homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi All

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi All
JustRob
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 16:31      Profile for JustRob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm finally doing the formal introduction here. My name is Rob, I'm currently 22, and I live in Miami. Up until recently, I've been more of a Lit geek than a tech one, though mucking around with electronics and such things has always been a hidden passion of mine. I'm a 5th year freshman in JC here. My major has jumped around from English to History to Journalism to Engineering and all points in between. I've settled on Computer Science, though based on how the courses pan out, I may switch to either Computer or Electronic Engineering. I have a large collection of classic video games and computers, and I'm a member of the rec.arts.video.classic collection community. I'm a card carrying member of the planet's largest Star Trek Fan Association, www.sfi.org. I'm a pure SciFi geek. I have plans to eventually have this large library of stories and novels I've written published, but well, we'll see what happens.

I'm hispanic by heritage. My father was born in Cuba, my mother is 1st generation Puerto Rican, though I was born here. I speak both English and Spanish fluently, and I'm working on learning German, Russian, and Hebrew, just for the hell of it.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell.

Posts: 12 | From: North Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 17:28      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! [Big Grin]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 17:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you on here, JustRob, enjoy your time here. My alternate personalities should be along to greet you in due course.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 17:54      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, JustRob. I'm also new on this site and have enjoyed the sojourn here so far. Interesting bio you provided, especially all the language interests. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
JustRob
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 18:24      Profile for JustRob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I figured if I was gonna introduce myself, I should do it well.
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2005 07:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC, JustRob.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2005 08:13      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And welcome.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 02, 2005 11:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hi JustRob!

Welcome to our planet... we sometimes speak geek here. [Razz] [Geek]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2005 21:27      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hola and welcome! [Big Grin]
Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 06:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Sir. Do us all a favour and stick around. [Wink]

Too many newbies run away ... or perhaps Spungo scares them off.

*menacing glare*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
HaloNine
Geek Larva
Member # 3138

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 07:50      Profile for HaloNine         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
quote:
My father was born in Cuba, my mother is 1st generation Puerto Rican, though I was born here
Both my parents are first generation Puerto Rican...it's nice to see I'm not the only one here. Hope you have fun and stick around for a while [Smile]
Posts: 27 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2005 08:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome

Hope you enjoy it here and find it worth sticking around

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted January 03, 2005 17:44      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums.
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 04:05      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Mac D always beats me to it (and I hi-jacked it in the first place) I will leave him with the hello pic.

So I went off and found another [Wink] [Razz]

-

Hello and welcome

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 05:00      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
As Mac D always beats me to it (and I hi-jacked it in the first place) I will leave him with the hello pic.

So I went off and found another [Wink] [Razz]

-

Hello and welcome

So can I hi-jack this one?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 04, 2005 09:00      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome and Hi! Speaking of learning languages, I know Spanish basically, and am trying to learn French.

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 09:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heheeee! That picture strikes me as absolutely hysterical!!! Kind of a "Monty Python meets the Beatles" or something like that.

Good work! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 10 posted January 04, 2005 09:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
Welcome and Hi! Speaking of learning languages, I know Spanish basically, and am trying to learn French.

I can teach you to 'french' [Razz]
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 12:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings JustRob.

Never been to Cuba, but my communist uncle Robert visits there regularly. Keeps a push-bike at a friends place, goes on cycling tours every year, not bad for an old guy in his 80s.

Um, this story's probably not endearing me much to you is it? Oh well.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 17:10      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome JustRob, i know english and russian and am learning spanish and japanese

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
JustRob
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:59      Profile for JustRob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, the whole commie thing was before I was born, and my dad's psuedo-redneck upbringing of me has disavowed me of that part of my heritage, so no biggie.

As to the learning of the languages, well, I live in Miami and there are just soooo many tourists just hoping someone would speak their language...and if they happen to be 6ft redheaded babes...even better.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 04:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still working on French^H^H^H^H^HQuebecois.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 04:49      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Heheeee! That picture strikes me as absolutely hysterical!!! Kind of a "Monty Python meets the Beatles" or something like that.

Good work! [Big Grin]

No, no, that is not "Monty Python meets the Beatles", this is "Monty Python meets the Beatles" [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture