homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Very sad (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Very sad
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 2 posted April 26, 2006 21:06      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.
I needed a place to vent and I thought that this was the most reasonable place to do it.
Last night my dog died. [weep] He had gotten into rat poison from our backyard sheds.
Is it childish to be upset? We have always had animals, and sometimes through delivery one of the weak pups/kittens wouldn't make it. Also, we have had tragedies in several of our younger pets. However, I have never lost one that I was attatched to (except a bird).
It was just such a shocker, you know. When I left in the morning, he was fine and playful. Then I come home and .....
The worst part was seeing him sick. He was practically catatonic.
I cried pretty hard last night, and had watery eyes periodically throughout the day.
I was trying to tell a friend exactly what had happened, but my voice kept breaking up. Pathetic, I know, but I was so attatched.
It was especially terrible when I came home. I usually greet both dogs as soon as I walk in the door.
Today, all that was heard: "Hey Albert.....*sniffles*."
When we burried him I was going mad looking for his favorite toy. I am ok for now, but I can only imagine how I will feel when I find his little froggie.

[Frown]

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 21:08      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh... he wasn't even a year old !
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 21:51      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be insensitive, but the pen and paper icon is there so you can edit your posts instead of creating new ones.

The worst part about losing dogs is that there are some truly smart ones, and they are hard to come upon. That's what happened when we lost our first dog, she was freaking brilliant.

Now we have two english springer spaniels as bird dogs, and they're pretty smart, but they aren't as smart as the first one. And one of them is gunshy, so she's pretty much worthless. Oh well.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 04:41      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorned0Fortress,
you have my sympathies, I know that it's hard when you're attatched to a pet. And believe me, it never gets and easier.

May I suggest replacing the remaining rat poision for glue traps to ensure this doesn't happen again?

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 05:57      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My condolences. I know if any my fiance's dogs died, she'd be a total mess. I, myself, would probably be a little sad, but not terribly heartbroken.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 06:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up with a black lab named Jack. We had him from when he was 4 years old when I was 13 or so, until my parents put him down a few years back when I was 21. He lived to be 12 or 13, which is moderately old for a black lab. He was old, and was starting to have a hard time getting up, etc, and my parents always said as soon as he was starting to hurt just to live, they'd put him down, as they've seen far too many people keep their animal alive far longer than they should for their own enjoyment.

So a few years back, my Mom took him down to Tim horton's, and bought him an entire box of Timbits, and took him to the vet to be put down.

That dog will always be 'my puppy' even though when we got him, he was > 75lbs. I loved that dog dearly, and it was really sad to see him go, but much like humans, I wasn't overly upset. I'd much rather celebrate the awesome dog he was and what I loved about him, and remember that he did live a long, healthy life, and was loved dearly by us, than think about the fact that he was gone.

All in all, what I'm saying is try and focus on what a great dog he was and why you loved him and why you were so attached to him, rather than think about what happened. It's infinitely better that way.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 07:14      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
75# for a lab, that's sounds pretty big. Must have been all of those doughnuts.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 07:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
75# for a lab, that's sounds pretty big. Must have been all of those doughnuts.

He was a black lab and border collie mix, and he was in perfect health. Little stubbier than labs, but was muscle head to toe -- he usually only got one timbit a day when he got used to the fact that drive in the car == mom's going to tim horton's, and they feed me timbits when I stick my face out the window.

He got up to about 84lbs when he got a little pudgier, but all in all, he was a healthy, strong dog for his life. 12 is pretty good age for a lab.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 07:41      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newf: This is probably inappropriate and if it were anyone but you I probably wouldn't post it, but... Upon doing the math, either the dog was 8 when he was put down or you were 9 when your parents got him. </pedant>

Thorned0Fortress: It is truly sad when a pet dies. A lot of people don't understand how big an impact pets can have on you and how they can become part of your family. I know that my Mom's Shish-Tzu, Max, will be dreadfully missed when his fateful day comes. He's been there with her through some really tough times and just seemed to wander into Mom's life when she needed him most. He has such a unique (and paranoid) personality, we will all miss him when he's gone. [cry baby]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 07:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 13 when my parents got him, and at that time, he was 4.

He was put down when he was 12 or 13, which would have been 8 or 9 years, later.

13 + 8 = 21.

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 08:47      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 * 7 = 84 human years

I know a chihuahua mix who is 17 years old and is pretty spry.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
12 * 7 = 84 human years

I know a chihuahua mix who is 17 years old and is pretty spry.

Bigger dogs generally have shorter lifespans.
Casspiaffe
Newbie Larva
Member # 4979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:33      Profile for Casspiaffe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, Thorned, I am so sorry. I am an animal person...horse, dog and cat. They are my family.

I've lost horses, dogs and cats ove rthe years. It takes its toll, but it is still worth loving them! I just recently made a drum in the Cherokee tradition that has hair from several of my horses and all of their names written in the rim. It was my way of honoring all they have given to me.

They say that the reason dogs don't live so long is that they don't need as long as humans to do what they need to do in this life.

I had to put down my 21 year old cat last fall. It was the right thing to do, and all that, but you do miss them. I just moved some furniture and found a big ole bunch of white hair (she was a long haired tuxedo cat.)

It does affect you, so give yourself some leeway to grieve. It is OK. There isn't anything wrong with loving critters (or people.) It just shows your empathy and compassion for living creatures.

Cass

PS - I second the removal of the poison. Another thing to consider, other than dogs or cats eating the poison, is that they may eat the rat that ate the poison with the same unfortunate effect.

--------------------
WARNING: Three chopsticks is too many!

Posts: 8 | From: Austin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:39      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. No, it is not childish to be upset. Some people don't seem to get all that attached to animals, but lots of people do. I always take it very hard when a pet dies. I have had a dog and a cat both die within the last couple of years. The cat died fairly young from a heart defect. My dog was nearly sixteen years old. I was equally sad about both of them. After my cat died, I would find his little toys hidden in places and be sad all over again. Anyway, so there's no reason to feel bad about the way you are feeling. I hope that you are able to feel better soon.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 10:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. It's always difficult losing a beloved pet, even if you haven't had it that long.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 14:12      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Not to be insensitive, but the pen and paper icon is there so you can edit your posts instead of creating new ones.

Thank you , I didn't know that.
And thank you everyone for your support.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 27, 2006 15:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thorned, I am very sorry to hear about your dog. I've had a number of pets during my life, and it has always been devastating when they die, especially when due to tragic circumstances. [weep]

dnm's mom, re: Tim Hortons timbits. Mag Valour. Jack got the send off every Canadian dog dreams about. [Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 15:33      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

When I was 14 (only six years ago, heheh [Wink] ), we adopted a puppy. He was a mutt, but an amazingly handsome dog. I spent quite a bit of time training him, and in the end, became quite attached.

When he was about a year and a half old, he developed a brain tumor, and turned on us. He tried to bite everyone who would get near him, even me. We had to put him down.

It was quite a difficult mix of feelings - sadness on the one side, but resignment to the fact that he could not be allowed to live.

Losing a pet is not fun. He is after all a member of the family, animal or not.

My sympathies go out to you during this time of loss. [weep]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 15:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF I am very sorry you are going through this shocking and horrible time. When a pet dies, it is just as upsetting as if it was a human member of the family, the only difference being you feel slightly foolish talking about it. Dogs give you such complete and unqualified love, that it cuts deep when they go.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 17:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's nothing pathetic or foolish about grieving over the loss of a loved one, regardless of species. It just means you loved them and they were fortunate enough to be loved while they were here.
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 19:32      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day I was pondering and I thought "what would happen if suddenly we had to evacuate our home?" Then the thought struck me: "What would happen if we had to leave Rusty behind?"

I think I bawled for about 10 minutes straight just thinking about it, and now I'm getting emotional again [weep]

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 20:23      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
TF I am very sorry you are going through this shocking and horrible time. When a pet dies, it is just as upsetting as if it was a human member of the family, the only difference being you feel slightly foolish talking about it. Dogs give you such complete and unqualified love, that it cuts deep when they go.

The thing that shocks me is how suddenly it all happened. [Frown]
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 20:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Losing a dear friend of the animal kingdom is indeed hard. Others have mentioned the unconditional love and devotion dogs often show to their human families. It is no wonder we take them deeply into our hearts and hold them dearly.

Your sadness is completely understandable.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 23:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the loss of your friend. It will be a rough time when my cat dies, she is like our child. When my dog died from congestive heart failure years ago I was not home, but when I got the call I already knew she had died before my mom even told me why she was calling me.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2006 08:09      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fortress, Were you using Arsenic? I sugest using Wafrin instead seeing that you have other pets. You can probably pick it up at your local Tractor Supply. This will keep your other pets happy and healthy.

Just a thought from sympathy (I too have lost several pets.) [Frown]

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture