homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » I Think I Might Be A Geek Girl...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Think I Might Be A Geek Girl...
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2006 23:46      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, i'm a new member of this forum... er, hi.

I'm 16, still in school and only a few close friends. Or friends, if i'm honest. Guys just... don't show any interest, if anything they'll just pick on me one day and then never speak to me the rest of the time. Meaning that I generally haven't had any luck with guys at all.

I spend a lot of time at home, i'm not very social at all. A HELL of a lot of this is on the internet. I probably talk to more "friends" on the internet than I do in real life.

I also look like a bit of a geek as well.

The thing that makes me doubt that i'm a proper geek is that I don't have major interest in a lot of the stereotypical geek things. I'm not THAT into sci-fi (though I ADORE the original Star Wars movies... and Doctor Who is absolutely brilliant.) I am not a fantastic gamer, though I love a bit of Tetris, and Pacman's cool too. And I do not know THAT much about computers at all really. Despite how much time I spend on them. Another thing, is that i'm not really that stereotypical kind of smart, I get quite good exam results but they're not amazingly good. Though, when it comes to pop culture stuff and facts, i'm generally good.

I tend to get really geeky over the things I love. I'm obsessed with music, and i'm an utter comedy nerd and love to discuss it at great length on internet forums. I also do occasional "humourous" cartoon strips or drawings, often relating to music. This has been pointed out to me by others as a good talent of mine. Another one is that I apparantely have a really good sense of humour, which probably links to my heavy passion for comedy.

So er, hi. And what do you guys think? Am I a bit of a geek or not at all? I don't mind either way really. Part of me hopes I am, just to fit in somewhere!

Thanks for reading, L. Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Posts: 15 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 00:23      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC TetrisRock.

I don't know, I think you sound pretty geeky, but there are a whole range of geeks around. I'm not sure that you can 'look' like a geek though. Check out some of the profile pics here...definitely no one look to people.

I know where you're coming from with friends, etc. I'm a bit the same. Most of my friends are on the Net too.

Everyone here is really nice. Just don't get caught in a flame war between the political lefties and righties. Unless you want to stoke the fire, of course. [Wink]

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to find a niche here to fit into. Specially with those three magic words - original Star Wars

MTFBWY [Big Grin]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 00:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings TR, pull up a pew, cake's on the table, Irn Bru's in the fridge.

Good to see another scot on GC (although I've been away for long enough that I've just about forfeited the right to call myself a scot any more).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 06:28      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the GC forums.

It might sound cheezy but only you can decide who YOU want to be. If you want to be a geek then be a geek if you want to be part of the so called "popular" crowd then be part of that crowd. If you want to have luck with guys then don't let them push you around. You say your funny, then use that to your advantage. If a guy comes and makes fun of you then stand up for youself and make fun of him back. To me you sound like a natural geek but thats just my opinion.

and again welcome.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 08:34      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC. If we run out of coffee don't forget to make more. Can never have enough of that stuff.

I looked at your blog breifly. Madona is good, I think she has earned her place in music despite being pop. Gwen Stifani Is hot but after she turned away from Ska music it was all down hill. She just became a face. Just playing it up in the pop scene. She at one time showed a lot of promiss but not really any more. Other then that I don't think any of the albums and bands on the right side of your blog really has anything viable to base being called artists or musicians.

Some of my favorite bands include, But are not limited to....

Beatles, Doors, Disturbed, Rob Zombie, Matalica, Aerosmith, Maryilin Manson (Yes I think Manson has a good message if you get past his apearence and on stage antics) And some other classic and new rock bands.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 10:47      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! You probably read one of Greg's posts. I haven't posted on the blog in a while now due to my general unenthusiasm for modern music at the moment.

I'm currently listening to more music from the 70s and early 80s. All of the music listed down the side of the blog is what Greg listens to, he put them up there. I will listen to some of it though.

The general point of our blog is that we don't care how "pop" or "silly" anything we listen to is anyway.

Posts: 15 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 15:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
Welcome to GC TetrisRock.

I don't know, I think you sound pretty geeky, but there are a whole range of geeks around. I'm not sure that you can 'look' like a geek though. Check out some of the profile pics here...definitely no one look to people.

I know where you're coming from with friends, etc. I'm a bit the same. Most of my friends are on the Net too.

Everyone here is really nice. Just don't get caught in a flame war between the political lefties and righties. Unless you want to stoke the fire, of course. [Wink]

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to find a niche here to fit into. Specially with those three magic words - original Star Wars

MTFBWY [Big Grin]

Dude, you totally missed this this one.

[Razz]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2006 20:14      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, Jace just got there first. [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture