homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Neurosis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neurosis
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 28, 2007 15:26      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized that I can be *sob* IGNORED! And I wouldn't even know it! There could be geeks posting that I admire and wish to interact with and they could choose not even to see me! I am deeply distressed by this and want you all to commit to letting me know before you make such a decission. I understand that everyone should have the right to ignore everyone else if they choose, but the idea that I can be ignored and I won't know about it is just too spooky.

Could you do that for me? Please? Just let me know prior to pushing the button. M'kay?

(Wow, that looks pretty needy... But I still feel it's a valid concern. I would encourage Snaggy and Nitrozac- or whoever else should be encouraged- to consider enabling a forum dealy that informs forum members when they are being ignored. That way they could avoid accidentally attempting to engage in futile dialog.)

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 16:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that ignoring a member can't be done at all, but I believe that you have misunderstood the function of that link.

Read and be enlightened

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 16:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct. UBB itself does not (that any of us know of) provide an Ignore feature, but, dragonman's Forums Munger script that some people use has such a feature (assuming you can read enough JavaScript to set it up thet way you want, anyhow).
IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 17:27      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. It was injurious to my sense of self-importance to believe I could be so callously cast asside. Perhaps next time I will read further before choosing to have an emotional response... [blush]

That said, I would still appreciate it if I were informed when my behavior made you wish you could ignore me. Maybe my affect on you in those instances is unintentional. I am commonly misunderstood. Some people who think they know me say I have a dry sense of humor, but those who really know me understand that it's all wet.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 18:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, on a forum it frequently feels like you're being ignored, whether you actually are or are not. With the advent of dragonman's GCFM script I've come to wonder whether I have actually been blocked by people.

The part that does hurt the most, is when you realise that the only two women who you hold real respect for, one seems to see you as a kid and the other pretty much ignores you flat out.

But I guess I have other things to win in this life, and women's respect is not one :P

I don't feel a need to install GCGM to ignore anyone, or any topics, I can do that all by myself. But generally, as you know, it's each to his or her own and if you did offend me, unless I felt it was something that is universally annoying, I'd typically say nothing.

IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 18:56      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scholastic, if it can help you feel better (taking the bold assumption that I am one among those you don't want to be ignored by - does that make sense or did I just mangle English beyond recognition? [Wink] ), I am of the foolish hordes (or little club?) who have an undying belief in humanity. That means I don't ever hit the ignore button on even the most trollish forum member, in the crazy hope that person could improve. I just tend to stay silent when my point of view has been covered by someone else. (With a few exceptions.)

Oh, and by the behaviour you've showed until now, I see no reason for you to bother about that.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 21:21      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stereo said:
That means I don't ever hit the ignore button on even the most trollish forum member, in the crazy hope that person could improve.

Here comes some ignorance expositionism: what is meant by trollish? I am not as net-savvy as I'd like. Until recently, I got all my info from books... What's the root meaning?

quote:
uilleann said:
The part that does hurt the most, is when you realise that the only two women who you hold real respect for, one seems to see you as a kid and the other pretty much ignores you flat out.

Take it for what it's worth: I generally enjoy reading your posts and I have long, beautiful hair (in a very heterosexual-male sort of way).

Back to Stereo: Feel free to mangle the English language. The dialect I speak isn't even, technically, English as I grew up in Utah and we barely speak North American. Also, feel free to boldly assume as you have.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 04:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Here comes some ignorance expositionism: what is meant by trollish? I am not as net-savvy as I'd like. Until recently, I got all my info from books...

The Urban Dictionary will help you with any difficulties you have with slang you encounter on the internet.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 09:06      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... If I start an arguement and then I get bored and stop making relevant arguments and then my attention-span expires (happens all the time...) and I wander off, then I'm a troll? I like straw-man arguments. Also, I like wickerman arguments because you can put your opponent inside and light it on fire.

Thanks for pointing me to the Urban Dictionary- now I can use it to acquire more slang terms in order to misuse them later. You should hear my sloppy-ebonics, it's totally wack. (yo.)

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way, Skoal. A Troll creates a new topic with an inflammatory one liner and then leaves. You blab way too much to be a troll [Big Grin] Not to mention, you can actually spel. Wel except for thosse doubled and not doublled leterrs [evil]

Edit: By the way, is Skoal better than SS? [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:59      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ugh, MightyClub:
By the way, is Skoal better than SS?

Well, I'm not sure... Has chewing tobacco killed more people than the occupying Nazi forces yet? Really, call me whatever you like. Just be warned that if you call me SS I might go try to work for the NSA. BTW, I cannot spell. I just pull up an online dictionary in another window and check on the words that make me nervous.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 03:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScholasticSpastic__________________Most of the text editers in Linux (at least the ones I know of) have the capability to have spell check turned on, then when you muck up it will be underlined. This will not correct for grammer or out and out failing to put a word in or useing an incorrect word (buy, by).

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 09:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
... grammer ...

They usually catch such misspellings of grammar too. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture