homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Greetings!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greetings!
Mike M
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted November 23, 2004 18:11      Profile for Mike M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stumbled across this site a few days ago while surfing the web and think the site and community look pretty cool, so I joined up! I haven't really participated in an online community since high school (5 years ago, it seems so long now!)...I can see myself wasting...spending a lot of time here [Smile]

I am just finishing college and starting a job in a field I love...computers! It's great to get paid well to do stuff I used to volunteer for!

My two biggest interests are Star Trek (DS9 [best], TNG, ENT, TOS, VOY [worst]) and They Might Be Giants' music. My dad got me into TNG when I was about 10 and a friend at college and a co-worker got me into TMBG within the last year. I've probably seen every Trek episode at least 4 times, except for Enterprise (due to its newness) and can quote way too many scenes [Smile] I've now got every TMBG album and easily accessible EP and am starting to snatch up the rare ones when I can.

Aside from that, I also like B5, love SG-1, follow the Debian project and general linux news, play DDR for exercise, play RTS and RPG games, and like to play games and go to movies with fellow co-worker geeks.

--------------------
Mike

"Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful." - Don't Let's Start - They Might Be Giants

Posts: 17 | From: Rochester, MN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted November 23, 2004 18:14      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums

--------------------
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.~~Winston Smith

Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 06:03      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And welcome

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 06:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Mike,

Kick your feet up have a cup o' joe and the Cosmic Bong will be around sometime in the near future to lighten everyone's spirits.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
liguid_fantasy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3099

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 08:31      Profile for liguid_fantasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings!

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!!

--------------------
I will do this.
Nothing matters except for this.
No moment exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I shall die in this moment.

Posts: 14 | From: Buckinghamshire, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 10:49      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 12:57      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who notices that 99/100 newbies drop in, say, "hi i found the site via xxxxx" -- post a maximum of 10 times, and then never come back?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 13:00      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Am I the only one who notices that 99/100 newbies drop in, say, "hi i found the site via xxxxx" -- post a maximum of 10 times, and then never come back?

Well stop scaring them off then.
[Razz]
hehe

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
quote:

Well stop scaring them off then.
[Razz]
hehe

I knew I should have put on some deoderant this morning.
Mike M
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3100

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 14:55      Profile for Mike M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I've posted 10 times now, should I leave? [Cool]

--------------------
Mike

"Everyone dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful." - Don't Let's Start - They Might Be Giants

Posts: 17 | From: Rochester, MN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 24, 2004 15:52      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike M:

Yes, get out. [Razz] Just kidding.

Hello, and welcome.

</short, choppy not-sentences>

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 17:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

We all hoped you'd stop in 10....then 100.....then 1000...... [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted November 24, 2004 18:07      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!!!! Enjoy the shiny objects everywhere!

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2004 19:24      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike M:

Just look at me, they have been trying to get rid of me since I joined. I mean over 4 years and not yet 2000 posts.

Welcome to the jungle/madhouse/alien planet (strike unecessary option).

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 07:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

We all hoped you'd stop in 10....then 100.....then 1000...... [Big Grin]
Now you're screwed. Cus the next plateau is 10k, and that's WAY off.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me about it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2004 13:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Tell me about it.

I intend on it. About 8.951 times.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget------I still do not know why you would want to buy a car built in that old press room?That factory must be fifty years old.

And a quick question do you know what NAFTA stands for?

No American Factories Taking Applications!

At least for four more years.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 07:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
drunkennewfiemidget------I still do not know why you would want to buy a car built in that old press room?That factory must be fifty years old.

And a quick question do you know what NAFTA stands for?

ha ha. It was a picture taken at a factory entirely for aesthetic reasons. The factory the cars are made in I'm sure look nothing like that .. the factory they're made in is in Mexico. [Big Grin]
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 07:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

Sorry MoMan those are never coming back. At least not in the near future. But hey at least we are considered 3rd world labor for places like Japan and Germany.
[Frown]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2004 09:12      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like that Dilbert comic ... where they outsource help lines to Elbonia, which outsources to somewhere, which outsources to them. They're the low bidders 'cuz they lie about their hold times; as Dilbert tells the PHB, they're paying to shaft themselves.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture