homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Has it really been that long??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Has it really been that long???
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 01, 2008 08:01      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five years!!

I just looked at my join date a moment ago.

While some people have been here longer, I am stunned to see that I have been a member here for over five years now.

Sometimes as a regular poster. Other times lurking. And lately, lurking until I feel like spouting off some nonsense that entertains me.

Anyway, I am curious to see how much longer this will last.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 01, 2008 08:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its been nice having you Shroom. I thought so the day you showed up.

I feel old now.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 09:00      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can say the same for both of you. Right now I think the only regular poster on the board who has been here longer than me is Steen. [Eek!] Now I feel old.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 09:10      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! You've not been here all that long, Shroom... heck you're not even in the "member numbers < 1000" club! Which I guess means that I've been here longer than you at member number 955.. and where's Tut at? He's 1234...

Oh man, now /I/ feel old!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 09:12      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

Bah! You are still a whipper snapper. Now get off my lawn. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 10:05      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, I've always wondered what the history of GC has been.

What happened to most of the member numbers underneath a 1000? Did Snaggy get hungry?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 10:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

What happened to most of the member numbers underneath a 1000? Did Snaggy get hungry?

I think it is safe to say that life happened to a lot of the older members. College, jobs, families, suicide cults in the Arizona desert...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 10:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Though Shroomy is kind of right, I also think that a lot of the long-time people were sadly driven away by escapades involving extended flame wars notably similar to our most recent debacle.

These incidences of trolling seem to come around once in a while, though they are rare here. It seems, though, that whenever these episodes occur, more of the old guard disappear, leaving a hole in our community and, in general, reducing the overall geekyness of the conversation.

Some of the former "old guard" that have left are practically GeekCulture legends.. I'm thinking of Cap'n Vic and a few others who have notably left their mark on the community at large.

After this most recent round of trolling, and the consequential "grass roots" movement to heal the wounds of the forums, I am very pleased to see the return of some nicks that I've not seen around here in a long time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 10:54      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there are very few members under the 1000 mark that have more than 100 posts. In fact, many have 0-10 posts. Considering that, it's not too great a loss for the most part, but I do miss those who contributed regularly to the forums.

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 12:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom - your post made me curious to check out my dates, and it seems that I have been volunteering my $0.02 for just about three years now. It seems quite bizarre how the years are flying by now I am getting a bit older, quite worrying really.

But for all the political ranting, this is still a good place to exchange thoughts with decent people. Don't be moving on too soon. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 17:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon Shroomy! Make that 2000th post!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 19:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way Calli, I am saving that for a special... aww shit.

[Wink]
[Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 23:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Some of us just changed our names via new account.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 07:34      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Some of us just changed our names via new account.
Ahh, now what about the history of GC? Is it similar to the history of the world, like instead of a golden era there was the fs era. Because GC has been around for awhile and it would be cool to know how it all began (no Snaggy and Nitro I'm not calling you two old).

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 07:42      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
No way Calli, I am saving that for a special... aww shit.

[Wink]
[Razz]

That's okay Shroom, you can still save your 2048th post for something special... [Geek]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 07:53      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Bah! You've not been here all that long, Shroom... heck you're not even in the "member numbers < 1000" club! Which I guess means that I've been here longer than you at member number 955.. and where's Tut at? He's 1234...

I had to fight off the other people in Snaggy's belly, but eventually clawed my way out.

Also, Feist tried to sue me for using the phrase "1 2 3 4".

Actually, I'm just lurking.

...returns to lurking

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 09:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And some of us with sub-thousand #s just don't shut up. [Razz]

D'oh!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 02, 2008 09:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom, you think it's been a long time for you?
/me burps up the last 10 years. [Big Grin]

Actually, it's been a pretty cool 10 years, and that's thanks to you all. [Happytears]

hey TUT!!!! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 10:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got curious and browsed a little and, other than Nitrozac and Snaggy, it looks like I am the lowest numbered regular forum poster who's still around.

Now get off my lawn! Damn kids!

(unless you're going mow it for me... I hate doing that)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 12:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. Even those old fsck'rs on board. [Wink]

I appreciate the sentiment Xan, you are among those I truly enjoy seeing post.

To think that I set up this account right about the time I finally starting working full time in tech and got past the worst of the tech implosion. I have seen kids grow and a marriage go away and life has taken a lot of twists and turns in the last five years.

It seems odd to think that one constant was this board.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 20:16      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing how quickly time seems to go by sometimes. Then there are times when it doesn't seem to go fast enough. Oh! That's usually when I'm at work. [Big Grin] Hehe! [Smile]

Nice to have you around Shroom. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 20:44      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like I don't post enough, and considering how long I've been here, it seems like I never visit the website at all, but I've been checking the main page almost every day pretty much the whole time I've been here.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 02, 2008 23:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops...I actually kind of missed the top of this thread...the dangers of always using the 'active topics' page, I suppose.

Shroom!

Great seeing you around here, and my how time flies. I remember your comments about IT stuff in Cali. on IRC...and now you've left that place for...UT. I hope life's trying you well over there, and work is nicer than CA. (Needless to say, work here isn't all that much different. :/)

Cheers,
dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 09:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
It seems odd to think that one constant was this board.

It's kind of like the geek version of Cheers.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2008 09:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norm. Did you know the ancient Sumerians, with the help of aliens, created the first working model of the XFree86?

It's true.

Damn, you never can get a beer in this place though.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture