homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » A year in GC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A year in GC?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 6 posted June 05, 2004 22:59      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's curious how this year has went by so very fast. I have been at Geek Culture on and off for a year. I have since coming here obtained/lost 2 girlfriends, gained back an old one, went from punk to geek to hippy, celebrated one birthday, met several interesting and fun people, and have actually TALKED to someone from GC on the phone! I have also learned how to program in PHP, honed my skills in HTML and CSS, got a Linux install, a new Gibson Les Paul custom, a marshall stack and a new laptop.

Among all of this, the most important would be the several interesting and fun people I have met. I will call out the ones that come firstly to mind. Remember, if you are not mentioned, you are still important to me, I just have a slightly bad memory.

My first friend I met here at Geek Culture, someone who doesn't find themselves here anymore because they have decided to move on, was uilleann. I have to give him a hand, because when I got so sick back in July, he was the ONLY person who felt the need to email me(which I found out much later) to see where I had gone. I must also thank him for the banging trance that he has so graciously shared with me.

My second friend and I'd say my BEST friend here, and pretty much otherwise, would be Mac Man Kris K. Several times MMKK has been there when I needed someone to talk(read whine) to. He's been there many nights for me to talk about many assorted things with me that have led me to make very life-changing(for the better) decisions. He is whom I am most appreciative of.

My next two friends here, though not the really the first few I met, are obvious. Snaggy and Nitrozac. They've made me laugh, cry and and everything else in between. They have really cheered me up sometimes. Thank you so much guys.

My next few friends here, are my friends in IRC. Those would be Tut-an-Geek, who I didn't get along with at first but later learned to enjoy, Rednivek, who was also slow to warm up to me(or maybe it took me a while to warm up to him, probably the second one), dragonman97_ for being there with his expertise in Linux and his great personality that shows through in the channel and throughout the boards. There is Xanthine, who has really been a big help through many nights and days, and who inspires me to push for higher goals and achieve bigger and better things. To JaceRaven goes a lot of my heart, as he's been really helpful over the past months, and I will mourn if he comes to any harm while in the Marines. To Jessycat, I owe my, well, gratitude. She has been like a big sister over the past year.

Now, I know I'm not naming many people. But, these are the people who I hold the most high regards for. And I know it's nothing special for me to call you my friend, but I do want you to know that I am very thankful for all of you.

I'm also very thankful for everyone else here on these forums, even the various trolls and misfits(in which is the same category I started in) that visit us for meals.

Has been a good year even in light of all of the bad things that have happened, in which I have not named, and I hope to share another one, and many more, with all of these people here at Geek Culture.

**** Please, excuse! the terrible? misuse... (of) punction.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 09:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey.....and you didn't even get shot once in the whole year that you have been here (at least not that I know of)

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 09:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw [blush] Taco...

Vic, I think he blew a hole in his foot right around the time he joined.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 10:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks man - I'm flattered [Smile] .

code:
13:17 [Users #joyoftech]
13:17 [ dragonman97_] [ sconzey] [ Taconix ] [ Topslakr ] [ uilleann]
13:17 [ maswan ] [ Shinaku] [ topslack] [ Tut-an-Geek] [ Zok ]

Hmm, need a few more good people about [Wink] :-P.

Also, congrats on reflecting on a year - that's better of you than I'd care to do - my last year had its ups and downs, though things are moving in an overall good direction.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 12:05      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Lemme post so I can see my joined date.

[EDIT] Hey I've been here over a year also! Though I mostly lurk (as evidenced by my low post-count) I've definitely enjoyed my time here on GC and I am glad you have as well.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 13:09      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Hey.....and you didn't even get shot once in the whole year that you have been here (at least not that I know of)

I do regret saying I had been shot however many times I said I have. But, I will stand by this and say that I have shot my self this year, on accident, as Xanthine said. I can show you a picture or three if you'd like, of the after math(blew part of my heel off). Also, the toes, as has been legendary here now I believe, ARE indeed missing. I have 1 toe, and if you'd like, I'm not so modest that I wouldn't share pictures of that.

Just to clear up any confusion as to said shootings and amputations.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 13:46      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww, shucks, taco [Smile]
It's been great to talk with you too!
And congrats on the one year anniversary!

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted June 06, 2004 15:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
My second friend and I'd say my BEST friend here, and pretty much otherwise, would be Mac Man Kris K. Several times MMKK has been there when I needed someone to talk(read whine) to. He's been there many nights for me to talk about many assorted things with me that have led me to make very life-changing(for the better) decisions. He is whom I am most appreciative of.

[Happytears]

I'm really touched, Dylan. I can't believe it's only been a year, it seems as if I've known you forever. Here's to many more years of friendship!

*lights the cosmic bong, tokes, and passes to Dylan*

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 15:47      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Many many more years.

*takes a hit off of the smoke left in the cosmic chamber*

--------------------

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 23:21      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I must say that I am rather touched and would like to return with saying that I hold you in very high regard as I find you a very fun and caring person.

*raises glass*

Here is to a great year come and a great year gone and may there be many more to boot.

*sips from glass*

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture