homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » The "coming out" process:)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "coming out" process:)
ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 21:29      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! In case the whole "single-celled newbie" thing didn't clue ya in, I'm new here:) I've always known I was different...then, one day, it finally hit me...I'm a geek! I struggled with indecision, wondering how in the world I was going to tell my parents...much to my surprise, they had known all along, and were waiting for me to feel comfortable enough in my geekiness to come to them. Being the daughter of quarterback/cheerleader parents and stuck dab in the middle of a jock brother and a sister that is a social butterfly, growing up geek wasn't easy(as I'm sure most of you know:) I'm working hard to embrace this lifestyle, my obsessions include animal behavior, pretty much any science you can think of, spartan and celtic history, languages, internet, fantasy/RPGs, anime and the most perfect, brilliant man in the world...Joss Whedon...well...ok, maybe not -perfect- perfect...but close enough;)

Oh yeah...did I mention that I'm socially inept and wear glasses?...I suppose that pretty much seals the deal:)

--------------------
ubergeekprincess...why? because if ya have to be a geek, you may as well be royalty:)

Posts: 22 | From: NM | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 21:38      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ubergeekprincess:
Hi! In case the whole "single-celled newbie" thing didn't clue ya in, I'm new here:) I've always known I was different...then, one day, it finally hit me...I'm a geek! I struggled with indecision, wondering how in the world I was going to tell my parents...much to my surprise, they had known all along, and were waiting for me to feel comfortable enough in my geekiness to come to them. Being the daughter of quarterback/cheerleader parents and stuck dab in the middle of a jock brother and a sister that is a social butterfly, growing up geek wasn't easy(as I'm sure most of you know:) I'm working hard to embrace this lifestyle, my obsessions include animal behavior, pretty much any science you can think of, spartan and celtic history, languages, internet, fantasy/RPGs, anime and the most perfect, brilliant man in the world...Joss Whedon...well...ok, maybe not -perfect- perfect...but close enough;)

Oh yeah...did I mention that I'm socially inept and wear glasses?...I suppose that pretty much seals the deal:)

Wow that sent me into a laughing fit, nice to meet you man (or woman), hope you enjoy your stay.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 21:52      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, you've come to the right place. Have fun! [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 23:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first step is always to admit your geekiness to yourself.

Then you can join up with all the other geeks and take over the world. [Big Grin] [evil] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Meanwhile, this is a good place to kick it and get your geek fix...

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 05:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Originally posted by ubergeekprincess:

Wow that sent me into a laughing fit, nice to meet you man (or woman), hope you enjoy your stay.
I'd suggest she's female based on her name -- either that or he has a lot more "coming out" to do. [Eek!]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 08:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC ubergeekprincess ,

So now we have Colonel's, Commanders, a drunken newfie banana and a princess...

I'll stop right there.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 08:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, ugp. Welcome to the GC Forums. Sit your royal self down and have some pie . [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 10:06      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! You've found yourself and you're new. Good work. I too had a jock older brother (who was also a quarterback) so everyone assumed that I too was a jock. The world was very disappointed when I could not make a single basket in a rousing game of "HORSE". But I could draw Jawas really well. That impressed no one.

So you'll fit right in, apparently. Come in and bask and most of all... POST!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

ubergeekprincess
Geek Larva
Member # 4428

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 11:03      Profile for ubergeekprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
So now we have Colonel's, Commanders, a drunken newfie banana and a princess...

well...the general idea is take over the world, right(unless I misunderstood Erbo)?...Gotta have geeks in high places for that [Wink]

--------------------
ubergeekprincess...why? because if ya have to be a geek, you may as well be royalty:)

Posts: 22 | From: NM | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 13:02      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take over the world indeed. We already control about half of it.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 20:33      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Then you can join up with all the other geeks and take over the world. [Big Grin] [evil] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

I think the exact translation is that we shall "inherit the Earth"... or was that "the meek"? [Confused] [Wink]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 09:21      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inherit, take over, just as long as we have it, I don't care how we get it, though inherit might have people liking us more than if we just take it. I am all about most people not hating me.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dhrystone
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4420

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 04:34      Profile for Dhrystone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, UGP...

If you're looking for fellow like-minded geeks, I believe you've found your utopia. [Embarrassed] )

I know full well what it's like growing up a geek in a very sociable family. Parents went out a lot, sister with a HUGE circle of friends, brothers with a lot of friends... I myself spent much of my young life in my bedroom, alone, working on my C-64 (or other PCs and periphs that littered my bedroom), listening to music, and just generally "geeking out."

Oh, and I too wear glasses.

--------------------
"Finding the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more difficult than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room, using only your teeth." -Dave Barry

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture