homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi from Mpls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi from Mpls
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 11:15      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

As a Joy of Tech fan, I ran across the forum and decided it might be fun to interact online with fellow geeks from time to time.

About me: Well, I guess I'll date myself and admit I joined the first wave of microcomputer geeks back when the Apple II came out. I've been pretty obsessed ever since. I would hate to calculate what I've spent on HW/SW over the years. On the up side, what started out as a hobby/passion has turned into a pretty good career over the years.

I used to program, but now I manage software people and love it. My only gripe is that corporate makes us use PCs mostly (but so far I can use my Mac laptop and they don't give me any grief as long as I'm self-supporting).

Of course, once my profession became computers, I had to come up with some other hobbies that rounded me out a bit. So I also enjoy playing the mandolin (it's my current passion) and digital photography rears its head as an obsession from time to time.

I don't do tv much, but I do have some favorite shows - Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, Threshold and the Stargates. If you let'em, that can take up quite a bit of your tv time, especially with tivo and all.

I have pretty broad musical tastes. I enjoy contemporary rock, jazz (the more melodic/retro kind), new age (still), accoustic music (bluegrass, folk, irish trad), classical (especially early music through the romantic era). Itunes and the iPod are the greatest inventions ever!

My favorite outdoor thing to do during a normal week is to take a walk along the Mississippi river front and hike into Northeast for coffee at Wilde Roast coffee shop. It's do-able as long as it stays above 10 degrees with or without windchill!

Anway, I look forward to chatting with you guys!

--------------------
MMG

Posts: 30 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 11:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacMandoGal:
I would hate to calculate what I've spent on HW/SW over the years. On the up side, what started out as a hobby/passion has turned into a pretty good career over the years.

It's not expenditure, then: it's investment! [Big Grin]

Welcome aboard, make yourself home, and if there's anything you'd like, just ask. (If we don't have it, we'll just pretend we do!) Others should be here shortly to show you around.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 13:41      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello sounds like you will fit right in

Beware the Grammar Nazis, Spelling Police and other oddities, try not to break any of the secret rules that we don't tell anyone until they have violated them [Big Grin] and have fun

Coffee is usually on the stove and if you can find who is hogging teh cosmic bong tell them to pass it on now!

Have fun

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 14:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MMG! What an awesome intro!

Welcome to the forums. All I know about the mandolin I learnt from listening to Tubular Bells. It sounds like you have similar taste in music to me, although I also have a secret shameful collection of Spice Girls and lots of other trashy pop.

Post lots!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted November 24, 2006 15:24      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
It's not expenditure, then: it's investment! [Big Grin]

Welcome aboard, make yourself home, and if there's anything you'd like, just ask. (If we don't have it, we'll just pretend we do!) Others should be here shortly to show you around.

Thanks! I keep telling myself that! 'course now that I'm "into" the mandolin and photography (DLSR, but of course) as hobbies, I'm having a mite bit more trouble rationalizing those purchases as "investments." I'm never going to be professional caliber at either of those!

Hmm, perhaps I should consider it a "medical" expense - therapy and all, y'know! [Wink]

--------------------
MMG

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 15:26      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Hey MMG! What an awesome intro!

Welcome to the forums. All I know about the mandolin I learnt from listening to Tubular Bells. It sounds like you have similar taste in music to me, although I also have a secret shameful collection of Spice Girls and lots of other trashy pop.

Post lots!

Thanks! OK, I'll also admit to a collection of somewhat recent country and western too. <sound of geek credentials being flushed>
[Eek!]

--------------------
MMG

MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 15:28      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Hello sounds like you will fit right in

Beware the Grammar Nazis, Spelling Police and other oddities, try not to break any of the secret rules that we don't tell anyone until they have violated them [Big Grin] and have fun

Have fun

[Big Grin]

I'll try. Thanks for the welcome!

--------------------
MMG

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 15:47      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minnesota? Minneapolis? I've heard of those...
They're suburbs of Chicago, right? [Big Grin]

Howdy, MMG.  - Welcome to GC Forums. Plenty of topics and folks to visit with in this place. Take some time, get acquainted with the group.

Wonderful intro! Thanks, it helps a lot. Post whenever and don't hesitate to experiment with the little tools above your post for editing, etc.

Country, bluegrass, classical... Nothing wrong with any of those and especially the mandolin.

BTW, Go Bears!

[Razz]
gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 19:11      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GG. And Chi-town is a bit far away for Mpls to be a freakin sub-urb! (grouse grouse) OK, I'll admit, I'm a burb-a-phobe. Probably a result of growing up in a town of 60K back on the gulf coast of Texas, 90 miles from Houston.

***whine*** when's it going to SNOW this year!!!! (OK, I think I was swapped at birth - my parents - native Texans...and their grandparents... can't figure out WHY I'd want to live where people are actually acquainted with -15 F and another 20 degrees windchill on top of that!)

Checked out your profile - must be a few more like you around this forum - this is one of the more comfortable places I've been around on the intertubes in a while, 'cepting Mandolin Cafe...very little cussing or politics there...what a respite from the fare that appears to b more and more common!

--------------------
MMG

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 19:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacMandoGal wrote:
this is one of the more comfortable places I've been around on the intertubes in a while, 'cepting Mandolin Cafe...very little cussing or politics there...what a respite from the fare that appears to b more and more common!

Obviously we have you completely fooled.

Welcome to the forums, none the less. Hope you find them enjoyable and maybe things will stay calm for a while longer.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 10:08      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
MacMandoGal wrote:
this is one of the more comfortable places I've been around on the intertubes in a while, 'cepting Mandolin Cafe...very little cussing or politics there...what a respite from the fare that appears to b more and more common!

Obviously we have you completely fooled.

Welcome to the forums, none the less. Hope you find them enjoyable and maybe things will stay calm for a while longer.

Um, just got to the religion and politics forum...ah, it's all here...but at least it's well ordered!

--------------------
MMG

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2006 22:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked out Fiddle Forum? They're more than just fiddles... quite a few other instruments and not all just strings. It's a great resource for tunes, tips, and even whacked-out conversation. Plus, they have a variety of Fiddle Hells each year where people get together for jams. It's quite fun I'm told. The next one is in two weeks.

Welcome to GC! I hope you'll stick around. We need more music geeks around here.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 07:32      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome bub, just leave your sanity at the door of the political threads.

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 12:53      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Have you checked out Fiddle Forum? They're more than just fiddles... quite a few other instruments and not all just strings. It's a great resource for tunes, tips, and even whacked-out conversation. Plus, they have a variety of Fiddle Hells each year where people get together for jams. It's quite fun I'm told. The next one is in two weeks.

Welcome to GC! I hope you'll stick around. We need more music geeks around here.

Thanks Rhonwyyn, and thanks for the tip on the fiddle forum. Scarily enough, I've also considered taking up the fiddle as an instrument. Except for the bowing, every tune I learn on the mandolin should translate, right? Although I'm told it could take years to get the bowing part down well enough to be heard in public!

Have you been to The Session? Pretty good folk (sounds like many of them are really Irish) and they have a huge library of Irish tunes. Also a wide variety of instruments!

--------------------
MMG

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 19:19      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, fresh meat!

Er, I mean, welcome, MMG. Sorry I'm late to the party, I've been mostly away from the computer all week. I see the cautionary tales have been told, and coffee's been offered. No idea where that Cosmic Bong's gotten off to, but there should be some good drinks in the back, in case you'd like to liven that coffee up a bit [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 07:01      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome MMG.

/makes a fresh pot of coffee

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 17:23      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRESH FISH!
[Big Grin]
[devil wand]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 21:48      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I'm caffinated, bonged, boozed to a buzz with all the terrific hospitality here! What a fun group!

--------------------
MMG

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 08:17      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums.... a little late, but meh...

/me waves

Now who has the coffee?

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 08:39      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MMG

I'll just wave from the NW corner of the cities.

-- Doco

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacMandoGal
Geek-in-Training
Member # 6374

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 13:03      Profile for MacMandoGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Hi MMG

I'll just wave from the NW corner of the cities.

-- Doco

Sure enough!! Hi!

--------------------
MMG

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture