homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Trading Post   » Looking for..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for..
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 12:53      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted about this before, but here I go again..

MMB is already on the hunt for me, and I've tried ehMac (and even contacted some sellers)..

I'm looking for a wedding present for Amanda. She's always wanted a mac laptop, and to this day does not have one, so I want to get her one.

She really likes the clamshells, but older powerbooks and pismos aren't out of the question.

Specs I'm looking for:
  • Clamshell or Pismo or iBook or Powerbook >= 366MHz or so (but I won't make a fuss if I can get a 350MHz at a half decent price..) -- basically something that can run MacOS X
  • Battery power isn't overly important, but would be nice. It'll be plugged in inevitably all of the time it's being used.
  • 128mb RAM or more would be preferred.
  • 4GB hd would be fine -- we store all our stuff on the local network, so the harddrive doesn't need to be ginormous.
  • airport card would be nice, but I'll suck it up and buy one extra myself if need be.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but if you know anyone selling/offering this sort of thing, let me know.

And I'm not interested in the ~1GHz iBooks... they're nice, but out of my budget.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 14:09      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you, much.

My iBook is an older one, and I got it from DA... She was going to toss it out the window because of it's state:

There is something wrong with the VGA cable, it has a few rows of dead pixles, if it goes to sleep it doesn't wake up properly and the power manager is fried (it only lasts 1/2 hour on battery dispite what the display says).

It does me well for what I use it for... It's just used to write Java and test Java application on a Mac. The VGA cable is getting worse though and I'm gonna have to buy a new cable for it.

This one was originally going to be thrown away at a local school (years ago) -- and was rescued... It's chain of custdody is rather odd. My advice is to look into unusual sources. I recently aquired a Sparc Ultra 30, that I still need to bring home, by pure chance as well. Ebay, Local "HAM fests" and good old fashion "hand-me-downs" are not to be overlooked.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 14:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd sell you my Pismo since I need the money, but I don't know what I'd do without it, so I'm gonna keep it. I'm so glad I bought it. Wonderfully reliable machine! (If only I knew where to get a CD to install Classic capabilities... [ohwell] )

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 23, 2006 19:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From IRC....

Looks like dnm found one, a Pismo 400....

drunkennewfiemidget: 192MB RAM, 10GB HD, OS X 10.4
drunkennewfiemidget: $300 CAD.

sweet!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 04:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Mr Snaggy is right. I pick it up on Saturday.

Here's hoping that I can find a cheap wireless card for it, and I'm set.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture