homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » I hope I have found a home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hope I have found a home
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 18, 2005 14:37      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have lurked in different discussion forums on the internet looking for a place that has members with "real substance." I hope I have found the place. My main overriding interest in life is to always learn more about the world in which we live. A simple goal but one I feel that most so called "geeks" probably share to some extent. Obviously, part of this is meeting new people whether in person or over this great thing called the internet.Everyone here seems to be more fitting to what I feel I've always been; a geek. However geeks can be some of the best people on the planet because of our desire to take things and talk about them in a way that is just more than superficial. I think our fellow member maia's signature says it best. Nothing is to petty to be discussed. I look forward to discussions on this message board and making new friends.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 14:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello gladiator

Welcome to the GC forums. I too spent some time lurking before declaring myself, and the decisive factor was a particularly interesting debate about the use (or not) of firearms for self-defence. No flame war, no spitefulness, just real debate of a valid issue.
There are good people here and I hope you feel as welcomed as I have felt.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 16:56      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy gladiator. Welcome to the GC Forums. Make yourself comfortable and post whenever you have something to say. Have some fun while you're at it. No need to be stodgy and all that rot. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 18, 2005 16:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gladiator!

Welcome! Glad to have you. [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 20:02      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there. Glad to have you join us. [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 01:53      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to our little enclave of geek sanity.

It's fun here and friendly (mostly).

Enjoy it!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 02:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, make yerself at home.

So .... do you like gladiator movies... ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 04:46      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome Gladiator!

So... you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 05:01      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, gladiator.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 07:43      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Keep on riding and chucking the waves of the mighty information highway in search of the meaning of it all. 'Tis a noble cause. As for here, this is a friendly place (if you've looked around at other forums, you've probably experienced plenty of very unfriendly places). I haven't figured out exactly what makes this board so great yet, but sometimes the ineffable should just remain ineffable.

Plus, interesting juxtaposition of cuddly animal and moniker "Gladiator". <YODA VOICE>I like. Yes.</ YODA VOICE>

And now, do as you have been doing... POST!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Dead Cat
Geek Larva
Member # 4282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 10:48      Profile for Dead Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gladiator,
Just got here myself, but they seem a good lot.
Welcome aboard matey (arrrgh!)
(been driving them crazy with the 'pirate day' at work).

--------------------
Deadcat, king of his own socks

Posts: 20 | From: Birmingham / Cannock, UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 19, 2005 13:03      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fellow geeks, thanks for the welcomes so far. By the way, when looking for an avatar from the available choices when registering, obviously no gladiator avatars were available. Don't know much about where to find these things (small pictures)and don't know about how to have one different that reflects what I want (a gladiator with a sword ready for battle!)I chose the dog picture because I own a gorgeous golden retreiver. I also have a question about signatures that may sound stupid and ill informed but I want to use the quote from Gladiator the movie "What we do in life echoes in eternity." Any copyright laws prevent use of movie taglines? My gut tells me this is a ridiculous worry. By the way I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) that really makes me worry over trivial things. Anybody have struggles, give me a shout, we all need support for our troubles at times!

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 15:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't tell anyone about where you got the quote, I doubt anyone here is going to turn you in. [Big Grin]

As for the avatars: Unless you ante up the $4.65 USD per month for Superfandom, you are limited to the selections in the avatar gallery. If you become a SuperFan, you could Google an avatar of your liking; design one yourself; have someone on the boards design one for you. Nitrozac and Snaggy did mine and the price was very reasonable.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 16:23      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many here use quotations from books, films, songs, etc. Mine is a line from Marillion's 4th Album "Clutching at Straws". I don't think anyone can prevent that sort of usage (although I probably really should add a byline to mine...) I've seen hundreds of similar ones online so I think your gut is right and you should fight the OCD on this one... Anyway good aphorisms are just what we all think just written better by somebody else (plagarism is the highest form of flattery and all that)

As for avatars - you can change to any in the library with N&S's approval I believe but custom ones come only with superfandom

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 17:56      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Gladiator. Most seem to read for a whiole before posting. I did. Quotes you can get from anywhere like Serenak stated, just depends on what you want to express. Enjoy the discussions!

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 19:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, gladiator, stick around and have some fun!

As for using quotes from movies or whatever as taglines, sure, why not. I mean, if IMDB can have "memorable quotes" for every single movie it lists, I don't see the harm in a choice quote being in someone's sig. Personally, I rotate my .sig quotes through song lyrics that I find relevant at the time.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 13:52      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Any copyright laws prevent use of movie taglines?
gladiator - I am with the rest of the crowd on this one - there may some rules somewhere, but I don't think we need worry about them. My .sig is from "The War of the Worlds" by HG Wells ( or more accurately, it is from Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds... there was some paraphrasing [ohwell] ) Although I think we need to be clear, it is not taken from the Tom Cruise movie [shake head] There is nothing wrong with a good quote now and again!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 10:04      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums, am new here too, and yes you can use a movie quote/image/tagline unless its for a public performance or for profit.

Or your in Brazil, then youre allowed to pirate anything [Razz]

*whistles as he watches Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children for the 4th time*

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture