with it. I'd gone down to the crossroads one night and waited for a handsome man with a forked tongue who cast no shadow. I gave him my soul, he gave me crystallography skills.

The person I was talking to was a bit religious. He avoided me for a few days after that. Then I guess he realized I was joking.

Except sometimes I wonder if I really was joking.

Okay, enough moping. I'll scare shparks. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture