homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Follow-on Game: Question & Answer (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Author Topic: Follow-on Game: Question & Answer
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 08:15      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enough to fill its stomach, I'd guess - a few grams per "sitting." (I just love those silly no-answer questions.)

What kind of thing send you running away, screaming and hands flailing? (Ok, let's say that figuratively is fine too.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 14:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows Me. [Wink]
(Actually, I've made a whole lot of money off a client who ran it - broke all the time. I finally got him onto Win98SE. =P)

What's your idea of a dream vacation?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 15:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Climbing this beauty. It's technical. [Smile]

Yeah, well, a girl can dream...

Do you like flying?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2005 15:58      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Climbing this beauty. It's technical. [Smile]

Yeah, well, a girl can dream...

Do you like flying?

Love it. I'd like to get a pilot's license someday, but I doubt that'll happen. Maybe if I get the time I might go for FAA aviation mechanic certification.

Got your Xbox2 yet?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 17:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No X-Box and I'm not planning on getting one either. Microsoft causes me enough pain at work.

If you dropped a 1Gb USB stick that didn't contain critical information into a public toilet that hadn't been flushed, would you go fishing for it or leave it and buy a new one?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 19:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
No X-Box and I'm not planning on getting one either. Microsoft causes me enough pain at work.

If you dropped a 1Gb USB stick that didn't contain critical information into a public toilet that hadn't been flushed, would you go fishing for it or leave it and buy a new one?

Hell yes.

What's something you really hated eating as a child, but learned to love once you grew up? (or vice versa.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 22:10      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yams. I would spew just looking at them when I was a kid, and now I shove them in my cheek pouches for later eating.

Do you want to be famous?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 04:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, although infamous might be fun [evil]

Your best friends SO is seeing someone else in secret...do you tell?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 11:52      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
No, although infamous might be fun [evil]

Your best friends SO is seeing someone else in secret...do you tell?

I'd try to be subtle, but yeah.

First (almost blind) date what do you do>?

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 22:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answers:
Lunch and something interesting. I would usually have a range interesting somethings in mind... concert, short hiking trip, crafts show, video games at the dungeon, tacky tourist time in pigeon forge and gatlinburg and so forth. Over lunch you can decide whether you like each other enough to do anything else and, if so, what would be of mutual interest.

-or-

Scare the hell out of the poor woman when she figured out just how much of a freak I really was and realized the stories were all true.

Question:
You stumble across some insider information that could never be connected to you. It would be very easy to sell a certain company's stock short and realize a big honkin' profit once the price plummets. It's illegal, but there's no chance you'd get caught. Would you do it?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 23:12      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Answers:
Lunch and something interesting. I would usually have a range interesting somethings in mind... concert, short hiking trip, crafts show, video games at the dungeon, tacky tourist time in pigeon forge and gatlinburg and so forth. Over lunch you can decide whether you like each other enough to do anything else and, if so, what would be of mutual interest.

-or-

Scare the hell out of the poor woman when she figured out just how much of a freak I really was and realized the stories were all true.

Question:
You stumble across some insider information that could never be connected to you. It would be very easy to sell a certain company's stock short and realize a big honkin' profit once the price plummets. It's illegal, but there's no chance you'd get caught. Would you do it?

Damn skippy! How else am I gonna afford all the new consoles plus the $1000 graphics cards that will be required for future PC games?!?!?

If you found out that The Matrix was true, and you were offered the choice to get out. Would you take the red pill? and why?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 09:04      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't think so. I'd try and get some super-user priveleges inside the matrix though, so I could do neat things like delete people's toilets when they were sitting on them, etc.

What is your favorite web comic?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 09:14      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After The Joy of Tech? [Wink] Probably Real Life.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 13:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, we must define what, in general, is a pin. A pin is generally a length of stainless steel, generally sharpened on one end and topped by a generally larger bit of metal on the other which, as a matter of general hearsay, is generally about one millimeter in diameter. Generally the material is generally stainless steel. Generally stainless steel generally is made up of iron in general.

It may be worth noting here that it is not considered polite to make voodoo dolls and stick pins in them due to people using the words "general" and "generally" too often.

For the sake of simplicity, we will assume the pin is made up entirely of iron, as this is the element in most abundance and, of the three main elements that make up stainless steel, has heaviest mass per atom.

For the pin to be sharpened implies that the shaft must, of necessity, be larger than the point. Since the point must have at least one atom in it, the shaft must then have at least two. The head of the pin must also be larger than the shaft, ensuring that it contains at least three atoms.

Next, we have to determine what would constitute dancing on the head of a pin. Since the head must be larger than the shaft of the needle, to properly dance on the head of a pin implies that an angel must occupy at least three atoms worth of the head of the pin, otherwise the angel is simply dancing on one or two iron atoms and cannot be said to be properly dancing on the head of the pin.

I would imagine such a dance would involve standing astride two atoms and alternately placing a foot on the third, then returning it to it's starting point. The angel puts it's left foot in, for instance, then takes the left foot out. Then puts the left foot in again and, perhaps for variety, may even shake it all about. Perhaps a bit of a spin and then repeat with the right foot.

Or maybe it's the other way around. The question of whether angels lead with their left or right foot while dancing is beyond the scope of this answer, however, and will be left up to the reader to address.

Now, the head of a pin will be somewhere between three atoms and one millimeter wide and dome shaped. Using the formula for the area of a surface of half a sphere, we are going to assume I did the math and it rounded nicely to .015 square centimeters. Using some more extreme math wizardry and google, we continue to blatantly plagiarize numbers from some other site, claiming the work as our own and we come up with the size of an iron atom and inevitably, the number of atoms of iron in the head of a pin. No, really, it's exact. Spheres pack perfectly with no wasted surface area. Leave me alone.

Oh, the answer was 4 x 10^13. Precisely. And you're not allowed to question it when we divide that by 3 and come up with a maximum of 1.333 x 10^13 dancing spaces on the head of the pin later.

Now, we come to the all important questions of cover charges, bouncers who don't let angels in, devil worshippin' dance music that drives them away, spilled drinks and vomit on the floor that make part of the dance space unusable, long lines for the bathrooms and the price of a ping pong ball related show in thailand.

Err... wait, that was my last club experience. Moving on.

We now have a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 13,333,333,333,333 dance spaces available on the head of a pin. But, as anyone going to a club and seeing that maximum occupancy sign can attest, dance space will never equate to how many individuals will actually cram themselves into some nook or cranny on the floor when a good song comes on.

Given that angels are friendly critters and that only one foot actually need be on the ground at any given time, a single three foothold dance space can actually contain two dancers where one of the angels has a foot up in the air. The angels would then take turns putting a different foot in the air, shaking it wantonly no doubt. Perhaps even showing an ankle if they -really- like each other.

This gives us a minimum of 2 possible angels and a maximum of 26,666,666,666,666 angels. And can you even begin to comprehend how much goodness 26,666,666,666,666 angels in one place would represent. The number alone just sounds holy. Or something.

And the follow up question is: Why did I waste ten minutes doing this?

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 13:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And the follow up question is: Why did I waste ten minutes doing this?
To impress the hell of of me [Big Grin]

Have you ever seen an angel?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 20:05      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought so, but then she started cheating on me and I literally felt like killing someone.

Why?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 20:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Left Field.

What was your best subject in grade 6?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 05:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
What was your best subject in grade 6?

A girl called Brenda.

Why does champagne smell like poo?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 10:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:

Why does champagne smell like poo?

Probably so it goes well with cheese that smells like feet.

Which sport do you enjoy the most?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 10:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hockey. For both playing, and watching.

If you could kill somebody without being caught -- would you?

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 06:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it would violate my own moral code. (In the event rage clouded my moral judgement I submit that I wouldn't be worried about being caught anyway.)

What do you think is on the other side of the edge of the universe?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 08:51      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is an edge to the universe.

When did you last shower?

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 09:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning like every other day.. (except some Sundays when I get lazy and won't be leaving the house)...

What's one little nuance that some people have that drives you nuts? (only little nuances.)

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 18:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asking "If that doesn't work, what else should I try" when I've just given them the solution to the problem they came to me with and there is virtually no chance of it not working.

What is the most unusual way you've accidentally destroyed a computer?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2005 18:13      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not a computer persay
I once dropped P4 processor into the toilet. I spilled something on my pants so I ran into the bathroom to get some toilet paper to wipe it off, I still had the P4 in my hand and I threw it in the toilet with the paper.

There's a whole in my wall where I banged my head.

What is THE stupidest thing a person has told you for not doing something you asked them to?

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture