homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Your normal delurk subject here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your normal delurk subject here
frantic_neutrino
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 04:10      Profile for frantic_neutrino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings programs.

I figured I'd better delurk officially after answering a post earlier this morning.

No images shall be found in this post as I avoid cameras like the plague... unnatural things. [Smile]

What 'ya got here is your average CS/Physics geek (yes, double major and to save you the trouble, yes I know I've lost it [Smile] ).

Pastimes include coding anything that comes to mind, watching BSG/Firefly/anime, listening to lots and lots of music, gaming and maintaining the mini server-farm that sits in my apartment.

I actually found GC through Google while bored one morning (insomnia _can_ have it's uses) and have been hooked ever since.

Link to the home page is forthcoming... I really don't have a lot of desire to put up something monumental, right now it's just a Geeklog/Horde combo that I use to keep track of ideas and generally keep myself sane!

As for the nick... Neutrino has been with me for ages... honestly I don't remember why [Smile] .

And with that I depart, this post is already far too long.

--------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Robert Cringley

Posts: 11 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 06:30      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi frantic_neutrino

Welcome to the forums. It's a very friendly bunch of people here, so post often & enjoy! [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 07:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
j0, Neutrino. Happy New Years!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 6 posted January 01, 2006 09:46      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, and Happy New Year.
Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 10:39      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salutations, welcome and Happy New Year to another fellow physics geek.

What species are you; e, μ, or τ? [Geek] And what sort of physics tickles your fancy?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
frantic_neutrino
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4772

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted January 01, 2006 14:31      Profile for frantic_neutrino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind greetings [Smile] . In reply to your question Astronomer, my favorite area would have to be quantum, for some reason it comes easily to me.

Unfortunately I haven't taken much at my current school. I found that trying to finish my CS and my Physics courses at the same time doesn't work (overload!) so I'm working on finishing CS right now then it's back to Physics (aka I'm going to be in school until I'm 30 :S)

I haven't figured out how to do ALT+%s combos in this BB yet so the answer for that is forthcoming [Smile] .

Edit: I was silly and spaced the whole concept of copy/paste for the characters... see below.

--------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." -- Robert Cringley

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 19:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'nother student from Bellingham, WA, eh? Friend of Kinguy, by any chance?

Howdy and welcome. Frantically welcome, that is. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 19:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:

What species are you; e, μ, or τ?

I completely missed this reference. Care to enlighten me? [Geek]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 19:49      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I was thinking I might do a double major in CS and physics myself... has it worked out very well for you? Many job offers? Cool perks?

Oh, and welcome [Razz]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

frantic_neutrino
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 22:03      Profile for frantic_neutrino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astronomer Jedi
It just occurred to me that I was an idiot in my previous post and I could have just copied the characters from your post. Heh, my apologies!
I would have to say I'm a μ neutrino, although there are days when I oscillate between all three methinks! [Smile]

TMBWITW,PB:
The (e, μ, or τ) that Astronomer was referring to are the three species of neutrino: electron, muon and tau [Smile] .

nerdwithnofriends:
Be prepared for a large amount of work! You'll also be in school for a while as Physics and CS have few common courses, so you need to be prepared for that, both mentally and financially. I have found that the Physics/CS double major is a rare breed and will often get you noticed (and called insane on a routine basis), which would lead to getting job offers.

Many corporations look for someone who can not only write code, but solve problems as well. A completed Physics degree would show a high degree of aptitude in problem solving.

As for my jobs, I've stuck mainly on the CS side 'cause I loooove programming, haven't tried any Physics oriented jobs yet [Smile] .

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 01:14      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frantic_neutrino:
Astronomer Jedi
It just occurred to me that I was an idiot in my previous post and I could have just copied the characters from your post. Heh, my apologies!

No need to get yourself in a spin. I'm not sure anyone here follows the standard model, so you'll get more than just weak interactions. [Big Grin]

As for the characters, I just copied them from Mathematica.

I bet a CS/Physics double is hard work. My single Physics is hard enough.

(Enough with the puns, right?)

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 14:18      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 15:12      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kinguy:
And for Garlic Guy:
One G [Razz] , though at least that is how your supposed to pronounce it.

I cannot imagine what the above is referring to [shake head] .

But then, I notice that my own nick has always been one word beginning with a lower case 'g' and also having one such imbedded.

garlicguy. [Razz]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2006 21:38      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 07:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frantic_neutrino:

I actually found GC through Google while bored one morning (insomnia _can_ have it's uses) and have been hooked ever since.

Welcome. There is no apostrophe in the possessive form of its.

Enjoy your stay. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 11:08      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums. [Smile]

Nice .sig

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2006 12:10      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and you are contracts to you're.... thank you very much...

Just one of my own little apostrophe hates...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture