homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Any americans find this? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Any americans find this?
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 14:04      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to go through a metal detector to enter the post office museum last week [My watch, spare change, and belt buckle did not set it off, but they always do at airports and did in a Senate Office Building that afternoon]. They "randomly" selected an Indian friend of mine for a pat down. There were guards walking arround the museum with guns.

right...

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 18:30      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know how you can kill/disable people very easily with little or no weapon (keys, coins, unbent paperclip, bare hands).

As for sabotage, well these days a paper clip or tiny bit of wire would do... How hard is it to fry a MoBo with static/shorting a few connections???

Any of you ever blown a PCB while trying to fix it? Not to hard to do by accident, so supposing you know what you want to b0rk even a sharp pencil and a coin would serve I reckon...

PS Used to get stopped all the time as a "20 something long haired troublemaker" Now I am a "longhairied 40 something family man with small child" I'm apparently harmless, or at least less worthy of a heavy security check...

Moral - if suicide bombers take their small childern with them they'll be considered harmless...???? I damn well hope not. But that is the feeling I get...

Why can't these people see the real risks and stop worrying if my packet of Minty Toffees might be drug twists? Like... Deerrrrr!!!

[Confused]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luxxie
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3549

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 14:18      Profile for Luxxie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the United States, but my family lives in Canada, so I'm a veteran at crossing borders. I ALWAYS get stopped and checked, even above and beyond normal security. It's ridiculous! I just want to scream "Yes, I, with my pink hoodie and braids, am a threat to the nation. I've got a bomb hidden right under my Rubiks Cube." In some ways the security is good, but mostly it just makes me homocidal to be in an airport.

--------------------
I beat the internet;
the end guy was hard!

Posts: 10 | From: Neverland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 14:32      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just go to FBO and get on my plane and go. no security except my pilot and co-pilot.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruz
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3689

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 10:43      Profile for cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I find this thread pretty interesting. I like the "death by underwire bra" posting [thumbsup]
Orion, where did you visit in the states? The security in the smaller airports isn't too bad. It's really a matter of leaving the house earlier to catch your flight. Although, I work from home as a prevage consultant, so I guess I don't have to worry about commuting from country to country for work or anything. I don't get out much, sadly.

Destiny Eternity
Newbie Larva
Member # 3690

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2005 11:39      Profile for Destiny Eternity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
security is beefed up, but there are still many idiots employed serving as security personnel.

All I know is that I fly enough that if someone wants to hijack a plane that badly, they can McGuyver anything they want to make it into a weapon and I will be the first to stand up and pound their ass into a pile of raw meat.

[evil]

Posts: 6 | From: Straight outta Section 1 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture