homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hi
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 19:01      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey everyone, im new. i suppose i would call myself a geek since i spend all my free time online, i want to become an archaeologist, when im not online im watching movies, and i've been to at least one anime comic convention in san diego california where i lived for 5 years and never tanned! lol. so yeah i stumbled over this website looking for a movie geeks forum and thought it was way cool that there was a page devoted to geeks. way to go! it also seemed really friendly so i hope to meet a lot of the super cool people that seem to post here. hope to talk to ya'll soon!
Posts: 24 | From: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 19:32      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! [Big Grin] Read through some of the archives to catch up on running gags and points of interest. If you look hard enough you can even find out what the jumble of letters I use for a name means. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2004 20:30      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
will do, thanks [Smile] i've got a whole month off of school for my christmas vacation, so that should be plenty of time to catch up [Smile]
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 06:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Ally,

CA to VA just to find us. Sounds like quite a journey. Many happy posts.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 09:39      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Join the New People Club. As Im also new.

But welcome, and I hope you have fun around here. I am.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 10:06      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the welcomes [Smile] you all seem like a really nice group of people, can't wait to get to know all of you!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 11:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome ally! Hrm.. I've already replied in your other thread but that was hardly an official welcome. So, without further adu...

Welcome... officially! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 13:58      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah you did [Big Grin] but thanks for the welcome anyway

what is everyone doing for the holidays?

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 11, 2004 14:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ally!

Welcome, ... glad to have ya here! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 15:07      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<quickly sneaks in before Mac D>

Hehe, nobody has got the picture in yet...

-

<quickly sneaks out again>

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 11, 2004 17:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and welcome,

Please try to use the shift key and be careful with your spelling - otherwise the grumpy old pedants like me find it hard to follow your meaning... [Smile]

However be welcome and enjoy... I am still reasonably new here and have already found interesting conversation, debate and that strange state that is "online friendship"...

Here, as opposed to IRL, it seems easy to bare one's soul to the searing gaze of online geeks and receive nothing but honest and (usually) friendly advice...

GC is like a bar (or Starbucks) after work/college - there are regulars, regular drop-ins, and occasionals. Jokers, commentators, etc...

Interestingly though because (usually) age is initially concealed (unlike a real life bar/Starbucks), you may find yourself discussing with someone older or younger than you might mix with IRL... "which is nice..." to quote a UK comedy (The Fast Show)..

Hope you enjoy and fit in, some last - some leave: if it your scene you will soon know.

One piece of advice for you (and a mistake I fell into myself) GC is a nice place (and relatively small) with an international mix of posters, so sometimes replies don't show up immediately. Learn to look on it almost like Victorian Post... You NEED to allow 24hrs for all the regulars to have a chance to get in...

That is not to say that I haven't ingulged in a little 2am posting frenzy when I've found myself online at the same time as some other regulars... Just don't expect it as normal...

Have an "insanely great" time - and check out the After Y2K archive... Oh how I laughed....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 17:11      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:

-

[cry baby]

Welcome! I'll get over this ....... Maybe.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 20:39      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have been getting lectured about the Shift key a lot, so I guess I better start using that haha. And as far as spelling goes, usually I'm pretty good with it but I guess I missed a few words in that post, sorry! [Frown]

I feel bad because last year I was an English major (I've recently changed to Archaeology, but still I feel bad). So ok, shift key is in use and my spelling should be much better. Correct?

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2004 22:12      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:

-

Hehehe... MacPaint [Geek]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 01:58      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit late but hey anyway Ally, good to see you [thumbsup]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 08:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me shows up a bit late.

Hi Ally, welcome to the Forums.

Sorry, I can't find much more enthusiasm...I'm still kind of wiped.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2004 16:03      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, nice to meet you. No worries about not having any energy, I'm about to take a math placement exam tomorrow and I am extremely nervous about it. I have been studying for months for this thing. I'll let you all know how I did. [Big Grin]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2004 09:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me shows up a bit late.

<threadjack> What happened, dman? Long weekend? Or too short for everything you wanted to get done? (Hmmm... "get done." A Dutchy saying, perhaps?)

</threadjack>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2004 11:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me shows up a bit late.

<threadjack> What happened, dman? Long weekend? Or too short for everything you wanted to get done? (Hmmm... "get done." A Dutchy saying, perhaps?)

</threadjack>

Hmm...let's see, I wrote that on Sunday evening. I did a consulting gig on Saturday, came home, did laundry, coded, slept, got up Sunday, took care of a thing or two, and went to work @ 1300 because I'd not been properly informed what would be going on at 1600, so I needed to feel things out. I gave my boss a call @~1430, after having done everything I could do, only to find out that he was coming down to set things up with me (he never told me that!), so things would be cool. Then, I finally got some coffee, got together with him and someone else, and proceeded to do the actual job I was getting paid to do. Caught up briefly with a friend afterwards, schlepped kit back to the office, and wrote that post, and then went home for dinner, read a lot of e-mail, and went to sleep.

Yay!

This demoralizing post brought to you by dragonman97, and his magnificent dark cloud. [Big Grin]

/me is now listening to "I'll take the rain" - iTunes is friggin' brilliant.

(Actually, I'm in a better mood now.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2004 11:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you feel better dman, I'm spending today trying to fiugure out what the hell I did and didn't do on Saturday. It's always scary when things that aren't supposed to work work...

Oh yeah, and I found myself studying for my orals yesterday...on a ski lift.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2004 14:02      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, sounds like you guys are pretty busy. I just got home from my math exam and I am stunned...that's what math does to me. Unlike the first time I took the exam I had no calculator, and had to use pencil and paper instead of a computer. I will find out my results tomorrow when I have to deal with the idiot counselors lol. Wish me luck!
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted December 13, 2004 18:45      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ally
Geek Larva
Member # 3131

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2004 10:39      Profile for Ally     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome. OMG everyone, I passed my math placement test and I am registered in a college level algebra course!!! This is the first time in my life when I passed a placement test especially without a calculator!!! I cried when I told my older sister about my score. I will definitely not take this math class for grantit. Hope everyone is having a great day as well!
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2004 14:03      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OMG"?
"LOL"?
"English major"?
What language do they speak on your planet anyway?
Oh and hi yourself
/grump mode

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2004 16:47      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a similar test (I suppose) in my pre-calc class. The classes average (certainly not mine) was down, so she gave us this test to pull our grades. I'll get results....sometime.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture