homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » hurrah for the dork side

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hurrah for the dork side
iniaes
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 04:53      Profile for iniaes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all! I'm a fledgling geek chick, looking to make some friends who will actually understand what I'm on about when I rave about DnD and other such stuff. Despite going to what's affectionately known as the geekiest university in Melbourne, it's surprisingly hard to find like-minded people. Sigh.

Uh. About me! I tend to use an overabundance of smilies, find inexplicable things funny, and my dream guy would be a geek since I often look at them from afar and squee over how adorable most of them are.

I come from a private Catholic all-girls schooling background and recently spent an entire night looking up (and laughing at) all the hysteria surrounding DnD and Satanism. That said, when I was learning to play Magic and someone showed me the proper shuffle where you form an inverted pentagram, I did have a moment of "sjdaghewgjagDJKSGEJAWeghjwae!!".

Geekiest activities include playing DnD (started playing less than a month and a half ago), learning to play Magic (on... Sunday, I think) and spending about 24 hours every day at my computer, being anti-social. My computer and my mobile phone own my soul.

Funniest geek moment involves taking candid snaps of one of my DnD group playing Magic, wearing a bandanna, with a giant plush Bomberman on his head, and then showing the photo to all my non-geek friends and telling them that this is how we play DnD: playing out every single battle, using plushies as NPCs and my friend played a pirate (the bandanna) who was cheating at gambling (the Magic cards) and was found out and attacked by an angry gnome (the giant orange plush Bomberman).

And everyone believed me.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and really getting my geek on. ;D

Posts: 1 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 06:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. Last I checked, I think TFD had the cosmic bong.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 07:58      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

If you take the last of the coffee don't forget to make more.

My geeky weakness is Starwars. But it's something my children and I can do together. They like starwars too. And we have games and posters and action figuers and legos and all sorts of stuff. It's fun. Ok enought rambling MacD.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 08:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stone the flamin' crows, not another Victorian. [Wink]
I need to round up some Sand-groper geeks to even up the teams.

Salutations and welcome.

It sounds like you'll fit right in, especially with your nasty sense of humor. I don't know anything about DnD. Like Mac D, my thing is Star Wars and you can also find me Trekkin' across the galaxy in the Big E.

Your "moment" sounds decidedly Klingon.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 09:09      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, you'll fit right in here. Welcome. [Big Grin]

However, I want a plushie Bomberman!!!!! I love those games.

My thing is Star Wars also. Like that was a surprise.

As for D & D, there are several us D & D players and DMs on the boards. The D & D / Satanism stuff is a riot.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Scubbo
Mini Geek
Member # 4832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 11:12      Profile for Scubbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome iniaes! I have fond memories of Magic; unfortunately it started to get a wee bit too expensive for me! A game where the playing pieces become obsolete every two months or so; those Wizards aren't too stupid!

As for your geeky moment, I take it you've never tried LARP-ing? AS I understand it, it's DnD exactly as you described; players dress up as the character and "go through the motions" of their actions. Potential for disaster but by all accounts quite enjoyable.

Stick around, post well and post often, and the good brandy's on the top shelf.

--------------------
Information wants to be anthropomorphized.
When in doubt; Use the Source, Luke.

Posts: 64 | From: Englandland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 11:23      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi iniaes. Welcome aboard. We'll be happy to help you get your geek on. [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 14:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi iniaes

Welcome to the forums [Smile] Pull up a chair and take the weight of your feet. I'm sure the cosmic bong will be round soon [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 14:17      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scubbo:
Stick around, post well and post often, and the good brandy's on the top shelf.

That's where you hide it!

/me goes off to find a step stool...

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 14:33      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 09, 2006 18:47      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! You will definitely get your geek on here! [Wink]

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 01:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings iniaes, good to see the Melbourne takeover of GC proceeding apace. [Wink]

So, a keen roleplayer, eh?
I've been known to get involved in a bit of roleplaying involving catholic schoolgirls myself [evil]

Anyway, pull up a pew, coffee's in the corner, the good whiskey's on the top shelf behind that large pile of Dragon magazines, and there's some spare D20s about somewhere...

p.s. Maybe I'll see you at Conquest ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 03:03      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Greetings iniaes, good to see the Melbourne takeover of GC proceeding apace. [Wink]

Nothing will stop the Melbourne world domination league. muhauhahahahahahha ... ahem

Nice to hear from you Iniaes, look forward to meeting you proper via the boards and or IRC if thats also your thing. [Smile]

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 05:21      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:
Nothing will stop the Melbourne world domination league. muhauhahahahahahha ... ahem

Careful! If George Bush hears about your MWD league, he might... Oh. Never mind.

/dyslexic

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 06:58      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, some WMDs would come in very useful right now... Weapons of Melbourne's Destruction.

I call upon all free people around the world to rise up and stand together against this insidious Victorian plot to take over the forum. It's all in a effort to actually be good at something. They suck at cricket, they suck at basketball, they suck at rubgy and hockey, but most importantly they've lost that which they hold most dear. They suck at AFL too, the game they invented! They just plain suck at everything.

Now, who will stand with me to fight this rising tide of Victorian oppression? [evil] [evil] [evil]

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:18      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
Actually, some WMDs would come in very useful right now... Weapons of Melbourne's Destruction.

I call upon all free people around the world to rise up and stand together against this insidious Victorian plot to take over the forum. It's all in a effort to actually be good at something. They suck at cricket, they suck at basketball, they suck at rubgy and hockey, but most importantly they've lost that which they hold most dear. They suck at AFL too, the game they invented! They just plain suck at everything.

Now, who will stand with me to fight this rising tide of Victorian oppression? [evil] [evil] [evil]

Count me in, brother [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:45      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first step in our liberation should be to deport all of the Sydney rioters to the heart of Melbourne. [Big Grin]

--------------------

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:47      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very late I am sorry. Welcome.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 09:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The first step in our liberation should be to deport all of the Sydney rioters to the heart of Melbourne. [Big Grin]

Now there's a thought [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 10:00      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now to await the response on the morrow. [Razz]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 12:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Now there's a thought [Wink]
*sigh*
Jealousy is such a negative emotion.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 15:54      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now, who will stand with me to fight this rising tide of Victorian oppression? [evil] [evil] [evil] [/QB]

THe victorians will only be the footsoldiers, the true masterminds are not [Razz]

Bow to your soon to be Taswegian overlords. [Applause]
</evil_genius>

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 19:09      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose then, that Princess Mary is your figurehead. [Razz]

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 19:41      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose then, that Princess Mary is your figurehead. [Razz]

No, and im sick of hearing about the goddamn woman too. The Danes can keep her, the real figurehead prefers to remain anonymous ... for now [Razz]
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 20:55      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Remembers that the VB series is on in the other room...]

BOONIE FOR PM!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture