homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » It's the fault of Slashdot (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: It's the fault of Slashdot
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 13:17      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep finding myself strangely drawn here, following links from Slashdot. (A friend told me about Slashdot and I've been an avid reader for a few months now).

I think I'm more of a geek groupie than an outright geek myself. I use a Mac, and proudly, but cannot participate in all levels of Macüberness because I'm only on OS 10.2. I'm flirting with the idea of Linux, but have to get my master's thesis completed and turned in before I start mucking around in my computer.

Love to hear people talk tech, as long as they don't mind my endless barrage of questions. I have a very large curiosity that aches to be satisfied. Very much enjoy the philosophical/conjecture aspects of science, but my secret shame is that I am not at all mathy.

Recent turnons: Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, in a real "Rush" phase right now brought about by the gifting of an mp3 player at the holidays. A friend got me into Sudoku, which is about as much number stuff as I can handle.

I like LEGOs and peanut butter Cap'n Crunch. I let the Christmas tree be decorated with red and white Pokémon balls one year. I listen to Weird Al and have even seen him in concert. If PeeWee's Playhouse ever makes it to TVLand, I'm DVRing it.

Looking forward to being here!!

--------------------
Roses are #ff0000, violets are #0000ff; all my base are belong to you.

Posts: 34 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 13:29      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Have fun and stay active here!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 14, 2006 13:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Mander! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 14:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums Mander. [Smile]

Stick around and enjoy, and don't feel bad about "only" having OS X 10.2 - some of us really like our little Jaguars [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 14:34      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you nerdwithnofriends, Snaggy, and Grummash.

Grummash, yes, Jaguar is reliable, but I can't do cool stuff like Google earth and dl'ing X11 so's I can run The GIMP, not to mention all kind of music things I get locked out of (thank you, iTunes! [said in the tone of "Oh, thank you, LA-tin!" quoted by one Crow T. Robot])

But I'm quite pleased with everything else it can do. I'm quite fond of my fruitMac! It's purplicious.

Hey, any other MST3K fans here? </me scans crowd>

--------------------

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 16:08      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mander:
Thank you nerdwithnofriends, Snaggy, and Grummash.

Grummash, yes, Jaguar is reliable, but I can't do cool stuff like Google earth and dl'ing X11 so's I can run The GIMP, not to mention all kind of music things I get locked out of (thank you, iTunes! [said in the tone of "Oh, thank you, LA-tin!" quoted by one Crow T. Robot])

But I'm quite pleased with everything else it can do. I'm quite fond of my fruitMac! It's purplicious.

Hey, any other MST3K fans here? </me scans crowd>

There should be an X11 installer package on the last install disk. I remember I had X11 on my Jaguar installation so I could try and port some linux apps.

And if that fails, try looking in to the Fink project on sourceforge.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 17:19      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]There should be an X11 installer package on the last install disk. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, the installer disk! <eyes brightening> Yeah, uh, I know where that is. Sure.

Does it matter that my CD drive is old and cranky? </me bangs head on desk>

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 17:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nwnf: I'm pretty sure X11 was only bundled w/10.3 & 10.4. I /think/ the installer works on Jag, though - just Google 'Apple X11,' and check it out (and see if it'll run). Otherwise, get the open source version. I'm running Tiger, though, so um....sorry. :-/ [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 01:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple did supply an official X11 for a while which could be downloaded. Then it was on the CD's for later releases. You may still be able to download it for free from apple.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 06:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums

Out of curiousity, what are you a perfesser of?

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 07:42      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may still be able to download it for free from apple. [/QUOTE]

From the my research into this issue:

Q: Where can I download X11 for Mac OS X?
A: X11 is included on the standard distribution of Mac OS X 10.3 client. User must do a custom install and select X11 package.

and

Q: Is the X11 beta for Jaguar still available?
A: Now that we have released X11 1.0 for Panther, we have ended our highly-successful beta process

Jeez, now I hafta pay for it!! :mad face:

Steen, I am a perfesser of Spanish at our local college-within-the-university-system. Before you become all impressed with that, please realize my correct title is "Adjunct Lecturer", which means that I teach fewer than four classes per semester, and I get paid in peanuts, though the college can (and does!) charge the students the same amount per credit hour. 46% of the faculty of my college is made up of adjuncts.

I'm really a high school teacher, waiting on finishing my thesis for the master's degree I need for the privilege of continuing to teach in this beautiful, overtaxed, overregulated, economically depressed area.

I'MSOCLOSE!

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 10:11      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, Mander.  -
Welcome to GC Forums. Nice intro, btw. Stick around, have fun and post often.

I think it's great that you are teaching in the system you describe. And don't sweat the money - it's overrated anyway. [thumbsup]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 10:38      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And don't sweat the money - it's overrated anyway.

Good! Then you won't mind if I borrow some? I need a haircut.

Where's the "hand extended, palm up" icon when ya need it?

[Thanks, gg. I can't NOT be a teacher now.... I'm addicted!]

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 12:28      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Give someone money for a haircut, and they'll look chic for a week. Tell 'em to cut it themselves and they can look like hell for a lifetime..." -Me

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 19:33      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Lifetime!

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 20:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mander wrote:
Steen, I am a perfesser of Spanish at our local college-within-the-university-system. Before you become all impressed with that, please realize my correct title is "Adjunct Lecturer", which means that I teach fewer than four classes per semester, and I get paid in peanuts, though the college can (and does!) charge the students the same amount per credit hour. 46% of the faculty of my college is made up of adjuncts.

I'm really a high school teacher, waiting on finishing my thesis for the master's degree I need for the privilege of continuing to teach in this beautiful, overtaxed, overregulated, economically depressed area.

Atually, that sounds far more impressive than someone who works as a professor at a college level and dumps off most of the workload on others. Intelligence and capability are always more impressive when used to accomplish things rather than just sitting around talking while having others do them.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 20:52      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
when used to accomplish things rather than just sitting around talking while having others do them
/me nods knowingly

That exact situation exists within my overall department, on both the Spanish and French sides. It burns me to see an incredibly talented and dedicated gentleman I know who teaches all three of his classes well and enjoys his students, while his 'superior' has trouble dealing with two classes with eight students TOTAL enrollment and doesn't even like her students.

But she has the credentials and is therefore more 'valuable' to the college than he is (with his 37 years of experience versus her, um, eight).

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2006 22:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mander: welcome to the Geek Culture forums! As a free gift: here is X11 v. 1.0 from Apple's web site.

All I had to do was search "download X11" on Apple's site and click the first link that came up...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 04:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greeting Mander, I'm a professional Sudoku solver m'self, Battlestar Galactica fan, and occasional student of Spanish.

( I also quite like nerdy horny chicks [evil] )

So, pull up a pew, coffees on the stove, cake's in the fridge, and the good scotch is on the high shelf behind the large pile of old Byte magazines.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 05:05      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aw man, so i've been drinking vodka all this time for nuthin'?

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stormtalon
Mini Geek
Member # 1163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 06:26      Profile for Stormtalon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, Spanish classes, how well I remember them. Went thru AP Spanish in high school, back in the day. Alas, now I can barely speak a lick of it. I blame the year I spent in Eastern Europe, 'cause every time I try to speak Spanish, it comes out Bulgarian instead.

Now the real question is -- are you gonna be the kind of teacher who will drop-kick a student into the foreign country of their choice? "No, really, you should travel a bit, broaden your horizons. Off to Spain with you!" *PUNT*

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Those who are easily offended should be.
And often.

WoW: The Crazy Ones

Posts: 73 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 07:27      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Mander: welcome to the Geek Culture forums! As a free gift: here is X11 v. 1.0 from Apple's web site.

All I had to do was search "download X11" on Apple's site and click the first link that came up...

Thank you so much.

System Requirements

-Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.3.9

I'll try it.... I don't appear to have the correct system requirements, however, which is what stopped me from trying to download it in the first place. Doesn't that
stink?

Thanks, Druid....I'm so glad this is a pew and not a kneeler. Oooh, cake!!

Stormtalon, what an amazing experience you had!! And I can empathize with the whole "which second language comes out first" thing. I do recommend travel as the second best way to learn a language (the first is living there and the third is speding time with a family that uses it almost exclusively), but i'd never force any of my students out of their comfort zone. Unnecessary stress blocks acquisition.

Have you kept up your Bulgarian since returning?

--------------------

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 07:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC, Mander.

I know a couple Spanish phrases. But I cannot repeat them in polite company. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 16, 2006 10:31      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mander....you seem to be blending in well. Nice to have you join us.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 10:43      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
...I'm a professional Sudoku solver m'self...

Hey, neat -- I've gotten pretty good on the amateur circuit, any tips for going pro? [Wink]

...And welcome, Mander -- I'm a HS teacher, too.

Moe

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture