homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Greetings! ^-^

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greetings! ^-^
Fayted
Newbie Larva
Member # 4497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:23      Profile for Fayted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi! i'm a newbie (as my little avatar-thing states). i'm a girlgeek, looking for some equally-geeky friends to call my very own.
i also have a question. i'm both a geek and a cheerleader, which some people say is impossible. what are your views?

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds fine to me [Wink]
Hello Fayted and welcome. Have fun in the forums and beware of the spelling & grammar Police. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fayted:
hi! i'm a newbie (as my little avatar-thing states). i'm a girlgeek, looking for some equally-geeky friends to call my very own.
i also have a question. i'm both a geek and a cheerleader, which some people say is impossible. what are your views?

I believe it's possible, but I think some of the guys here will probably ask for pics to verify. [Wink]

Welcome to the forums.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 16:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wlcome Fayted.

I believe while you may be a minority in the geek realm, I seriously doubt you are alone.

Have fun and post often.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 19, 2005 19:45      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Fayted!! Don't worry about the whole cheerleader thing. Geeks come in all walks of life. Post often and join in our intelligent?! discussions.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 20:03      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums! [thumbsup]

"i'm both a geek and a cheerleader, which some people say is impossible. what are your views?"

My view? I think it's hot. [Big Grin] Nothing wrong with being a good looking geek, and hey, cheerleading is good excercise...right? [Wink] Is it impossible? of course not.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 01:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Fayted, pull up a pew, non-alcoholic beverages are in the fridge.

Cheerleading is one of those quaint ethnic customs from foreign lands, but from what I hear of it, a good practical understanding of Physics would be useful. Sounds geeky enough to me.

We will, of course, require photographic evidence. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
technologic
Newbie Larva
Member # 4485

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 03:31      Profile for technologic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Fayted, from one newbie to another.
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Fayted. Welcome to the GC Forums. If you would kindly post a picture or two of a certain area* of yourself it would help bring the Cap'n back more fully.

Post often, have fun.

Thanks.  -

*The Cap'n refers to these as "arse pix", if I'm not mistaken. Should you have questions, I'm certain several here will provide detailed instructions.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 15:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"BLOCK THAT HACK! BLOCK THAT HACK! BLOCK THAT HACK!"

"LEAN TO THE LEFT! LEAN TO THE RIGHT! C'MON CODERS, WRITE, WRITE, WRITE!"

"D-FEAT IS SOMETHING WE WON'T DISCUSS, C'MON GEEKS, C PLUS PLUS!"

Yes, Cheerleading and Geekdom work well together.

Now here's the ultimate test, William Shatner or Patrick Stewart?

Welcome Fayted.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 15:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Greetings Fayted, pull up a pew, non-alcoholic beverages are in the fridge.

Cheerleading is one of those quaint ethnic customs from foreign lands, but from what I hear of it, a good practical understanding of Physics would be useful. Sounds geeky enough to me.

We will, of course, require photographic evidence. [Wink]

Dude. Let me explain this to you in 3 simple words:

bounce.
bounce.
bounce.

Need I say more?

Oh, welcome.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 20:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. My wife used to be a cheerleader too. Now her most prized possesion is her Dremel. My dad bought it for her. He always wanted a son that's into tools. Instead he got a daughter-in-law that's into tools. See how things work out?

"Geek" is such a broad term. It applies to many situations. Use it and wear it out proudly. [Big Grin]

Oh... and WELCOME!!! Now do as we do and POST!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Fayted
Newbie Larva
Member # 4497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 21:41      Profile for Fayted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

CP [/QB]

William Shatner (when he was younger, that is ^-^)
Fayted
Newbie Larva
Member # 4497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 21:59      Profile for Fayted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
Welcome to the forums! [thumbsup]

"i'm both a geek and a cheerleader, which some people say is impossible. what are your views?"

My view? I think it's hot. [Big Grin] Nothing wrong with being a good looking geek, and hey, cheerleading is good excercise...right? [Wink] Is it impossible? of course not.

I quite agree with everything you've said. ^-^ and thanks.
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 22:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fayted:
quote:

CP

William Shatner (when he was younger, that is ^-^) [/QB]
w00t!!
A Shatner fan! Huzzah!

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 22:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's so special about Shatner? He always struck me as somewhat of a pansy, and Miss Congeniality confirmed it. Patrick Stewart's a much better actor.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 03:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

Personally, the one I wouldn't throw out of bed for eating crackers is Scott Bakula... Why, oh why, don't captain's uniforms involve leather pants???

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 03:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among William Shatner's many qualities there is a glorious amount of pomposity and conceit, and for me it comes across in all his performances. Patrick Stewart doesn't take himself quite so seriously.

<heresy>
Star Trek is badly written and boring. It is perhaps the worst of all Sci-Fi TV series. It's appeal and longevity is a complete mystery to me.
</heresy>

I guess I'll be thrown off the boards for saying that! [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 13:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrick Stewart is a better actor than Shatner, IMHO, but that is not the point.
Shatner is Cpt. Kirk. That's all you need to know.
Stewart can do Shakespeare, true, and original Star Trek was badly written and a bit corny, but it doesn't stop it being an all-time, standard-setting, milestone in Science Fiction telly. Indeed, in telly generally.
And Shatner sings Pulp. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 13:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it is true that as far as ability Stewart is a much better actor. I don't find him as entertaining. I mean there is just something about the pompous, campy attitude that is Shatner.

Anyway. Without the questionable acting of the first Star Trek alimni there would never have been a TNG or DS9 or any of the others that have followed.

And I think Shatner is a kick ass "singer."

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 17:17      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are equally important to star trek.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture