homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hi everyone :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hi everyone :)
disciple3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 2874

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted August 05, 2004 12:30      Profile for disciple3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to say hi to everyone, and introduce myself. I stumbled on this place whilst googling, and it seemed like a nice location to hang my hat, and join in, so to speak. I am a bit of a lurker on forums usually, but the friendly fellow geek atmosphere seemed like a welcoming place!

I am a dev database administrator from Nottingham in the UK, and into all things techie. I just wanted to say hi, and see if I can get to know anything about anybody. I am into movies, reading and politics outside of my outwardly geekie demeanor. It would be nice to meet a few people, and spend some more interactive time outside of code and playing computer games...

I am little shy, but I hope I can get to know people.

Posts: 9 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 13:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome....stick around and have some fun.

/me wonders about the sudden UK invasion

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
disciple3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 2874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 13:14      Profile for disciple3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sudden UK invasion? Has there been another war already? [Embarrassed]

Perhaps we in the UK have just got to a certain level of burgeoning geek culture?

I am reading some of the forums but I havent got up the courage to post any meaningless nonsense yet...

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 13:17      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This place is all about the 'meaningless nonsense'.

It seems every every few months a 'worm hole' opens and we get a flood of UKers....I dunno why.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 6 posted August 05, 2004 13:35      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, I've only been here a short time myself but it's been a great place to chat and the people around here are really great!
~Richard

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 14:20      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Welcome, I've only been here a short time myself but it's been a great place to chat and the people around here are really great!
~Richard

You're only saying that because someone poked your eye out.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2004 15:58      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
~Richard

You're only saying that because someone poked your eye out.
And then they told me I liked it... being the nice person I am I would have to agree I deffinatly liked it. Now if I could kindly have it back... at least quit playing hackysack with it... guys... c'mon.
Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 05:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would now be a bad time to mention my dog ate your eye?

And welcome disciple.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
disciple3d
Newbie Larva
Member # 2874

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 06:32      Profile for disciple3d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you got any more of those eyes? Tasty, with a light white wine sauce. mmm [Smile]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 12:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made my (first ever) wine purchase today. I bought a chablis on the recommendation of the clerk. I'm using it for a white wine reduction sauce for chicken and artichoke hearts with mushrooms. Anyone know a basic recipe to make the sauce? Any favorite places to d/l recipes?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 16:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some pillaged from popular restaraunts by former employees

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted August 06, 2004 19:16      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 06, 2004 19:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cap'n!! CopyKat hosts recipes for some great dishes (sans/con wine). I can't wait to try them!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 19:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, check out recipesource . I used to use it back when it was SOAR, and it was very comprehensive, in terms of the number of different recipes it coverered.

Edit: CopyKat even has the Neiman Marcus urban legend, correctly marked as such. Impressive!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 19:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, CSK, I'm not seeing an urban legend on that page. There's a sentence fragment of something that sounds like the beginning of a story, but nothing more. I might be having browser problems. Has Mozilla released the next version of Firefox?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 20:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's working for me using Firefox 0.8 under Linux.

If my link doesn't work, just navigate to "cookies", then Nieman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 20:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. [ohwell] Maybe I'll just have to try again tomorrow. I don't know about y'all, but it's bedtime here!

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 20:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2308==bedtime? Sleep is for the....uh....clonk...

***stray packets fly across the ether and cross out of the headphone cable, and wake up the dragon....***

Er...I was saying?

Actually, 'tis 2345 here, and I'll be going for quite some time - got some hacking to do (though I had a load of fun earlier this evening downloading a music video that iTunes tried very, very hard to keep me from downloading). OTOH, I did just get back from a vacation [Wink] .

Good night, sweet dreams,

dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2004 20:58      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ what he said.. cept for the *yawn* part about the drag*yawn*on and the vacatio*yaaawn* and the iTun*Zzzzz*
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2004 04:51      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
^^ what he said.. cept for the *yawn* part about the drag*yawn*on and the vacatio*yaaawn* and the iTun*Zzzzz*

you sound wasted, maybe you should go to bed, get some rest - you'll feel better in the morning...
Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2004 08:07      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

you sound wasted, maybe you should go to bed, get some rest - you'll feel better in the morning...
I wasn't wasted, just very tired, and I do feel better. Unfortunately, my dad has some hard labour planed for me today *gulp* [thumbsdown]
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Katie
Geek
Member # 2502

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 07, 2004 12:56      Profile for Katie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A belated welcome to you disciple

--------------------
I am not the type of person to do shamless plugging,how dare you
http://freewebs.com/lordofmuffins

Posts: 183 | From: Florida land of the retired | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2004 14:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome dude.

"Look Edward - a stranger has come over 'New Road'"
"Is he not local? Look here - this is a decent website and a local forum..."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture