homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » "poor fool" personified (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "poor fool" personified
fool6000000001
Geek Larva
Member # 2761

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 09:12      Profile for fool6000000001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have read any of my other posts, you'll already know a lot about me. I'm relatively new here, and scored around 65% at least on the definitive online geek test. I'm proud to announce I'm of a good enough education to use correct grammar and punctuation in my posts, and I am of an unsound enough mind to contribute a good deal of unintelligible material in the creative section.
I like sleep, food, Coca-cola, sleep, er... computers, enthusing about computers, Linux, and that peaceful feeling some of you may have felt when in the middle of any patch of English countryside, when the weather is good enough to not be cold, but just bad enough to not need to slap on some factor 30, and you feel like you could stay there, lying in a field, staring up at the clouds forever. This should hopefully not remind you of the Windows XP Bliss desktop background, but no doubt it will.
I don't like life, bipedal life forms, me, Windows, raisins (bad memories of eating stalks), Philadelphia light, and reality TV.
I hate the system, the man, the machine, big brother, capitalism and totalitarianism.

--------------------
Food is my life. Sleep is my escape.

Posts: 21 | From: The sub-etha | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 11:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also like starting pointless threads....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2004 12:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to be honest with you - I'm not even going to read the originating post in this thread, and I completely ignored the other threads and posts of yours elsewhere. It looks to be utterly verbose drivel, written in either a state of hypercaffeination, or the sob story of an undercaffeinated lit. major. Having a nickname that looks like a spam address doesn't pull me either. Oh, and 'fool' just doesn't sound like a competent descriptor, IMHO.

Okay, I'm off to go power cycle a switch.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2004 05:11      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I've got to be honest with you - I'm not even going to read the originating post in this thread, and I completely ignored the other threads and posts of yours elsewhere. It looks to be utterly verbose drivel, written in either a state of hypercaffeination, or the sob story of an undercaffeinated lit. major. Having a nickname that looks like a spam address doesn't pull me either. Oh, and 'fool' just doesn't sound like a competent descriptor, IMHO.

Okay, I'm off to go power cycle a switch.

Thank you, dragonman. I couldn't have put it better.
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:11      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm new here too... And to be honest, this doesn't really seem that fair. From this post, which I'm assuming is the first one, as it's in the introductory section, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with this person.

Or have they offended you elsewhere? Should I be looking around a little first before I jump in, guns blazing, to defend the new guy as the new gal? [Confused]

--------------------
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Why, sir, I believe if you take a blowtorch to them you can melt them over. Proof that your product is faulty...

Posts: 16 | From: Merrie olde England | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latter. fool (as appropriately named as he is) has started countless pointless threads -- probably close to all of his 19 or so posts have been meaningless threads that he just started out of nowhere all at once. Most of them being repeated crap.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 11:46      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, besides - from your birth year you should know - all newbies are equal, some newbies are less equal than others. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 14:21      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahahaha!! [Big Grin]

Not just my birth year, but my favourite book. [Smile] Fortunate, eh?

So, I shouldn't come, scantily clad, swinging on a vine to his rescue then?

--------------------
Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Why, sir, I believe if you take a blowtorch to them you can melt them over. Proof that your product is faulty...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 14:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by punkpixie1984:
Hahahaha!! [Big Grin]

So, I shouldn't come, scantily clad, swinging on a vine to his rescue then?

Eh, you can do all but rescue him, I suppose [evil] .

Sorry, but someone had to say it [Razz] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 14:48      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I don't understand. [blush]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wot? No mention of the last great Van Halen album?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is our good friend the dragon is imagining a scantily clad woman swinging on a vine, and probably wondering how you compare to that image.

Of course if you have to explain the joke, it's ceases to become funny. [ohwell]

Click here for a listing of all the posts fool has been making around here, and you can evaluate his posts for yourself.

This post in particular is rather fitting for his username.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:16      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. [blush]

I guess I shouldn't confuse you further with a request for an arse pic just yet.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:18      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I meant the grammar. [blush] Sorry, I'm a positive nazi when it comes to the English language. Please, anyone, feel free to pick up on any mistakes I make; I can't stand it. [Smile]

And I had a look at some of the posts. For that person, I will be going nowhere scantily clad. Utopian World... Good Lord... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No, I meant the grammar. [blush] Sorry, I'm a positive nazi when it comes to the English language. Please, anyone, feel free to pick up on any mistakes I make; I can't stand it. [Smile]

My deepest apologies - post fixed. Sorry, I let that one slip by - I had written 'by' instead of 'but.' I think I was multitasking then, and let my fingers enter a race condition [Wink] .

--------------------

punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 15:54      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. [Smile] Countless times I've written "them" or "they" instead of "the", etc

And I am sorry about picking up on little things like that. You must punish me if I do it too often, indeed, if I do it again. [thumbsup]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 16:48      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You started a sentence with 'and'....... [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 17:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome punkpixie1984, good to have you on board. Just be careful about the "you'll have to punish me", or you'll attract Zorro, and really be in trouble [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 17:34      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Actually, that is no longer a "rule of English" Cap'n.

quote:
Taken from dictionary.com:

Q. Can I use 'and' (or 'but', etc.) at the start of a sentence?
A. Yes.

The old "rule" that you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction has actually gone by the wayside. Occasionally, especially in casual writing, you can begin a sentence with and or but. These words are mainly used to join elements within a sentence, but they have begun sentences since the tenth century. But, like anything in grammar, do it sparingly. Variety is the spice of writing, as it is of life!

Edit: It looks like using "and" at the start of a sentence is just something that goes in and out of fashion.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2004 18:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Actually, that is no longer a "rule of English" Cap'n.

quote:
Taken from dictionary.com:

Q. Can I use 'and' (or 'but', etc.) at the start of a sentence?
A. Yes.

The old "rule" that you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction has actually gone by the wayside.

Edit: It looks like using "and" at the start of a sentence is just something that goes in and out of fashion.

From the same website:
quote:
oxymoron

n : conjoining contradictory terms (as in `deafening silence', or 'American guide to proper English usage')

[Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
punkpixie1984
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2898

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 00:18      Profile for punkpixie1984     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wonderful! A whole forum full of pedantic people! I'm in cyber heaven! [Smile]

And now, I realise it may have been a mistake to say that... [Big Grin]

And, curiously, behind this English rose exterior, I have... Oh, shall we say, a naughty side?

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 08:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean you like to conjugate verbs in your spare time too?! [Big Grin]

.. er. uhm. you should probably ignore that. [blush]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 09:31      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh, wonderful! A whole forum full of pedantic people! I'm in cyber heaven! [Smile]

And now, I realise it may have been a mistake to say that... [Big Grin]

And, curiously, behind this English rose exterior, I have... Oh, shall we say, a naughty side?

Yes, like blowtorching innocent weebles perhaps. Actually as these were all the rage when I was a lad but now I'm an old fart™ I'm surprised you know of them.

There's also a piss poor joke about people getting kicked in the spuds, with the punchline weebles wobble but they don't fall down but it's really not worth repeating, except that I just did, kind of.

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 21, 2004 10:51      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lawnmower Deth released a song called weebles wobble but they never fall down. Available on their seminal album "ooh crikey".
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2004 07:17      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
You mean you like to conjugate verbs in your spare time too?! [Big Grin]

.. er. uhm. you should probably ignore that. [blush]

Miss Flamiel: Yakko, can you conjugate?
Yakko: Who, me? I've never even *kissed* a girl!
Miss Flamiel: No no no. It's easy. I'll conjugate with you.
Yakko: Goodnight, everybody!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the pointless Animaniacs reference. It just brings back so many childhood memories.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture