homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Doing this backwards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doing this backwards
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 10 posted February 11, 2005 19:27      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now that I've spent a couple of weeks lurking and posting and having read AY2K from the begining maybe I should introduce myself. I am Brian. 40 yo swm. Living in the Detroit area. I work in printing doing design/prepress/mac support/processor scrubing yada yada. Spend my spare time messing around with photography (B&W and digi), model railroading (HO scale p:87 flavor), computers (ibook g3, mini) and trying to outsmart my 3 cats (hasn't happened yet). Looks like you're all having fun and I promise to play nice and not make a mess. The nick? After a few beers I get ideas that seem glorious and vast in scope. Upon waking the next day I discover they were only half vast...
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 19:33      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, you and garlic guy have something in common with me...

I like doing it backwards too. I still haven't officially done a "hi" thread, but I guess my 1st year of being here thread counts.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 19:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome mr halfwit. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 20:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe... add me to the "sans intro" club! [Wink] I jumped in with both feet, way back when.

I still remember Spungo's greeting: "Persecute the unbeliever!" in relation to my stellar grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 21:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy HalfVast. Welcome to the GC forums, even though it seems you've been checkin' them out much longer than I. Hope you'll stick around and enjoy yourself. I like your style.

I think BW just fessed up to knowin' the whereabouts of the cosmic bong the other day, so it'll be along soon... [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 00:07      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. I don't recall having ever done an 'intro' thread... I believe my first post, after two months of lurking, was about some spiffy monkey socks [Razz]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 02:17      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I still remember Spungo's greeting: "Persecute the unbeliever!" in relation to my stellar grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills. [Razz]

Didn't bloody work, did it!? [Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 07:40      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome HalfVast! Make yourself comfortable, have some coffee, and here's the cosmic bong (I got it back last night, GG!).
 -

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 09:21      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
Hmm, you and garlic guy have something in common with me...

I like doing it backwards too. I still haven't officially done a "hi" thread, but I guess my 1st year of being here thread counts.

I've never done an offical introduction post either.

But anyway welcome to the forums stick around have a drink. And since your up getting a drink can you grab me a beer

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 12, 2005 10:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey HalfVast!

Welcome, and thanks for being here! [Smile]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Footsie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2005 16:07      Profile for Footsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Megage for Spungo you rock ....... have you "herd" of the Macc Lads? Can i send you an mp3?

Think you might like it (nsfw - hilarious crudity!!!)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Here today... Gone tomorrow?

Posts: 33 | From: smelly foot farm | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2005 17:49      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome all, and the coffee. Mac D here's your beer. No I didn't shake it up [Wink] Snaggy, I'd like to say thanks to you and Nitrozac for making the place availible to us all.
<dofs hat, bows to lord and lady of the manor>
I'm just going to chill here tonight and not think of the drive to work in the morning (freezing rain predicted here [thumbsdown] )

Whatsa bong?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2005 17:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:

Whatsa bong?

Can I safely assume you're saying that half-smirking?

If you're not, a bong is a device used to smoke marijuana.

If you are, that wasn't funny. [Wink]

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2005 18:28      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a really helpful definition I found on the internet. It's from http://www.dlci.net/glossary.htm and I think covers everything you need to know about "bongs":

Bong
An interactive signal that prompts the originating end user to enter additional information. For example: 1010555 Bong (Enter Destination) Bong (Enter Billing information)

My friends and I sometimes get together, put on the Dead, and hop on the telephony equipment and request additional information while "Blues for Allah" plays in the background. Wild, man. Wild.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 13, 2005 18:58      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bienvenue HalfVast!! I am a graphic designer myself so I work with lot of prepress/mac stuff.
Glad to see ya @ GC! [Cool]

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 00:53      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya HalfVast

Welcome to "da 'hood"

I am also a Graphics and Pre Press Mac Guru (actually I think there are a few of us here - along with some rather dodgy programmers, server side techno wizards, etc... [Smile] )

Hope you enjoy it here

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 02:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Footsie:
Megage for Spungo you rock ....... have you "herd" of the Macc Lads?

Ha! Of course - them and 'Half man half biscuit'. Welcome, btw. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 05:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

That is completely wrong. Bong is the street term for a water pipe. A hookah, if you will. It is only for use with tobacco products. All the shops that sell them say so in huge disclaimer on their walls.

And welcome HalfVast.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 07:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

That is completely wrong. Bong is the street term for a water pipe. A hookah, if you will. It is only for use with tobacco products. All the shops that sell them say so in huge disclaimer on their walls.
Silly me. What was I thinking? [crazy]
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 17:05      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok DNM I knew and should've stuck a wink in there. Sorry to cause a minor uproar and I promise never to get caught doing anything like that again. Serenak, somewhere hearabouts I read your job description and nearly fell off my chair! I could have wrote it about my day (except for the all around good guy part. That's just not my style [crazy] ) You and MTB Babe are probably aquainted with my favorite line from customers, "That's not the color it is on my screen!". Second favorite, "Whadaya mean you need fonts? Don't you have then all?". The great thing about graphic programs is anyone can create their own documents. This is also the problem with graphic programs.
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 17:34      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya HalfVast

"The colours looked ok on my screen" has to be my all time favourite punter line... Along with what do you mean "you never heard of/don't support PantyScribbleDraw 0.8.2?"

Oh yeah, and "What is PDF, I can't find that in my Office 98 prefs...." That's always fun....

Fonts? Well I hold 10,000+ in my lib and OS X did me/us a huge favour by accepting cheap and nasty .ttf fonts natively (regardless of how nastily coded...)

Never mind that is why we are Mac Pre Press Gurus and "all round good guys"... (it comes from some stupid film - House 2 poss(?)) and was only ever a decrepit gag...

Welome to your new home away from home (well I hope, it sre has become mine...)

[Razz]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture