homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Introduction (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Introduction
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 09:48      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy. I managed to reach my 11th posting on these forums a little bit ago and thus, as promised, owe an introduction to those who've borne along.

Let's see, what to include:
1) Thus far, this seems the best board I've seen on the 'net. With few exceptions, most people here seem willing to get along and respect others - young and old alike.
2) I owned one of the first Macs produced and it has always been my preferred platform. But I do work on the Wintel boxes every now-'n'-then. But not here.
3)Some health problems have slowed my internal processor (in my head) a bit, so I don't learn as quickly as when I was in my total geek prime (about 30 years ago).
4) We raise kids around here. Our own are grown up and have their own families, including one bunch in Kent, England. Right now we have a couple of foster sons who've been with us for four and a half years. (17 and 16 year old brothers).
5)Like The Famous Druid, I'm really feeling tugged by that disasterous Tsunami - still don't know how best to help.

'nuf fer now.

Thanks for all your kindness.

Keith Baker
Garlicguy

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 10:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to our neck of the 'net, garlicguy.

I have a question. When you raise kids in Montana, are they free range kids? and what is the cash value on average, per head? [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 28, 2004 12:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome gg! [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 13:11      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcommen!

Stick around, have some fun.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 28, 2004 15:01      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bienvenue! As we say in Louisiana [Smile]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 16:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom, Snaggy, Cap'n Vic and MTB Babe: Thanks to all for the greetings.

Commander: We try to let the kids free range, but the cops keep bringing 'em back to the home place here and demanding ever increasing amounts of money. Unfortunately the cash value per head is way, way low and then there's all the danged paperwork and such when you do sell one of these two-leggers. We used to give 'em away as premiums whenever we sold an orchid (the orchids were much easier to raise and brought a better price per head), but then we found ourselves short-handed when it came to the really nasty chores such as cleaning the outhouse, castrating the bulls and stuff. So we've pretty much decided to keep these two.

Cap'n: A'm doin everthin' a can. I jus don' know how much more o' this she can take, sir!

Babe: Do folks in Louisiana really say that? "Bienvenue"? Really? What's it mean? Is it Canadian or some other foreign language?

*Takes cover behind large rock outcropping and waits to see what happens next* [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 17:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's Louisiana then surely it's "Cajun" - a sort of french pidgin?

Deliberate use of lower case french, as it isn't pure "French" like Canadian French, or Swiss French, more a sort of almalgam of French and half a dozen other languages...

To any Cajun speakers out there, my knowledge is very limited, if you know better tell me... I am prepared to be corrected...

To Garlic Man,

Belated welcome, I am one of the crew known as the skellies, due to our avatar..., I am sure you will figure it out..

I for one couldn't live without garlic, hope your crop is abundant and of lovley large cloved bulbs...

Happy New Year...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2004 18:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Garlic Guy,

I've been seeing elephant garlic in my local Giant grocery store. What is it and how do you use it? It doesn't fit in my Pampered Chef garlic press.

~Garlic lover in Lancaster

/advice column query

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 07:50      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A big "hello" to you from the midwest! Welcome to our strange gathering!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 10:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Serenak, Rhonwyyn, and Black Widow for the kind welcomes.

Appreciate the tip on the "Skellies", Serenak. And an additional thanks for the blessing you offered for the garlic crop.

Rhonwyyn: Don't know what to tell you about elephant garlic. I've tried several varieties, all of which lacked 'real' garlic flavor (you know, the punch in pungent?). But it's such a personal thing. Besides, I'm no expert on garlic, just a guy with a recipe.
Maybe elephant garlic is best left to the elephants? As for the Pampered Chef, I've got one of those running around here but can't get her to wear the cute little French maid outfit I bought her. Any suggestions? And I'm kinda wonderin' about that 'Giant' grocery store thing though. I thought things were big in Texas. [Big Grin]

Black Widow: We have some friends in Kirksville, MO. We lived in Elk Creek (Houston County) for a couple of years pre-Y2K. The Ozarks are nice, but the heat & humidity in summer was too oppressive for my clan.

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 11:28      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Black Widow: We have some friends in Kirksville, MO. We lived in Elk Creek (Houston County) for a couple of years pre-Y2K. The Ozarks are nice, but the heat & humidity in summer was too oppressive for my clan.

Small world...I was in Kirksville yesterday! It's a little over an hour away from me, to the northwest. I moved here from Reno, Nevada, about 1.5 years ago, so I'm truly still enjoying the humidity!
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 11:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Widow said: (edited a bit)
quote:
Small world... > I moved here from Reno, Nevada, about 1.5 years ago
A truly small world, BW. Our boys are originally from Henderson, NV.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2004 13:14      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit late (it's not really my fault, damn flaky internet), but 'ey up from Yorkshire, gg [thumbsup] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted December 30, 2004 08:07      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 30, 2004 11:18      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons and ZorrotheFox, thanks for the welcome to the forums.

Well it's snowin' crazy outside right now, can't see the mountains or the lake, so it seemed a good idea to come in and check the boards (note the spiffy sunglasses on this post to prevent snow-blindness).

--------------------

Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 10:59      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Nice to meet you. Hope you have a nice New Years!
Posts: 24 | From: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 11:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And welcome to the forums.

Sorry for the late posting. Ive been busy latley.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 13:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ally- thanks for the welcome.

And ditto to Mac D. I love that old Mac picture. It nearly killed me to part with my first Mac.

Noticed on the other thread that you'd moved to Sioux Falls. Great town, except for being home to that Gateway outfit. Good luck in your new digs.

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 15:58      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Ally- thanks for the welcome.

And ditto to Mac D. I love that old Mac picture. It nearly killed me to part with my first Mac.

Noticed on the other thread that you'd moved to Sioux Falls. Great town, except for being home to that Gateway outfit. Good luck in your new digs.

Gateway is in Sioux City SD (Next to Sioux City IA) an hour south of here.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 15:40      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

To any Cajun speakers out there, my knowledge is very limited, if you know better tell me... I am prepared to be corrected...

Cajun French is similar to the French you would hear out in rural areas of France. Most of the Acadians that settled down in South Louisiana were discouraged from speaking in French, and were not taught how to write it. It is also interesting to note that different areas of Cajun country have sub accents when speaking. A trained ear can pick out whether a person is from Cut-Off, Dulac, Chauvin, etc. by the way they sound. Unfortunately, I do not speak Cajun French. I do understand it and translate it fairly accurately thanks to my grandmother that spoke it all the time.

Oh and I know this is late and all that, but I was busy with house repairs. Welcome to the forums garlicguy.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 05:55      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Hello, or Salut as they say in these parts.

I suppose I am close as to what be defined as a french speaker on these boards. Living and trying to work in Geneva, Switzerland, where the main language is a french with local variations.

As to Cajun, well having heard it been spoken a couple of times on the television, I can understand it, just.
Quebequois is worse and Acadien is the worst of all.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 06:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest Quebecois is the worst, personally. I was raised Acadien French, but lost it when I moved when I was very young. I can still (mostly) understand it and translate it, but can't speak it worth a damn.

Quebecois, I'm like a deer in headlights.

And while I realise that I'm biased in what I've heard, I find Quebecois to be severely bastardised. Still trying to learn it (and failing) though.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 09:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't said it yet, welcome.

So to join the current conversation topic, I consider myself a French speaker. I try to keep talking it clean with strangers and at work, alhough I often revert to Quebecois at home.

Other than that, I speak English, but I've been trying to learn Russian for a few years. (OK, I haven't put as much efforts as I should if I was serious about it, but still) I can also decipher most of Spanish and Italian, thanks to the common latin roots and a few songs I've tried to translate (see my sig., for example). And I've started picking up a few words in German, Japanese and Chineese, mainly from reading mangas and eating asian food.

I've always considered learning many languages as a sign of an open mind.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 09:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd kill to be fluent in French and Japanese.

French because it's my country's other official language from the one I know.

Japanese cus it sounds so damned cool.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 10:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'd kill to be fluent in French and Japanese.

French because it's my country's other official language from the one I know.

Japanese cus it sounds so damned cool.

You know what they say? Immersion is the best way to learn a language. So take a dive into the Rivière des Outaouais, you may pick up some French. (Just kidding, of course.)

A point to note is there is no such thing as French immersion in Quebec's metropolitan areas. Most people just switch to English once they hear someone struggle in French, even if they are no better themselves in English. May I suggest you Reunion Island, instead? It must be sweet this time of the year. Or all year around, for what I know. On the other hand, I believe they have their own regionalisation. Oh well, off to Belgium you go. Hmmmm.... Chocolate, beer and BDs! [Big Grin]

As for Japanese, get good kanji and hiragana/katakana dictionnaries, buy non-translated manga, rent some anime and listen to them in Japanese w/subtitle - that's a nice way to start. (And it's much cheaper than staying 3 months in Tokyo.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture