homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi
Gem
Newbie Larva
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted March 15, 2005 02:10      Profile for Gem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I signed up yesterday and thought i'd introduce myself to you all.
My name's Gemma. I'm 25, and I live in beautiful North Wales, in the UK.
I am (among other things) a: bookworm, movie fan, sci-fi and fantasy enthusiast, musician and official nice person (I have a certificate to prove it!).
This place looks fun. I think i'm going to like it here [Smile]

Posts: 6 | From: Wales, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 02:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bore da, Gem. We don't get many Welsh persons 'round these parts. Grab one of the comfy chairs - the coffee and biscuits will be here in a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 02:35      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gem:

Well, we have you fooled, then. That's good to know [Wink]

Welcome to the forums, stick around and have some fun!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 15, 2005 03:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent,

Hello and welcome...

You will enjoy it here I'm sure...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 05:14      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whisper* Just stay away from the dude with the garlic.

[Big Grin]

Welcome!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 05:49      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC, Gem.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 06:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah...Wales...the home of two poets...Tom Jones and Dylan Thomas. Welcome! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 06:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Gemma, and welcome to the GC Forums. May you enjoy your stay here and may it be a long one.

As for the below, I have no idea what is behind it, and will be looking for an explanation, eh SilverBlade?
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:
*whisper* Just stay away from the dude with the garlic.

Meanwhile, Black Widow will undoubtedly be offering you the cosmic bong shortly. She seems better able to keep track of the darned thing better than the rest of us.

/uses parental voice:"SliverBlade... you get to school now - don't be late young lady." [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 07:40      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah Hello!

-

Being from Wales I would suggest you keep far, far away from Spungo [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
moped-rider
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 11:32      Profile for moped-rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Gemma and welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
I wouldnt give him the cheese of me qu** two stroke Eddie. http://www.macclads.co.uk/index.html

Posts: 45 | From: warwickshire england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 11:55      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

[Cool] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2005 12:06      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gem:
I signed up yesterday and thought i'd introduce myself to you all.
My name's Gemma. I'm 25, and I live in beautiful North Wales, in the UK.
I am (among other things) a: bookworm, movie fan, sci-fi and fantasy enthusiast, musician and official nice person (I have a certificate to prove it!).

Welcome!!! Tell us more about yourself!! What do you do for a living? What are your goals in life? Are you a rugby fan? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 12:21      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sut mae Gem!

Although I wasn't born there, I lived in and around North Wales for a long time, long enough to be considered "Welsh by adoption"!

I've been in London for over 2 years now, but still miss scenery like this...

Hope you have a nice time here.

tata tan toc

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 14:28      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do Gem and welcome!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted March 15, 2005 15:38      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 16, 2005 11:03      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME! And, I have a serious question for you!

What is Wales like? All I really know about it is that there are coal mines there, and many people in this part of the US originally came from Wales. Fill me in!!!!!

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gem
Newbie Larva
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 03:13      Profile for Gem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcomes everyone [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
Welcome!!! Tell us more about yourself!! What do you do for a living? What are your goals in life? Are you a rugby fan? [Big Grin]

More about myself...
Well, i'm a librarian. Or i'm supposed to be, but no-one will give me a library job because I don't speak Welsh [Frown] So at the moment I'm doing rubbishy and poorly paid temping admin work.
I'm not actually Welsh (my grandparents were, which apparently makes me Welsh enough to play rugby for Wales. But i'm English). I moved here to live with my Welsh boyfriend.
Hmmm. Goals in life. I'm sure I have lots of those. But at the moment all I can think of is that I want to get a better job! [Smile]
I'm not really a rugby fan. Although I suspect I will be watching the hugely important Wales v Ireland game that is on tomorrow.

Gem
Newbie Larva
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 03:22      Profile for Gem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
WELCOME! And, I have a serious question for you!
What is Wales like? All I really know about it is that there are coal mines there, and many people in this part of the US originally came from Wales. Fill me in!!!!!

Wow. That's a big question. How do I succinctly describe a whole country?
Well, there aren't any coal mines in North Wales (where I live), as far as I know. I think they're a South Walian thing, but someone correct me if you know i'm wrong...
North Wales has the gorgeous Snowdonia mountain range, and some day I fully intend to stand on the summit. Don't think i'll be climbing it though, I'm far too lazy. I'll be taking the mountain railway.
I've found that Welsh people are incredibly proud of their country. My boyfriend has a t-shirt which reads: "I'm more than perfect, I'm Welsh!" [Smile]
I'm sure you know that Wales has its own language, which, contrary to popular belief, is not dieing out. It is still widely spoken. South Wales is more anglicised than the north. Not as many Welsh speakers down there. The bit of the country i'm in (the top left corner as you look at Wales on a map) has the highest percentage of Welsh speakers in the country.

There are lots of people with Welsh ancestry in Ohio? Cool.
I've heard that there is an island (I think it's an island?) somewhere over there where the people speak Welsh. Many people I know say they'd like to visit it.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope it answered your question a little. And I hope it didn't just bore everyone to tears... [ohwell]

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 05:40      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>> Well, there aren't any coal mines in North Wales (where I live), as far as I know. I think they're a South Walian thing, but someone correct me if you know i'm wrong...

- I don't think you're wrong although I think there used to be coal mining around Wrecsam...

>>> North Wales has the gorgeous Snowdonia mountain range, and some day I fully intend to stand on the summit.

- even though the top of Snowdon is now concreted over... :-(

>>> I've heard that there is an island (I think it's an island?) somewhere over there where the people speak Welsh.

- I think Patagonia had a huge influx of Welsh people once upon a long time ago...

- Pretty pictures of Snowdonia here:
http://www.snowdonia.org.uk/photogr/menu.htm

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 08:52      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My impressions of Wales and its people are largely favorable, but based on only a couple of somewhat eclectic sources:
1)The Cadfael Mystery series by Ellis Peters (a wonderful read for historical fiction fans), 2)an old National Geographic article about how former mining cooperatives were working to replace lost jobs and progressively improve economic outlook, 3) the movie Braveheart, and 4) an elderly Welsh friend (who claimed a direct line of decendency from Will Wallace).

All have given the impression that the Welsh are mostly a quaint, resourceful and industrious people.

Edit: I know that Braveheart was not *about* Wales necessarily, but there are several notable items of similarity in their struggles against oppression.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 12:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been to south Wales, and my memories are of very beautiful countryside, and getting lost a lot.

When you get to an intersection and the signs point to "gwllyllgthlfddy", "gwllgyllwthlfddygyr", gwyllywgthlfddyll", and "gwyllgthllglfddywr" (or at least that's how they look to my non-welsh-educated eyes) it's easy to make a wrong turn. [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 16:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coal mining was a South Wales Valleys phenomenon, but I think it is a dead industry now... I was certainly dying on its feet last time I was there (20ish years gone by now)

Stayed in a little Brecon Beacon village called "Hirwaun" (pronounced Hir-ra-wine if I was told correctly...)

Seemed like a nice enough place when I was there but it recently featured on UK TV in a "UK's Roughest Villages" programme - maybe it was rough then and I didn't notice, or maybe it has gone downhill with the fading of the Welsh Valley economy/culture...

Or maybe it is just TV BS...

It isn't exactly a pretty place, most of it could've been mistaken for any dubious (UK) "sink" estate - Post WWII Council (Govt.) erected "prefab" housing for a largely "working class" population once all employed in a now vanished coal mining industry...

But that is BTW, I stayed there in the Mid 80s, camping on a hillside just outside the village for a few weeks. It was no beauty spot but the Brecon Beacons were its eternal backdrop and the locals treated me very well at a time when I was down on my luck... Times were hard for many at that time but I found nothing but acceptance and friendliness and generosity - mostly from those that had very little to spare themselves.

One thing I like to remember to remember (if you get my drift) from that time is the guy who not only offered my travelling companion and myself the chance of a hot bath and a night on his living room floor in a centrally heated flat because the weather forecast was dire; but also INSISTED on taking us to his "local" and buying us a beer each even though we had basically no money and we knew he was living (like many others at the time) on the "Dole" - (Govt. Welfare for non UKers) - i.e. had no more than subsistence level income himself.

I only ever knew him as "Basher" for the couple of days we shared together but I don't think I'll ever meet better examples of "Do as you would be done by" than him and the Hirwaun Café owner "Jeff" who knowing we had no visible means of support, were camping on the hillside just north of the village and were trapped because the weather had closed in, kept us in tea, toast (and the occasional bacon butty or egg & beans) and cigarette papers just because he could...

I've driven through there about twice in the 15-20 years since, first time I even went into the café - but no-one even had heard of "Jeff", second time I was more interested in finding my old campsite; which wasn't too hard, dry stone wall boundaries don't shift that easily...

Pseudo Edit: Sorry - my reminiscing is hi-jacking your valid thread.. Apologies..

[Confused]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gem
Newbie Larva
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 02:41      Profile for Gem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Pseudo Edit: Sorry - my reminiscing is hi-jacking your valid thread.. Apologies..

Nothing wrong with a bit of thread hijacking. That was a very interesting tangent it went off on [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture