homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi everyone (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hi everyone
niltiac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 21:53      Profile for niltiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just stumbled across this site and thought the comics were pretty funny and subsequently found a lot of the forum posts rather funny as well!

Let's see, I'm a 24 year old girl from New York City and I do media research for a living. I'd say it's definitely an interesting job and at the same time makes my friends eyes glaze over when I talk about the specifics of it. I can imagine many in this forum experience the same thing if they, too, do something that forces them to say the word "data" at least 25 times in a single day. Yep... mine is a pretty nerdy job.

I'm a Mac user and have been since I was like 9. I've got an old ass iMac G3 shitbox that, amazingly, is still kicking. I also have a spankin' new G4 iBook. And I'm an iPod addict. Once I got accidentally shoved to the ground in the Subway and the first thing I looked to protect was my iPod.. not my glasses that went skidding across the floor.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty fun place. Let the noob flames begin.. haha.

Posts: 4 | From: nyc | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 23, 2004 22:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
niltiac ! Welcome! [Smile] [thumbsup]
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, stick around and have some fun. We don't flame n00bs here, just rightwing nutjobs.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2004 23:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, niltiac. I'm csk, the inaugural member of the Collective. The others should be along shortly. Enjoy your time here!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 00:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey niltiac, and welcome!
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 02:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I assume your real name is your screen name backwards, in which case what a pretty name. Your family is of Irish extraction?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 04:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome niltiac

I am part of what Cal above me like to call the Skellies. My stalker will be along to day to send his regards.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 05:25      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And welcome.

You might want to get your hip waders out for all the BS that get's tossed around here. But then again that's what makes this site so fun.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 10:46      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo Hoo! Someone else from NYC.

Welcome!

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 12:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:

Welcome!

Agreed - rock on!

(from a very-near-the-city geek [Smile] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
niltiac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:08      Profile for niltiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Welcome. I assume your real name is your screen name backwards, in which case what a pretty name. Your family is of Irish extraction?

Hey, Cal. Very perceptive of you.. yes, my screen name is my real name backwards and yes, I am of Irish extraction and tend to live up the the myriad stereotypes imposed upon my people (you can form your own opinion based on that assertion).
niltiac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:09      Profile for niltiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Welcome!

I take it there aren't a lot of us floating around here, then?
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by niltiac:
quote:

Hey, Cal. Very perceptive of you.. yes, my screen name is my real name backwards and yes, I am of Irish extraction and tend to live up the the myriad stereotypes imposed upon my people (you can form your own opinion based on that assertion).
You're a drunk who likes fistfights?

(before giving me shit for the unfair stereotype, take a look at my nickname. [Wink] )

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
niltiac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3101

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 15:07      Profile for niltiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're a drunk who likes fistfights?

Bingo.
Haha.. seriously, I do like to take a drink. Not into actual fistfights, but tend to get a little antagonistic in a fun way when I've been "overserved."

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 15:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Welcome!

Nah...we're quietly taking over the place [Big Grin] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 16:42      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I am Shroom's stalker (that's what he says - I say the reverse, you'll get used to it!) and another member of what Cal calls the skellies.... I think you'll soon guess why if you haven't already.

So how, phonetically would you pronounce this Irish/gaelic name? I'm afraid that Siobahn still screams "Si-o-barn" to me even though my readings teach me it should be "Chev-awn" [Wink]
(NB how can he be "Shorn Been"? Surely he should be either "Seen Been" or "Shorn Born"? talk about cake and eating it!

I tried a "teach yourself gaelic" book but unfortunately it was all rendered in academic phonetic notation (in other words you had to learn *that* language before tackling the gaelic itself). What I needed was a non linguist's version - eg banabahn = van-o vawn (or whatever) not a book that felt like trying to learn gaelic by first translating it into greek...

Anyway - ignore my rambling and WELCOME TO GC, hope you enjoy your stay...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted November 24, 2004 17:36      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:40      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
quote:

Welcome!

I though that was the Aussies? [Confused] [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Oh yes and welcome.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 01:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Welcome!

Oh yes and welcome.

It is.
They're just a few of csk's figments pretending to be New Yorkers.

Oh yes, /welcome.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Welcome!

Oh yes and welcome.

It is.

Oh yes, /welcome.

Is this turning into another one of those huge hourglass dealies?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Welcome!

Oh yes and welcome.

It is.

Oh yes, /welcome.

Is this turning into another one of those huge hourglass dealies?
I don't believe so. The text in the middle isn't quite narrow enough.

--------------------

klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:25      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Woohooo, let's hear it for the Irish. And, yes, we can live up to a few stereo-types sometimes. I don't know if it is because the stereo-types are true, or if we just use them as an excuse to act that way. [Wink]

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by klynn:
And, yes, we can live up to a few stereo-types sometimes.

One is remoinded of dat fella, whatshisname - Alan Partridge...

Alan Partridge on Ireland:

"I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrock, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives... men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings... I think people are saying 'yes, there's more to Ireland than this'."

Alan Partridge on the Irish potato famine:

"I mean, if it was just the potatoes that were affected, at the end of the day, you're will pay the price if you're a fussy eater."

Alan Partridge on 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' by U2:

"What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you’ve got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think 'Sunday, bloody Sunday!'."

[Razz]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 25, 2004 09:18      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[And, yes, we can live up to a few stereo-types sometimes.

What's wrong with what I type? [Mad] ... [Big Grin]

Oh! Hum, hi, niltiac!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 09:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
[And, yes, we can live up to a few stereo-types sometimes.

What's wrong with what I type?
<Obvious extrapolated gag>
Anyone here read the new music webzine Stereo Head? [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture