homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » me.back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: me.back
mephisto-back
Newbie Larva
Member # 4982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 04:29      Profile for mephisto-back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm back. Its been years I think since I was last around. Its been long enough that I don't even remember my old password. Pity, I liked my old member number (666).
Anyways. Hey Everyone.
I'll be lurking around... and posting even maybe...

Posts: 6 | From: india! | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2006 06:10      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mephisto! Welcome back [Big Grin] [Applause] ... great to see you.
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mephisto-back
Newbie Larva
Member # 4982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 06:41      Profile for mephisto-back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay. People remember me still.
I'm stuck in India. We built our offices here. We'll be doing R&D for some of our stuff here and all the development of all software for the company. Pictures will follow.
[Smile]
They're up on mah msn space. Just too lazy to put them on here. give me a day or two.

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 07:05      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back. I'ld love to hear more about your Indian experience. I tele-manage a bunch of guys in the Ukraine. It's, umm, interesting.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 08:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey mephisto!

Let me send you your old password... that member number is too good to give up. [evil]

(Hmmm, of course, how do I know it's really you? email me your old email address.)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 15, 2006 09:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mephisto. Don't worry, we still remember you. Well, the sub-1000 gang, at least. [Wink]

Welcome back!

Now, you say you work in India - with indian-level salary (if so, how does it compare on a cost-of-living basis) or with North-America/Europe-like rates? How does it feel to be the "imported workforce"? Any story to tell? C'mon have a beer (or two!) - unless you'd prefer some tchai, of course - and tell us all! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 16:19      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now is the time for old members to return! Hey, mephisto.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 17:48      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC mepisto also posted under PopePerl or PerlPope, for a little while... or was it another old timer...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 18:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always nice to see the older members drop in. Welcome back!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
mephisto-back
Newbie Larva
Member # 4982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 21:10      Profile for mephisto-back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Hey, Mephisto. Don't worry, we still remember you. Well, the sub-1000 gang, at least. [Wink]

Welcome back!

Now, you say you work in India - with indian-level salary (if so, how does it compare on a cost-of-living basis) or with North-America/Europe-like rates? How does it feel to be the "imported workforce"? Any story to tell? C'mon have a beer (or two!) - unless you'd prefer some tchai, of course - and tell us all! [Big Grin]

nah. me, work? no! I own the company. well half of it anyways. But I do work with my developers, the same insane hours that they work. Its very ".com" [Smile] I know. I'll be called an evil out-sourcerer.....
Living here is fine. Especially since its on the same amount that I live comfortably in North america on, I'm fine. I got an apartment out here and all. Its nice. I'm getting a cook and a maid. I like it here. I like the people. Even the music. It's like being home. They have a great cafe chain here. Its called Mocha. Since i've been single for the last little while, I even started seeing someone. sort of casually. well, about as casually as one can see a girl in india. Pretty, intelligent, a network engineer to boot.
But the funny part is most if not all of my family is constantly trying to get me married off. I feel like a piece of meat being pimped out. Funny as all hell.

mephisto-back
Newbie Larva
Member # 4982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 21:11      Profile for mephisto-back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
IIRC mepisto also posted under PopePerl or PerlPope, for a little while... or was it another old timer...

don't remember anymore. I guess all that 'e' when I was younger didn't really help. don't think it was me tho. Too cerebral of a nick to be mine.
mephisto-back
Newbie Larva
Member # 4982

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 21:13      Profile for mephisto-back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Hey mephisto!

Let me send you your old password... that member number is too good to give up. [evil]

(Hmmm, of course, how do I know it's really you? email me your old email address.)

check your private message.
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 23:22      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back. I'm back. that's right. Phear the old man.
muhahhahaha.....
be scared. really, really scared.
I think I have a dev meeting to go to now. *hides horns and runs away to board room.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:24      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think that might have been MeckaMon?

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 23:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WB Mephisto. Sounds fascinating. Can't wait to see pics of India.

(Weren't you and Annie a thing, ages and ages ago?)

ARJ: Yeah, I think you are right on the alter ego.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 03:37      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back.
Sounds like you're really working hard on that hard core core coding? [Wink]

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 09:02      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

Aye, they were.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 12:17      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

Aye, they were.
Three or so years and a lot of stupid shit ago. Yeah.
But I was a child i broke the best thing in my life.....
And by the time I realised what I had done, it was too late.
I never deserved her to begin with. She is "the one that got away."
But I've moved on as I'm sure she did. But I've never really gotten over her. I don't think I ever really will. But that's kinda the best part. It reminds me what not to do in a relationship again. Suffice to say, I grew up a lot since I was 22-23.

--------------------

mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 12:22      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Welcome back.
Sounds like you're really working hard on that hard core core coding? [Wink]

hey what's that supposed to imply? that wink at the end. I code......
and stuff...
lol.
seriously. I do code. I'm actually at the office at about 1:49 am here fixing some bugs the j2me integration guys found in the webservice. Partially because the empty apartment just doesnt feel like something I want to be in. Plus I have the high speed leased line here and I can listen to di.fm and get some more stuff done.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 15:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mephisto...he just went ahead and said what I was also thinking. [Razz]

I'm guessing though, by the tone of your messages above, that you're in a different *ahem* industry now. Some of recall you working in a...shall we say 'profitable' part of the IT sector. [Smile]

Anyway, welcome back.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2006 00:25      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
mephisto...he just went ahead and said what I was also thinking. [Razz]

I'm guessing though, by the tone of your messages above, that you're in a different *ahem* industry now. Some of recall you working in a...shall we say 'profitable' part of the IT sector. [Smile]

Anyway, welcome back.

It wasn't that "profitable" plus working for myself and running my own company is a lot more profitable than working for someone else. Unless you count the people I umm.... met when I was working there.
I'm happier away from that crowd tho.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture