homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Newbie Alert!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie Alert!
hellforksmaniac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2866

Icon 4 posted July 31, 2004 04:26      Profile for hellforksmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warning I'm a newbie to these boards! Anyway hi!

--------------------
I am the maniac of hell's forks

Posts: 2 | From: A land far away... | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 05:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 4 posted July 31, 2004 10:52      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No sense cluttering up the boards with new topics... I'm new around here as well... nice to meet you all.
~REM

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 11:30      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome all. And Richard, because of your consideration, have some sparklies.
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 11:43      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

Thank you... I'm sitting here bored out of my mind at work... it's nice to be able to sleep all day for what I'm paid but it would be even better if I didn't work in the computer room, so many blinky lights it's difficult to sleep sometimes... so I just unplug them... [Smile]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 31, 2004 12:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Richard and hellforksmaniac [Smile]
Posts: 8101 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 12:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:

Thank you... I'm sitting here bored out of my mind at work... it's nice to be able to sleep all day for what I'm paid but it would be even better if I didn't work in the computer room, so many blinky lights it's difficult to sleep sometimes... so I just unplug them... [Smile]
Isn't that the best way to have fun?! [Big Grin]

You could also be like my boss and I, and play a game of chicken by unplugging the UPS to the core router rack [evil] . That's always fun...or just pulling one of the media converters out of it's power slots...."Oh, I guess [insert building name here] doesn't have an Internet connection now." This is all for the sake of testing, of course [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 14 posted July 31, 2004 12:43      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While amusing it just wouldn't be enjoyable right now... You see I work for a bank (in their HQ) and I'm the only person in the building right now... even the security guard has gone home for the day.

So here I sit switching back and forth between here and /. waiting for something interesting to read.

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 13:24      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh, I guess [insert building name here] doesn't have an Internet connection now."

OMG!!! I love this! This is pure GENIUS! GENIUS I TELL YOU!!!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 16:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hellforksmaniac:

From one (quite vocal) newbie to another, "Hail fellow well met." (CSK, you'll take care of my comma insertion for me, right? [Wink] )

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 16:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see we have a lurker too
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2004 19:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:

From one (quite vocal) newbie to another, "Hail fellow well met." (CSK, you'll take care of my comma insertion for me, right? [Wink] )
Yep, right between "fellow" and "well" [Razz]

Oh, and greetings hellforksmaniac and Richard. My alternate personalities should be along to greet you shortly. Enjoy your time here!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2004 05:53      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome to the boards richard + hellforksmaniac

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2004 11:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
While amusing it just wouldn't be enjoyable right now... You see I work for a bank (in their HQ) and I'm the only person in the building right now... even the security guard has gone home for the day.

So here I sit switching back and forth between here and /. waiting for something interesting to read.

Ah, I'm sorry, that wasn't the correct answer. The correct answer was, "the security guard has gone home and I'm patiently waiting for my software to finish switching my bank account with Mr Gates'.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted August 03, 2004 18:34      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 18:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
quote:

Oh, and greetings hellforksmaniac and Richard. My alternate personalities should be along to greet you shortly. Enjoy your time here!

Ok, punctuation nazi, punctuate this: [Razz]

that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is

(bonus points for anyone who can spot where I stole it from)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10671 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 19:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

But .. I'm just a humble comma nazi, not a punctuation nazi [cry baby]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 20:13      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
quote:

That? That is. Is that? That is not. Is not? Is that it? It is.

Can't remember where from though... straining ma brain.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 20:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

Uhm... uh... Flowers for Algernon.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2004 21:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

Uhm... uh... Flowers for Algernon.

Give the man a banana !
(or a cheese sandwich)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 02:56      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, ooh, i've got an even better one from the pages of "great aussie brain teasers". here we go:

quote:

in a school examination margaret where jimmy had had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval

the sentence makes complete sense when punctuation is used [Wink]

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 05:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In a school examination, Margaret where Jimmy had had "had", had had "Had had". "Had had" had the teachers approval.

A teacher gave that to us as a brain teaser in grade 5.

He then spent half a day explaining to us how it actually worked.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 05:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This is the kind of English up with which I will not put"
- Winston Churchill

Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 07:38      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

In a school examination, Margaret where Jimmy had had "had", had had "Had had". "Had had" had the teachers approval.

A teacher gave that to us as a brain teaser in grade 5.

He then spent half a day explaining to us how it actually worked.

I'm not sure about that, it makes sense, but not complete sense

In a school examination, Margaret, where Jimmy had had "had", had had "Had had". "Had had" had the teachers approval.

That makes a little more sense, where "had" and "had had" are possibly people or things involved with the examination. And "where Jimmy had had "had" as an unneeded clause that's seperated by commas?

Or do I need to go catch up on my English?

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2004 08:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've "had" it. [Razz]
Posts: 5846 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture