homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hello all!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello all!
Chris Smith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 21092

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted August 24, 2008 11:10      Profile for Chris Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought that I would introduce myself.

My name is Chris and I live in Pennsylvania. I'm a student at Penn State University and I'm majoring in Management Information Systems. I love tech and tech culture and am a self described nerd and/or geek (I prefer geek). Additionally I enjoy reading, playing music, writing, blogging, my fiance, my friends and family, and my little dog, too.

I wouldn't consider myself a "hacker" or coder by any means; I know a little of everything just to get by. I'm am definitely a tech "pundit" though; I'm always talking to friends and family about tech and they are always asking me questions. Lately I've just felt that I need to reach out to more individuals that love technology just so I get a chance to "geek out" with them.

My tech interests include:

Linux, Windows, Apple, web development, cell phones, computers (hardware), open source, business, cloud computing, etc.

Well, I'm happy to be joining this forum, hopefully I can meet some more people that are interested in geeky stuff. Also if anyone has any questions for me or please don't hesitate to ask. Also, check out my blog, Tech Hacker. I'm also looking for some people to join my tech community as well, and if you have a knack for writing and love tech, maybe you would like to help me out!

Posts: 3 | From: Meadville, Pa | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 11:36      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't partake in SPAM, I'm a vegetarian.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris Smith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 21092

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 11:40      Profile for Chris Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that they make vegetarian spam... It doesn't really matter though because that's not at all what I'm trying to do.

It says right in the forum heading that you can post your website, so that's what I did.

What a wonderful welcome.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 12:33      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I will welcome you Chris!

We tend to be a little apprehensive about spammers, as they are the DEVIL!!!

We get lots of creepies on here!!!

Welcome, welcome, and make yourself at home
[Big Grin] Unless your an evil spammer [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 13:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris - I'll throw in my lot with the welcoming committee as well...Hello [Big Grin] At this time, I think that Bibo's spam-guards were perhaps raised a tad too quickly.

geekygoddess's comment alludes to the fact that there have been a few really crass marketing spams in here recently, from individuals or groups that only want to promote their "thing" and have no intention of contributing to the community.

On the other hand, some of the "creepies" she refers to are fully paid-up long-term forum members! [Big Grin] [Razz]

Seriously though, this is a good place, and if your intention isn't simply to get the hit count up on your blog, then I'm sure you'll enjoy hanging out here.

So - join in the debates, try not to incur the wrath of the grammar-nazis, and keep the cosmic bong moving round the circle. [Smile]

EDIT: before the grammar nazis spot what I did [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 14:17      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes my SPAM defenses were up high, sorry.
(Unless you just here to promote your site)
I've just been blocking lots of SPAM followers on Twitter and have been grumpy over all of the spammers.

So welcome, and sorry.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 20:25      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris! A warm welcome to you. I hope you find the rest of your stay quite enjoyable and take no offense to Bibo. Spam is an incredibly evil thing, the work of those demon spawn who inhabit the First Circle of Hell: Marketers. [Big Grin]

I think most of us here are quite sensitive to anything that looks like the digital equivalent of unknown meat products stuffed into smallish, rounded rectangular cans and sold as lunch meat.

FYI I've been a member of these boards over 3 years, and when I started a blog I agonized for days whether to say anything here. Over the last several months I've become very active and I was afraid of coming across as simply an attention whore. For the record I am an attention slut; I've never been paid. [Wink]

One last note. I also had a tech-centric blog, but have never really shared it here for many reasons, none of which I will get into now. I wish you luck with yours and will take a peek soon.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 24, 2008 22:34      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Chris! [thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 01:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, dido others

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chris Smith
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 21092

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 12:37      Profile for Chris Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool Bibo!

Well thanks everybody for welcoming me, I really do appreciate it.

I understand the SPAM thing, and there is a fine line between shameless self promotion and SPAM. Maybe I should have waited a little longer to say anything about my blog.

But thanks for everything guys. I'm sitting at school right now reading an article call "IT Doesn't Matter." It is a little older but it is pretty good, a lot of good points. All I know is that I hope IT matters, if it doesn't I will look pretty stupid with a degree in MIS!

Talk to ya guys later.

Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 18:00      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chris, welcome

p.s don't worry about the spam thing, I made the same mistake by including my ex website and filmaking when talking about myself in general and quickly came underfire from several angry posters despite my intentions being innocent . Needless to say I learnt my lesson lol.

p.p.s I am not spamming again people, both website and video are off the internet so there is nothing to promote!

Posts: 27 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 18:01      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.p.p.s I say spamming again but I was never spamming in the first place so yeh bad choice of words
Posts: 27 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2008 15:53      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome chris!
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 23:59      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Chris! Glad to have you, perhaps I'll give your site a look-see. [Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture