homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Fresh Meat!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fresh Meat!!!
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 24, 2007 11:15      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am now able to post and participate in the forums!!! I am of the Monastic Order of the Scholastic Spastics, which means I spend all my time studying, eating pizza, and writhing around on the floor. No girls. I live in rural Utah and my strict prohibition against having relations with animals I can't converse with keeps me abstinent.

I am a Sophomore, working on my BS in biology with a chemistry minor. New research opportunities have come in on the backs of big oil and I may end up pursuing a double major in Biology and Geochemistry. That'll make me an expert on dirt. That's okay, though, because you'd be surprised at what we don't know about dirt (a lot of the literature contains the words "underdefined" and "frontier" and stuff like that). The good news is that there's lots of dirt to study.

Why do I live in rural Utah if I'm a geek? Oil = money = grants and scholorships. I don't, personally, have any positive feelings about the petrochemical industry, but I'm not above letting them pay my way through college.

Currently, I'm working on a project studying the effects of selenium toxicity in a local wetland. I'll be presenting a poster at UCUR at the University of Utah next month. I'm very excited as this is my first step towards acquiring real geek cred. Right now we're doing soil bacteria, but there are also some marginal and aquatic plants we can examine as well as insects and vertebrates... This project could keep me busy until I run off to grad school.

I am very happy to be able to participate in this forum. You can be my adopted geek family- we have a real geek shortage here. Mostly, the population of Vernal (near dino. land) consists of hicks and oil-workers and oil-drilling hicks. I'm originally from Salt Lake City (Mormon capital of the world), so it's been difficult getting used to living here. It's cold- highs below freezing.

Oh, also, I'm very excited to be learning some of the basics of recombinant DNA techniques- it's cool playing (G)od!!! [Applause]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
I am a Sophomore, working on my BS in biology with a chemistry minor. New research opportunities have come in on the backs of big oil and I may end up pursuing a double major in Biology and Geochemistry. That'll make me an expert on dirt. That's okay, though, because you'd be surprised at what we don't know about dirt (a lot of the literature contains the words "underdefined" and "frontier" and stuff like that). The good news is that there's lots of dirt to study.

You. Are. Awesome.

quote:

Oh, also, I'm very excited to be learning some of the basics of recombinant DNA techniques- it's cool playing (G)od!!! [Applause]

Remember that when you find yourself begging the ligation gods for their favor. Most cloning problems begin with bad primers. The rest are the doings of sprites and elves and angry ligation gods.

I fscking HATE subcloning.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:34      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. [Smile]

You sound fun. Welcome to the forums.

[Applause]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:52      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xan! Another chemistry geek!! They're all slowly finding their way here!!! Sorry, welcome to GC, have fun and the coffee pot's around here somewhere....

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 11:54      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
New research opportunities have come in on the backs of big oil and I may end up pursuing a double major in Biology and Geochemistry. That'll make me an expert on dirt. That's okay, though, because you'd be surprised at what we don't know about dirt (a lot of the literature contains the words "underdefined" and "frontier" and stuff like that). The good news is that there's lots of dirt to study.

Yay, another mud lover [Smile] Now we just have to hope you see the light and switch over to some proper soft-rock geology...

quote:
Oil = money = grants and scholorships. I don't, personally, have any positive feelings about the petrochemical industry, but I'm not above letting them pay my way through college.

Don't get me started on the oil industry (which I'm actually in favour of, but it's as good a rant as any anti-oily would give). As you said, their funding is impressive, and more or less supports our entire department. Just make sure you like the stuff their doing before you accept the conditions associated with the money...
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 12:21      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my friends in my old hometown is a soil scientist, and would talk about his work from time to time. [Cool]

Nice to have you aboard.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 18:38      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother is Geotechnical and Hazmat Engineer... She not only study dirt, but tells the other engineers how much footing/concreate piles/ect. their buildings need not to sink, settle, tip, etc.; and to make sure that they aren't going to build a basement or well where there is natural gass or other toxins in the soil -- and supervises the clean up. She thinks dirt and rocks are really cool... I, personally, don't get it. Whatever floats your boat.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2007 19:55      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Spastic. Based on another post I just read I suspect you wouldn't pass up a hit on the Cosmic Bong, but I can't remember who's got it at the moment. I guess you'll have to make due with coffee for now.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 07:54      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone say coffee?

Welcome to the forums. We hope you enjoy your stay.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 08:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, before I forget, welcome. Others have already said pretty much what needed to be said, except for warnings, but it's far more fun when newbies discover the reason(s) behind by themselves. [evil]

Enjoy!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 09:22      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/insert evil cackle

[evil]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 10:15      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, though I have no moral objection to the cosmic bong as it merely represents a drug delivery system (like ibuprophen), now that I've found other things to do with my brain cells I seldom inhale (President Spastic [Roll Eyes] ). My revelations re the extent of my past experimentations were meant as a demonstration that drugs are not strictly the domain of twitchy junkies [crazy] . Often, though, dyskinesia can result from excessive experimentation- a fate that I am glad to have avoided. I will never turn down a cup of coffee- my last addiction now that I've quit smoking!!

Mostly, my interest in dirt is as a substrate for life. You don't really understand trees and grass and squirells unless you also understand the dirt beneath them. I like the idea of going into bioremediation because that's like having the whole world for a fishtank. Also, I have to do something about pollution if I'm going to wear my pony-tail proudly. Also, as far as density of life is concerned (outside of macroorganisms for whome a density of 100% living matter is expected), dirt is the most fecund space on earth. Lots of really cool critters live there (I'll try to post some pics of my plates I'm growing out- there are some very pretty buggers growing beneath our feet).

There are two long-hair stereotypes: party people and hippy activists. I'm bored with the party scene, so now I'm going to try the other stereotype. It's actually a lot more fashionable now.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 10:22      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Welcome, Spastic. Based on another post I just read I suspect you wouldn't pass up a hit on the Cosmic Bong, but I can't remember who's got it at the moment. I guess you'll have to make due with coffee for now.

I left it with Zodiak.

Welcome ScholasticSpastic. Make yourself comfortable.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 13:43      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I live in rural Utah and my strict prohibition against having relations with animals I can't converse with keeps me abstinent.

Expect an opposing viewpoint from Spungo in 3, 2, 1... [Big Grin]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 14:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
quote:
I live in rural Utah and my strict prohibition against having relations with animals I can't converse with keeps me abstinent.

Expect an opposing viewpoint from Spungo in 3, 2, 1... [Big Grin]
Sorry, dude - went out for a kebab...

There's no reason why one may not converse with our furry/fleecy friends... just avoid speaking Welsh - sheep run for miles when they hear that. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 15:26      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
[QUOTE]just avoid speaking Welsh - sheep run for miles when they hear that. [Wink]

There's no need to justify the statement. Just avoid speaking Welsh, period.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2007 17:25      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
[QUOTE]just avoid speaking Welsh - sheep run for miles when they hear that. [Wink]

There's no need to justify the statement. Just avoid speaking Welsh, period.
Speaking! [Eek!] I thought they had some kind of throat infection.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 25, 2007 19:46      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, don't explain how the sheep got a throat infection!!! [evil]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 10:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
Speaking! [Eek!] I thought they had some kind of throat infection.

Nah, that would be Flemish you're thinking about. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture