homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hiya!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hiya!
Alerys
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 17494

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted May 08, 2008 17:31      Profile for Alerys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stumbled across this site and don't know how I've never noticed it before...

I'm not much for labels, and can't honestly say I know the difference between "geek" and "nerd", but somewhere in there is me I suppose.

I'm currently in school for computer programming and analysis (I've been working on my AA for almost 10 years, because people kept tricking me into thinking I wanted to do something else... business management? really? no!).

I play EQ2, but not an addict (no, really). I read fantasy, philosophy, horror. Watch horror movies. Lots of other yay fun stuff.

And for anyone who likes to know how to pronounce things even though they're just reading it... My Ventrilo phonetic is "uh lairriss". Or for the humans, it's something like "uh-LAIR-is".

Okay, now... hi everyone!

Posts: 1 | From: Clearwater, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 19:29      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Alerys!

I think the difference between "nerd" and "geek" is one of degree more than anything else. Which is which? Your guess is as good as mine...

Judging from your cv, I would venture to say that you'll fit in around here just fine.

Welcome to the forums. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 08, 2008 19:37      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums, Alerys!
The closest I can to get to explain the difference are these strips from PhD Comics, enjoy:
Introduction
Explanation

And please, avoid the coffee, nobody has changed it since New Years Eve.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 19:49      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah - almost forgot.

Help yourself to the coffee (if you finish it, be kind and start a fresh pot); the doughnuts are on the counter; don't step on the trolls; you really don't want to touch the stuff in the back left corner of the fridge; and above all, don't believe anything anyone here tells you. [evil]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 20:18      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do, stay the hell away from Steen [Big Grin] He is evil [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 20:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not evil... but umm... Microsoft -did- send me two free copies of Vista Ultimate which arrived today.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 11:28      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Whatever you do, stay the hell away from Steen [Big Grin] He is evil [Big Grin]

You mean, you did wake up hungover and find something terrible clinging to your flesh - again? [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 12:13      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would think that one day I would learn, eh? [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 19:01      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums.

listen to dave, back in the fridge is my bagel and bbk's baking's that I ummmm borrowed.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture