homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » 'ello

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'ello
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 08:50      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks,

26 y/o Dublin geek here.

I'm feeling brief so I'll just say that I'm a final year computer science student.

I heard about this place thanks to a travelling member of your ranks who stopped by for a weekend.

I'm a bit of unix-geek, and also just a lover of shiny things.

Take care,
Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 13, 2008 09:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Anovadea!

Great to have you here. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 10:25      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard, Anovadea. There's a box of donuts in the back, help yourself [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 10:26      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Anovadea. [Smile]

/me pours you a cup of coffee to go with the donuts.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2008 16:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Anovadea good to see a new name in our midst, I am one of the resident old farts, retired and drawing a pension.

Please post often and enter into the discussions with the devil very carefully. Some people will attempt to miss quote you for their own amusement.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 13, 2008 16:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums Anovadea!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 07:15      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Some people will attempt to miss quote you

Cool! I love Miss Quote pageants. I just think they're the darnedest things! [Razz]

(You mean like that?)

Thanks for all the welcomes. [Smile]

Aoife

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 09:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
say, how long is it to Liverpoole from Dublin? They must have a ferry or somehting.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 09:42      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
say, how long is it to Liverpoole from Dublin? They must have a ferry or somehting.

Well, if you go by catamaran (the faster of the ferries) from Dublin to Holyhead, that's about an hour, and factor in about 40 minutes on each side of the water, we're up to 2:20, and then assuming there's a train in Holyhead ferry port, we're talking about another hour to Chester, and after that I'm not sure how far Liverpool is, probably about another half hour?

All tolled, if connections happen on time, and given ideal scheduling, we're talking about 4 to 5 hours.

(I'm a minor travel geek - I used to love making trips to London by ferry and train. They were little pilgrimages of mine. Unfortunately, my old mecca has burnt down though. [Frown] )

Anywho... why do you ask?

Aoife

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 10:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anovadea:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Well, if you go by catamaran (the faster of the ferries) from Dublin to Holyhead, that's about an hour, and factor in about 40 minutes on each side of the water, we're up to 2:20, and then assuming there's a train in Holyhead ferry port, we're talking about another hour to Chester, and after that I'm not sure how far Liverpool is, probably about another half hour?

All tolled, if connections happen on time, and given ideal scheduling, we're talking about 4 to 5 hours.

(I'm a minor travel geek - I used to love making trips to London by ferry and train. They were little pilgrimages of mine. Unfortunately, my old mecca has burnt down though. [Frown] )

Anywho... why do you ask?

Aoife

My wife is being sent to liverpool on business for 2 months. I thought I might stop by and see her once or twice but I am told liverpool is not really a nice city. Then I saw that Dublin was a short swim away and thought my wife amd I could spend a saturday there but if it will be 8 hours round trip travelling I don't know.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 10:37      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, if you want to visit Dublin, the quickest (and, more often than not, cheaper) way is to go by plane. Checkin times aren't as long, especially if you have no baggage (both Ryanair and Aer Lingus do online checkin - unlike Ryanair, Aer Lingus' online facility allows you to check luggage) and the flight is really short (Dublin to London is something like 40 minutes, so Liverpool's hardly anything)
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 13:48      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Welcome to GC!

How do you pronounce "Aoife"? (For those of us on the other side of the pond. I'm guessing it's of Gaelic descent?)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2008 19:37      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
How do you pronounce "Aoife"? (For those of us on the other side of the pond. I'm guessing it's of Gaelic descent?)

It's pronounced "Ee-fah". While the Irish language is lovely, and I wish I spoke more of it, it is a bit heavy on the vowels for a fairly simple name.

So it's a bit like Eva but with a hard 'f' sound (assuming you pronounce it with an 'ee' sound).

Fun fact, that name is banned in New Zealand - it's on their "funny names we won't let parents call their babies" list. (I remember this YEARS ago - it's hard to find a relevant article now)

Ee-fah

Beast Girl
Newbie Larva
Member # 14604

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 10:21      Profile for Beast Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Anovadea and wellcome [Smile]
A lover of shiny, you say? Most excellent [Big Grin] . I have a weak spot for zee shinies too *eyes her beloved gadgets*.

Anyways, here's some caffeine and have a nice time here [Smile] *brings out some freshly brewed coffee*

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture