homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Filling in some blanks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filling in some blanks
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 10:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All___________________________I may be missing for a while, During our heated debate about war and its justification. In my attempt to point out the inner demons that may lurk in CP, I opened some of my own sores. I don'know what demons he has but mine have come back. I get really frustrated by people that have never been to war claiming that some one who has, is a coward. I also get frustrated when my own vocabulary fails me when trying to explain to some one what real hell war is. I feel a kinship with the Russians that fought in Afghanistan, I feel a kinship for the Iraqi and Iranians that have fought for so many years.

Last night I hit the ground rolling and was out of the bedroom in a full crouch, some sound, some smell, or a dream blew me back thirty years, ITS LIKE THE MOVIE GROUND HOG DAY, when will it go away?

I know that many of you may claim to know vets that do not behave like CP and myself but there are a lot more like us, haunted by our memories. Some time look up the test for PTSD and read each question carefully and then think what you would feel like if you had to answer them all with a yes. The special outfit I was with had 26 men finish the education to do what we did, 20 came back and only 6 are still alive. You know he died of wood poisoning (head on with a tree) or bridge poisoning (again head on no skid marks). No I am not contemplating doing myself in but I have in the past thought about how easy it would be to do, however they keep making cars safer and more crash worthy I would probably ruin the damn car and still be alive.

The shrub said once that the war with Saddam was because he tried to kill my Dad, is that a valid reason to spend the lives of three thousand of our finest?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 10:40      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wishing you the best from someone who admittedly doesn't know what you are going through.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 11:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of my own behavior played any part in your pain, I sincerely apologize.

I hope it didn't, because my intent was to get CP to stop grouping me with people who represent almost the exact opposite viewpoint that I have. I considered letting it go, but doing that leads to people believing there might be a grain of truth in what is said about you, so I said what I said.

I want you to know that, even if I don't agree with everything you've said, I have a great deal of respect for you and your opinions and I look forward to your return. Until then, my thoughts go with you.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 11:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you get back on top of your health issues soon, MoMan. You have my best wishes and I hope to see you posting soon.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 11:43      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Apocalipse Now" for the first time a few weeks ago. I have no experience of war, but as someone who is interested in the mystery of the brain, I can totally understand how it can mess up the finest and strongest. I don't have the beginning of an idea of what it is like to have been through it, I can only sympathise. (Kinda reminds me a song by Vilains Pingouins called "Dieppe". I may post a translation of it.)

So get well soon, MoMan. And let's keep the hope that some day, leaders will find other ways to solve their problems than sending good people kill (and be killed by) good people.

(BTW, and slightly related, I don't remember having seen Jace around lately. I hope he's fine.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 18:44      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Godspeed, MoMan. I've never been in a combat situation, or anything even close, but I work with two guys that were in 'Nam and I see how it affected them -- both in different ways.

If it would help to talk about some of your experiences, specific events, or whatever, post away. It may be valuable for you to verbalize it (inasmuch as typing in a forum is verbalizing), and it may be good for some of us to hear it. Or feel free to PM me, if you want. I can't promise to have any answers, but I'd be happy to listen [ohwell]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 26, 2006 19:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, thanks for sharing that with us. I hope you can sleep well soon.

A friend tuned me onto a song yesterday... Monster Hospital by Metric. Here's the chorus's lyrics...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I fought the war
I fought the war
I fought the war
but the war won

I fought the war
I fought the war
I fought the war
but the war won't stop for the love of God.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 22:05      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that, as somebody who posted a rather scathing reply on one of those threads, I should tell you MoMan that much like Steen, I have naught but respect for you- it's CP that was getting on my nerves.

Good luck with the recovery. I've heard of the stigma that surrounds 'nam vets and getting help, so I hope you find people to help you.

And I'll also say that I'm a willing ear if you want to talk.

Good luck and God speed.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 22:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Snaggy - good quote. I see you've found a fine bridge between Canada & NY. [Smile] I forget who / what introduced me to Metric ages ago, but I kind of like them. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 22:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hey, Snaggy - good quote. I see you've found a fine bridge between Canada & NY. [Smile] I forget who / what introduced me to Metric ages ago, but I kind of like them. [Smile]

I have a free subscription to Paste and the song Snaggy quoted was on one of the CDs included with the magazine every other month. Simple text, but poignant nonetheless.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 23:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do what you need to do MoMan, and good luck.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 27, 2006 10:54      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to apologize if my comments had anything to do with it and reiterate my respect for you. While I would like to see you back soon, I know these things can take time. Take care.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 18:37      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take care, Mo Man.

They simply don't know the kind of hurt they create. I try to give them just a molecule of it, but they can never know. They still think life makes sense.

The three thousand you wrote of are the lucky ones. Scars live in the living.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ruhrpottbabe
Mini Geek
Member # 5113

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2006 04:11      Profile for Ruhrpottbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: I have no idea what you might be going through as all I know about wars is what Hollywood taught me, but I hope that you will get over it one day, the sooner the better.
Is there any chance you might get professional help in fighting your demons? Sometimes it helps to talk to a stranger who is completely unbiased ... [Smile]

--------------------
In a world of excess, it's the subtle that stands out.

Posts: 69 | From: Germany | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture