homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » hi everyone and some questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hi everyone and some questions
xander92
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 17:22      Profile for xander92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all let me introduce myself, my real name is Oghuz, and I'm from Turkey, I'll be 16 next September, my first year at high-school ended in July, I'm learning English as foreign language at school, altough I often spend my spare time with my computer I use it to surf on the internet, read the news, read about everything, chat on the msn, and play some online games like OGame, NationStates and participate some forums, and as you can guess I don't know really about programming, I love reading books,and reading magazines like National Geographic, my favourite TV series were BtVS and The OC, but I watch some comedy series like How I Met Your Mother, I like indie music (The Shins, Evermore etc) , Muse and Radiohead are my favourite bands, I'm good at school, the best of my class and the 3rd of my school.
But I'm so bored and I know I'm not a geek really but I want to, because if not I feel like I will only be someone who knows lessons but at the other hand has no interest.
So, please light my way, and don't think it's a temporary desire, which books should I read and which programming language should I start with? And the other aspects of geekness. I've googled it but wanted to ask here anyway.

*sorry for grammar mistakes if I've did

--------------------
Life's a show and we all play our parts

Posts: 3 | From: Turkey | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 18:16      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and Welcome! [Smile]

With regard to your question -- don't worry about it -- learn whatever looks interesting. That's all that matters.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 18:38      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah - just do what interests you - a geek dosn't have to be someone who programs - yes there are programming geeks out there but it only makes up a small part of the geek population.

Plus you are only turning 16 so you have plenty of time to discover who you really are - now you have your whole life to figure that out - but its usually good to get the bulk of things out of the way now.

I know when I was your age and still do a bit now is just try out various things and see what interests me and what doesn't - but i never got really involved in anything really. But at least i know a bit more about myself and what i don't like and what i like a bit.

Now welcome to the forums.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 27, 2007 18:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO!!! SOMEBODY YOUNGER THAN ME!!!
He he, well, well...
Welcome to the forums xander92!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 21:42      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'sright, you're not the baby anymore. Don't worry, we can wear our green tights no matter how old we get...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 10:00      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! It's an interesting forum most of the time. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fuego
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9102

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 11:09      Profile for Fuego     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums! Nice to have so many of us young 'uns. [Smile]
Posts: 15 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 11:24      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice music [Smile]
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 12:35      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xander, you write more eloquently than most people your age whose first language is English.

Um, fictionwise, I'm a big fan of Ray Bradbury. Well, and myself. As for computer languages, I'm an end user (as WS will remind you with a miserable sigh as he fixes my computer issues yet again).

But . . . if you ever need a heads-up on vegetarian cookbooks or punctuation handbooks, I will be there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 20:15      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! I am not a programming geek by any means. I do a little fiddling around but it's very minor, usually to fix something that just takes a line or two of code. Sometimes it is not code at all, just files. I'm usually told what to do.

I hope to see you around!

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 13:58      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
He he, well, well...

If he's younger that yu then I'm deffinately yoounger than you.

BTW how many "younger" people are on Geek Culture, and what's the average age?

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 29, 2007 15:34      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turned 16 on May 25, and I was the youngest active member to date.
However, xander92 seems to be a bit inactive *pokes with a stick*...
Since I was unable to find your birth date stringlion, I dunno if you're younger than me.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 06:08      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stringlion:
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
He he, well, well...

If he's younger that yu then I'm deffinately yoounger than you.

BTW how many "younger" people are on Geek Culture, and what's the average age?

I dunno - I think it changes dependent on the week. Last couple weeks there's been a lot of new younger members while the older more senior members have crawled underneath a rock - so the average age has probably dropped. But then there are weeks where it is clearly the week of the old and the average age jumps as the younger geeks run away for a bit.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 06:10      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why you'd take any pride in being the youngest person on a forum anymore than you would being the oldest...

other than younger people like to carve out a niche for themselves...

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 08:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much like having a larger post count, winning a few dollars in a lottery, being elected homecoming queen or buying a powerful character in WoW, being the youngest is an 'accomplishment' that provides a false sense of success that validates self esteem.

... but I'll be nice and not dig into that too far.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture