homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Who Am I?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Am I?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 13:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All____________________Who am I, Damned if I know. Some of you have commented on my writing style as being not unlike Dalton Trumbo, NO my name is not Dalton. My problem when getting words onto paper or a screen is that I get too far ahead of my abilities to push a stick (pencil) or type with my fingers, I have even invested in Via Voice and installed it on one the the Macs around here, but even it could not figure out my speech patterns. I often get so far ahead of my self as to drop whole sentences out of what I intended to write. Spelling, I have never mastered that, some times I will rewrite a sentence so that it contains words I can spell. Now put me in a group of Scots and or Irish that do not speak American English and in thirty minutes my Yankeness is gone.
I wish that just once that my thoughts could be in the same day my body is, some times it feels that it is two weeks separating them.

Now "lets hear PAINT IT BLACK."

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 14:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you feel better MoMan, I rephrase sentences all the time so I can use words I can actually pronounce. I can spell just fine when I'm paying attention. Saying stuff, OTOH... [shake head]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 15:50      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Writing is rewriting

-

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2006 17:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend far too long twiddling with my posts, trying to make them read better. Ever so slightly anal really, and words are disobedient thugs, always wandering off, kicking up litter, and spraying graffiti over the true meaning.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 19:14      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo Man,

Unless you're trying to pull a Jack Kerouac, the stream of consciousness thing really doesn't work out.

If you write enough, use a word processor to capture thoughts, then go back and connect them. It takes a while to get the knack of it.From what you describe, your on your way.

If you're ideas are strong enough, you can hire a proofreader. For posting in here Rhonnie will do it for you. [Wink] .

If your ideas are really strong, they'll piss off a lot of stupid people. Then you'll know your on the right track.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 19:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you can just redefine atheist to be the same thing as a fundamentalist and tell blatant lies about people. Much easier than having strong ideas.

Still waiting for an answer, CP.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 19:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen: Sorry but I really must ask that you not feed trolls around here. Especially barking, hysterical ones without testicles such as PH.

It just does not pay.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 19:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not feeding... just poking with a pointy stick like object to see how much it takes to make it go 'pop'

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2006 19:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good strategy. Let me know if you run low on sticks. We gotta lotta 'em 'round here.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 05:25      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Calli:
I spend far too long twiddling with my posts, trying to make them read better. Ever so slightly anal really...

I find myself re-checking my posts to avoid a verbal bashing from the ever-present grammar police that patrol these forums. This, I must admit, is a relatively new process for me (In engineering, the words are generally not as important as the pictures, numbers, or symbols).

However, I think it's a healthy fear, and a good one to bring my writing skills up to par (I hope).

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 09:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
If your ideas are really strong, they'll piss off a lot of stupid people. Then you'll know your on the right track.

Right, and there are a *lot* of stupid people hanging around Geek Culture. Hardly a brain cell among the whole lot. And don't forget that an insulting statement works much better than a thoughtful, reasoned argument [Roll Eyes] .

(Sorry, gg, I couldn't restrain myself this time.)

MoMan, don't sweat your posting style. I meant no insult when I noted the flow of consciousness.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 11:03      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I end up throwing out a lot of what I write, too. A number of times I've crafted a post, but by the time I'm ready, the thread's moved on, or someone's already posted something similar. For some reason, I rarely can bring myself to post anything that essentially amounts to "me too." [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 11:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too!

umm...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 16:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But remember Moman these forums are supposed to be a place for us geeks to share ideas and thoughts. And not about if you can create the perfect post. So what if you spell a word wrong or make a sentence sound like crap who dosn't as long as you get your point across. You know you've made a good post when the only thing someone can reply to it is a grammer mistake or make an insult. Because it means they can't think of anything to combat your awesome post.

question: what has happend to the forums lately. Its been a lot of political crap and not a lot of geek news. Come on fellow geeks I want to see some very mind bogeling topics.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2006 06:27      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New 3D animated and live action Star Wars TV series are in the works.

Sooooo geeky! [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture