homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Uber-Geek: The man, the myth, the legend (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Uber-Geek: The man, the myth, the legend
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 28, 2005 08:30      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all, just a short introduction.

I am Uber-Geek, real name is Tony. (Waves)

I got the nickname from my Fiance because she has never known anyone who was as good at technology as I am. It's flattering.

Anyways. My website is here, www.uber-geek.us, I'm into gaming, Amateur Radio, and technology in general. I also dabble in geocaching, and living history reenactment, so I'm a well-rounded geek. [Smile]

I work in the computer field, but I also do CG animation in 3D Studio Max, as well as making short movies with various Adobe products. I'm currently working on Uber-Geek: The series. A story about an average network tech who becomes an internet cyber-superhero.

So I guess this wasn't a short introduction. Oh well. I'm chatty today.

Hello everyone, hope to talk to most or all of you soon!

--------------------
"Fear me, for I am root!"
Personal Site
Consulting Business

Posts: 8 | From: West Mifflin, Pa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 08:53      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. How does 3DS Max compare to Maya?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 08:56      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiya! welcome to the boards, I always wanted to learn 3DSM and such but never had the time. I do make movies though, usually involving protein molecules with PyMOL and MPlayer (while it lasts). So anyway, stick around, mind the pun-storms, and hijack some threads in grand GC tradition [Smile]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 09:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, under_feet!
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 09:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velcommen!

Geocaching is uber cool [thumbsup]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 10:25      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Uber-geek, glad to have you here. [Smile]

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 10:37      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Cool. How does 3DS Max compare to Maya?

Haven't had a lot of time on Maya, but I would say they are close. My Diehard 3DSM buddies would kill me if they heard that though [Smile]

It does the job, and it was cheap, so I'm happy with it [Smile]

--------------------
Personal Site
Consulting Business

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted April 28, 2005 16:03      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 16:16      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome You-da-Geek! [Razz]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 19:17      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you call yourself an Übergeek if you can't even spell Über-geek?
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 19:32      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
How can you call yourself an Übergeek if you can't even spell Über-geek?

Glad you asked. You see, I'm from America, and in America, we don't use the Ü as the U, so I didn't use it when I adopted my handle. Secondly, www.ubergeek.com has been taken by some non-geek that doesn't even use it. When finding a website address, www.uber-geek.us was the only thing left, thus the hyphen. So Uber-Geek was born.

$0, \/\/[email protected]+ j00'r3 [email protected] i$ iN 0rd3r +0 [email protected] @ [email protected] 0N +h3 iN+3rN3+, i+ [email protected] +0 b3 $P3113d ri+3?

--------------------
Personal Site
Consulting Business

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 20:06      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being from the States myself, I can attest to the umlaut gap here. Peanuts even tried to introduce it to the mainstream (Woodstock once tried saying "CHÜRP!" and Snoopy responded "FORGET THE UMLAUT!!"). Despite such valiant attempts at bilinguifying the American population, the umlaut remains obscure here. Oh well.

I haven't even heard the term "schwa" (ə) since the second grade!

Since we share the same linguistic wasteland, I heartily welcome you to the boards.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 21:01      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you don't want to use the umlaut, you can at least spell it "Ueber-Geek"

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 21:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Even if you don't want to use the umlaut, you can at least spell it "Ueber-Geek"

What? You mean like "aesthetic" and "orthopaedic"? But then we'd look British instead of American! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 21:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's wrong with British English, hmm? [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 01:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing csk

but über is German and I for one have never seen it spelt ueber (ugh!)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 04:31      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, it's not going to change anytime soon. Besides, what kind of word is childe? I've never heard of it.

--------------------
Personal Site
Consulting Business

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 05:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC, Uber-Geek.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 06:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but über is German and I for one have never seen it spelt ueber (ugh!)

How about Schroeder? (Schröder) Or Staedtler? (Städtler) Or Koenig (König == king) When you're unable to type German characters, umlauts are replaced by an e (as above) and sharp s (ß) with a double s (or in my case, a capital B). Thus, yes, it's "ueber".

If you want to be anal, anyhow. To which I recommend this cartoon - http://www.spamusement.com/view.php?id=223 ... :)

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 06:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jeeze, what a bunch of language þεðåñτs ! [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 06:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Uber-geek.  - to the GC forums.

I can't imagine why another n00b saw the need to challenge your handle on your very polite introductory thread. But it has lead to a good discussion of the umlaut. Most threadjacks around here are pretty interesting.

So stick around, grab a chair and some coffee and enjoy your time here. Maybe BW could be persauded to pass you the Cosmic Bong, assuming she is still its keeper.

Oh yeah. I also get a kick from GeoCaching. We live in the mountains with several wilderness areas nearby. Makes for some interesting caching spots.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 08:01      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, let me just say this: I AM NOT GERMAN! I AM NOT TRYING TO USE A GERMAN HANDLE, ASIDE FROM UBER BEING A GERMAN WORD, NOTHING ELSE ABOUT IT IS GERMAN. PERIOD!

Definition:

(1) german word for "above" or "over" (correct spelling "über")
(2) Became popular in the american language through its occurence in a phrase of the old nazi-time german anthem, re-used by punk bands ("california über alles")
(3) Is now used as a substitute for "really" or "very" etc.
(1) Ich sehe die Sterne über mir (I see the stars above me)
(2) "...Deutschland über Alles..." (Germany above All Things)
(3) This website is über-informative

I'm using it as it is stated in number 3.

I'm also not the first to use it this way. How abour ubergeek.tv, or ubergeek.com. They don't spell thier website as uerjhekbergeek.com now do they?

God, If I thought I was going to be subjected to the grammar nazi's, I wouldn't have joined. Geez, I guess you can't have any individuality anymore.

Drop it and move on.

For those of you who don't have a problem with my handle, thanks for the warm welcomes. It's appreciated.

--------------------
Personal Site
Consulting Business

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oob-her giek: Ease up and get thicker skin m'kay. If you can't handle a little ribbing about spelling just wait 'til we rage on topics like politics and religion.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uber-Geek
Newbie Larva
Member # 3844

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 09:38      Profile for Uber-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to worry, I may seem ticked, but it's all good. I work in a helpdesk enviroment, so I'm very desensitized! [Smile]

--------------------
Personal Site
Consulting Business

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 10:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uber-Geek:
Not to worry, I may seem ticked, but it's all good. I work in a helpdesk enviroment.....

Now I feel sorry for you [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture