homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Geeky Literature (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Geeky Literature
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 04:16      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you littlefish! My point exactly!
Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 04:47      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Quoting someone elses work, and building on ideas others have postulated is how knowledge progresses.

In the example i gave it was specifically intended to show that i DID NOT QUOTE OR CITE AJP TAYLOR's ARGUMENT.

If Dan Brown had properly cited the Holy Blood Holy Grail then it would be fine. He didn't.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 09:02      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I will think you will find he did cite holy blood holy grail!
Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 22:51      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Dan Brown has taken over everything else, so why not this thread too?! [Big Grin]

I admit I have no interest in reading the "DaVinci Code". Too much else in the pile. Too much good unhyped stuff out there begging for readers.

I do keep hearing about Italian tour guides who find themselves having to keep up with the latest DaVinci code fads. Readers tour sites mentioned in the book and find out that what they've read is actually fiction, not fact (that's why it's in the "Fiction" section, after all). Supposedly there have been lots of problems with disgruntled "DaVinci" code tourists in the last year or so. It must be a good book. Though I've also heard that all of Dan Brown's books follow the same basic plot, but, I haven't read them so I can't say from experience, only vicariously through others who have read them.

Can someone help me out with this Graemlin?
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 23:34      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Can someone help me out with this Graemlin?
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Um, that is the bythebeardofpetergabriel graemlin. A few years ago, Pete came up for air with a shaved head and long white goatee. Back then, GCers wore an onion on their belt, because that was the fashion at the time. Sadly the bythebeardofpetergabriel graemlin has gone the way of the dodo bird, rubiks cube and unprotected sex.

One day, our benevolant leaders will allow us to think outside the box* and allow us more than a handful graemlins  -

*That catch phrase went out of style around the same time [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 19, 2005 01:34      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift. For those who haven't read it: don't be fooled by the title. From this essay spawned the "he eats babies" joke.

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 07:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

One day, our benevolant leaders will allow us to think outside the box* and allow us more than a handful graemlins  -

*That catch phrase went out of style around the same time [ohwell]

Would you mind telling that to my boss then, please?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 8 posted March 25, 2005 04:42      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
****THIS POST TO COVER UP BLATANT RUDENESS ON THE MAIN PAGE****
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture