homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » The mad Aussie (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The mad Aussie
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 31, 2006 00:52      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

After hanging around on #joyoftech for many months now, I have Finally gotten around to registering.

For the benifit of those of you who have never heard of me I will attempt to describe myself briefly.

Im 23 year old linux type geek, currently living in Melbourne. I just moved here from a little city called Launceston located in the state called Tasmania. yes where that whacky spinning Loony Toon is from [Smile]

I have a Computing Degree from the University of Tasmania, and as of yet havent had any luck finding work.

My major interest in life is learning how to be a DJ atm, so look forward to hearing some mixes in the Future.

Im generally openminded and have broad interests in topics, so I look forward to adding my thoughts and knowledge to posts.

Hopefully this answers the basics about me. Feel free to ask questions about anything, I will answer most things.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 31, 2006 00:59      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say welcome "officially". I've talked to you a few times in the channel. I'm a fairly old member (joined in 2003) but have been away for awhile due to health problems and now getting back involved around here.. So anywway, welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:12      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome and congratulations on leaving Tassie, but you could have picked somewhere better than Melbourne. Say Perth. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:16      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do belive I would die very quickly of heat stroke if I went anywhere Near WA. Besides Melboure was cheap to get to, and I had someone to move in there.

I will of course visit Perth at some stage, when im all cashed up.

Im assuming you have lived in or been to both Perth and Melbourne before?

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is where we have one of those conversations that the Americans/Canadians just go "huh, what are they on about?" over like we do over theirs, isn't it [Wink] Welcome, Infinitesimal, although I think we've chatted a while back on IRC. Enjoy your stay here!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Infinitesimal guy is obviously a troll, everyone knows there are no universities in Tasmania, and the only computers are huge cog-based monsters powered by water-wheels. [Wink]

Greetings little geeklet, nice to have another geek from The Best City In The World™ around.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:31      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to clarify for those not familiar with Austrlia and its geography and climate:

Tasmania(Tassie) is fairly moderate, quite rainy and cool. It is also an Island, which is located south of Mainland Australia.

Perth, which is located in WA(Western Australia) is quite hot.

Melbourne, is very close to Tasmania (about 45 minutes by air), and is located on the south eastern part of Mainland Australia.

Heres a map
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/australasia/australia/australia.htm

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 31, 2006 02:35      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
This Infinitesimal guy is obviously a troll, everyone knows there are no universities in Tasmania, and the only computers are huge cog-based monsters powered by water-wheels. [Wink]

Well it claimed to be a university at any rate [Smile]
And those cog based monsters got me by for all those years, all you have to do is switch out the gerbils every now and again, a task usually left to the first years whom nobody notices if a few go missing ...
[devil wand]

P.S Melbourne rocks, except for the Transport Gestapo but thats another story

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, you'll quickly learn that TFD has a wicked sense of humor. I'm sure he wasn't being serious, just taking the p*** out of you! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Ehh, you'll quickly learn that TFD has a wicked sense of humor. I'm sure he wasn't being serious, just taking the p*** out of you! [Razz]

I think, Rhonwyyn, that you'll find that Infinitesimal realised that and was responding in kind [Razz] This Australian humour thing is trickier than it looks [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 02:57      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Yeah, I know, I was also taking the p***.
We Aussies have no fear of mocking ourselves.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:

Aussie?
I thought you said you were a Taswegian !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:11      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Aussie?
I thought you said you were a Taswegian !

LOL, Behave, Tassie Is part of Australia even though some would like to deny it. [Wink]

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:14      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hot in WA! Have you been on the Cosmic Bong too long? It's been hotter in Tassie than it has been over here. We haven't even hit summer yet. I had to take a jacket to the cricket on Sunday. What kind of cruel practical joke is that?

As for ever living in Melbourne, um NO! [evil]
It's just lots of fun paying out on Victorians.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:18      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
It's hot in WA! Have you been on the Cosmic Bong too long? It's been hotter in Tassie than it has been over here.

Damn, next the devil will skate to work!

As for ever living in Melbourne, um NO! [evil]
It's just lots of fun paying out on Victorians.

Yes Victorians are amusing sometimes.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 03:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I know, I was also taking the p***.

I knew your reply was in jest, but it appeared a serious answer to TFD's less-than-serious post!

Ehh, I should probably go to sleep. D**n double shift that has my sleeping schedule all screwed up! [Mad]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 06:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Bout time Infinitesimal. Been waiting for you to make the trasition from IRC to the boards.

Grab a beer, and there should be a free chair in the corner there.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 06:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see? This is how a newbie should introduce themselves.

Welcome, sir.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 06:58      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Welcome, sir.

Quite right, Newf. But then what happened with this newb? Why haven't we given him a proper welcome, thus encouraging him and, at the same time, others to follow suit?

Anyway, enough of my threadjacking.

Howdy Infintesimal.  -
Welcome to GC Forums. I have seen you logged into the channel during my infrequent hit and run visits there. I hope you'll visit here and post often. [Smile]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 07:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Welcome, sir.

Quite right, Newf. But then what happened with this newb? Why haven't we given him a proper welcome, thus encouraging him and, at the same time, others to follow suit?

Anyway, enough of my threadjacking.

Howdy Infintesimal.  -
Welcome to GC Forums. I have seen you logged into the channel during my infrequent hit and run visits there. I hope you'll visit here and post often. [Smile]

You're absolutely right. I have fixed my mistake. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 07:34      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 08:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'bought time you started posting here! Welcome! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 31, 2006 09:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! welcome to the Forums Infinitesimal! [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 10:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I only occasionally show up on IRC, I don't think we've met. Welcome to the forums.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 12:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Inf [Big Grin]

We have spoken once or twice in IRC - good to see you here [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture