homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Greetings from a Newbie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greetings from a Newbie
Dhrystone
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4420

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted September 29, 2005 13:33      Profile for Dhrystone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone... Thought I'd post a bit about me.

I'm originally from Chicago, IL, now living in NE Connecticut. I work in the insurance industry for a conglomerate corporation (trying to get into the IT Department). I've been living out in CT for the past seven years. I'm 38 years old, married for the past almost six years to a wonderful woman who is not only my soulmate but also my best friend. I'm majoring in Computer Network Technology at a local community college, trying to get (at least) my Associate's Degree. Stumbled onto the Geek Culture site by accident, and am just looking for a place to chill, hang out and make some new friends.

--------------------
"Finding the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more difficult than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room, using only your teeth." -Dave Barry

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 13:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Dhrystone.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then I suspect you ahave come to the right place...

Be welcome and beware my inability to stop using elipses as the end to every comment...

See... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dhrystone - hope you enjoy your time here [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:31      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, Dhrystone. Welcome to GC Forums. I'm originally from Chicago and was just on the phone to Connecticut yesterday. Does this mean we're friends? No? Not yet?

Your interests on your profile mention cooking. Check out the link in my .sig, let me know what you think.

Have fun and post when you can.

Oh yeah. I was in the insurance industry for 20+ years. [Wink]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! First we had csk and his multiple personalities. Now we have gg and his multiples.

/me head spins

Welcome Dhrystone. We have a great sense of humor here. I hope you brought yours! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tomate
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 14:37      Profile for Tomate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Im new here but thats ok.

--------------------
Sorry for my English, i know it sux(sometimes)...

Posts: 10 | From: São Paulo (Brazil) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 15:01      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a good place to chill. Welcome to the forums, Dhrystone.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 19:48      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with an ellipses. I love ending in an ellipses...

And oh yea, what's up, I'm kinda new too.

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2005 21:55      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard, Dhrystone. Glad to have you. [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 10:14      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Indeed. Welcome. Here you will find decent people with decent, downhome good ol' values. Wholesome, respectable, upstanding, pure, dignified, old fashioned people. Yes.

For instance, we never say "booger". That would be uncouth. Nor "poop". That would also be quite uncouth. And you will never ever catch us using the word "undies" (except maybe once). I think we even have laws against that.

So, pull up a chair, crack open your euphemisms, and most of all... POST!!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 30, 2005 10:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Dhrystone! Great to have you here. [Smile]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 30, 2005 13:06      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome dhrystone!! Glad you found us. I personally haven't been here too long, but trust me, I think you will like it and make some new friends along the way.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dhrystone
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4420

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted September 30, 2005 17:28      Profile for Dhrystone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the warm greetings everyone... I really appreciate it. This definitely feels like home.

Hey, GarlicGuy, where in Chicago did you live? I'm originally from the NW Side (around Armitage/California/Milwaukee/Western Ave area). I went to Robert Clemente H.S., which is the worst h.s. in the city, if not the whole state of IL. [Applause]

--------------------
"Finding the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more difficult than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room, using only your teeth." -Dave Barry

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 17:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California and Lunt. (1950 to 1956)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 18:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Dhrystone.

CT eh?
I've got family connections there, next time you're in Uncasville be sure to squander your life saving there, and add to the fortune of some of Mrs Druids distant relatives. (They're also clients of the company I work for at the moment, very small world indeed).

(disclaimer: the above is very bad advice)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture