homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hello Folks. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello Folks.
Fred Gibbons
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 04:21      Profile for Fred Gibbons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Fred Gibbons, and I live in Hertfordshire. It's a nice place, I've lived here for around 5 years.
I'm currently a messeging systems engineer, It's higly boring, but at the moment it's a means to an end. I hope to get into the engineering field some time soon.
My interests.. Well I enjoy computers, especially macs, I have two myself, I won't bore you with the details.
I like vintage audio equiptment, and vintage gaming systems, I collect and restore such items, I have a large collection now.
I hav'nt regestered to a forum for many years, so my forum skillz may be a little rusty.
The reason I'm here is mainly becuase of JoT, I love the comics, have read them for a long time now, and then i saw the forum and felt like meeting some new folk, so here I am.

Posts: 15 | From: Hertfordshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 05:13      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard my friend

You sound like just the sort of guy who will fit right in...

Post thoughtfully and often... 1337 sk1llz not required or encouraged!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 06:37      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Fred Gibbons. Welcome to the forums.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 07:23      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day and welcome Fred. Hope you enjoy it here.

Just a quick warning, watch out for the grammar nazis and spelling police. Oh, and be careful when necroposting. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 07:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Fred Gibbons.  - Welcome to GC Forums. Thank you for your polite self-introduction, it helps. May you enjoy your time here and post whenever you have something to contribute.

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 09:09      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Fred.

So, what are some of your favorites in your vintage gaming collection?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 11:19      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fred

Sounds like you'll fit right in here. [Smile]
Enjoy your stay, and watch out for the occaisional flame that comes out of nowhere. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 11:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome,

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 13:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Hertfordshire messaging engineer eh? Where abouts and what company? I'm originally from Abingdon and have a pal in Berkhamstead. And I applied for a job with Data Connection a while back, who I believe are in that area.

Anyways, welcome!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 13:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums, and hopefully the regulars won't beat you to hard when you make a mistake in a post.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 13:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
(...) and hopefully the regulars won't beat you to hard when you make a mistake in a post.

Don't worry, we usually only beat those who make mistakes repeatedly. [crazy]

... What? I'm missing something?

Oh, right! Welcome Fred! What else... Yes! I'll get the Halloween treats in shortly, so a little more patience, please. Until then, there should still be a good choice of beverage in the fridge, help yourself!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 14:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working in communications in Herts?
How appropriate.

Greetings and welcome, coffee's on the table down the back, next to the somewhat stale cake. The good whiskey's on the high shelf, behind the large pile of old Byte magazines.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fred Gibbons
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 14:36      Profile for Fred Gibbons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the late reply folks, I have been traveling for about 7 hours today, I'm a little weary now.

quote:
Just a quick warning, watch out for the grammar nazis and spelling police.
I think having people like this is a huge bonus to the community, my spelling and grammar is normally OK, but you'd me suprised how poor spelling and grammar is on a lot of forums. I visit a few other sites mainly for tech news and such, I see the links to the forums there, the spelling and grammar is appalling! - it helps to have that feuture, I would be more than happy for my mistakes to be pointed out.

quote:
what are some of your favorites in your vintage gaming collection?
Well I try to buy consoles in fairly poor condition, as I enjoy restoring them, I don't get time to play on my systems all that often, but I think my favorite is the 16 bit SNES, it came to me in ridiculously poor condition, and I was very happy with the restore, this was in bad condition, that was probally my single best restore I've ever done. I might post some pictures ITT
some time, but I'm a litte teird right now after the journey, and going into detail on a passionate subject will end this night shortly.

quote:
Where abouts and what company?
I knew this would come up, I work for MI5, don't worry I'm allowed to disclose that infomation!
No it's nothing like that, believe me, working for the MI5 really isn't all that it's cracked up to be. If it was cracked up to be anything.. no I'll stop there, otherwise this will turn into an increadbly long rant, *ahem*. Oh, and I travel all over the place.

quote:
there should still be a good choice of beverage in the fridge, help yourself!
quote:
coffee's on the table down the back, next to the somewhat stale cake. The good whiskey's on the high shelf, behind the large pile of old Byte magazines.
Excellent!

Thank you all for the kind welcomes, I very much look forward to meeting you all.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 15:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But tell me, Mr Gibbons ... do you have a ribbon?
IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 15:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Gibbons:

quote:
what are some of your favorites in your vintage gaming collection?
Well I try to buy consoles in fairly poor condition, as I enjoy restoring them, I don't get time to play on my systems all that often, but I think my favorite is the 16 bit SNES, it came to me in ridiculously poor condition, and I was very happy with the restore, this was in bad condition, that was probally my single best restore I've ever done. I might post some pictures ITT
some time, but I'm a litte teird right now after the journey, and going into detail on a passionate subject will end this night shortly.

That's very cool. My youngest brother somehow ended up with our old SNES for a while, and it didn't last too long under his "care" (I think he threw it out). I really miss that system sometimes. I hear that they are getting harder and harder to find, too. However, our Atari 2600 still works perfectly, and one of my other brothers has been hanging on to it. [Geek]

Don't feel like you have to rush replies out. It isn't normally too fast-paced around here, and I doubt anyone would think twice of you taking a day or so to reply.

As far as your workplace goes, I'd crack a joke, but I don't think I can come up with anything you haven't most likely heard a few hundred times already. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 15:27      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fred, sounds good, I like old gaming systems too, enjoy your stay [thumbsup]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 26, 2006 15:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fred!

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome!!!!! [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 16:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
But tell me, Mr Gibbons ... do you have a ribbon?

No, no, uilleann, Stibbons has the ribbon. I believe Mr. Gibbons has a bib on.

Eh? Oh, sorry. Welcome, Fred. Looks like you're all set for vittles, but who's got the Cosmic Bong this time? You holding out on us again Taco?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 04:54      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
¡Hola, Amigo!

<paranoia_mode> Hmm.. MI5.. Messaging Systems Engineer.. So you're the guy who reads our IM's [Razz] </paranoia_mode>

Welcome aboard!, post often..

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 12:26      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Gibbons. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy the stay.

/returns to lurkdom

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fred Gibbons
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 16:09      Profile for Fred Gibbons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugurcan:
<paranoia_mode> Hmm.. MI5.. Messaging Systems Engineer.. So you're the guy who reads our IM's [Razz] </paranoia_mode>

[evil]

Thank you all for the welcomes once more, there much appriciated. [Smile]

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 16:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh: It's from Tales of the Blode ;) It has to be a gibbon. With a ribbon. Has Fred come flying to the rescue?
IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 17:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I see. That was a rather painful ten minutes of my life. I rather prefer the Ninja song [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 17:37      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been gone... so welcome!

/me grumbles about always being the late one.... [shake head]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 19:28      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Fred Gibbons. [Smile] You seem to be fitting right in. [thumbsup] Hope you like it.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture