homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Air bags

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air bags
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2014 15:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we know why they are installed but really? Race cars wreck often and they are not equipped with airbags. Lets see if I have this correct, in case you are too stupid to use a seat belt and harness, we will explode a charge in a bag to cushion your impact. How ever now we change the charge to something cheaper and more unstable, and wonder why parts are being shot through the people we are trying to protect.

Seems like a good plan to me.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2014 09:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Race cars wreck often and they are not equipped with airbags.

Well, yeah, but do you put on a helmet and head-to-toe padded leather before popping into town for some groceries?

Seriously, a race car hits a stationary object at 300 km/h and disintegrates, bits flying in all directions, and the driver walks away!
That body armour is amazing!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2014 10:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the engineers I worked with was a nut about safety. He wore a motorcycle helmet to protect him from the inside rear view mirror. He also had a full harness to keep him in the driver's seat.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2014 22:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...with race cars, it's highly likely that they could get in a serious crash. As TFD suggests...you're probably not that likely to get in a horrible crash on the way to get groceries. You could, esp. if you're texting and driving, someone else is (or is drunk), or luck just isn't on your side, but the odds of coming home with your groceries, person, and vehicle unscathed are pretty good.

Strictly speaking, airbags would be far less necessary if everyone wore his or her seat belt. However, modern airbags alter the amount of inflation depending on the need, so for properly belted individuals, it's not so much about keeping you from flying through the windshield as keeping you from bopping your head on the visor or torso on the steering wheel. With the exception of grossly defective parts, airbags arguably can't hurt - they probably will help you if they deploy. My car has 6 airbags (the newer model has 8?!) and pretty spiffy ABS/traction control - I'd rather not have to use any of that, but I'd certainly prefer to have it rather than not.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2014 10:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would feel better if these systems were not under the control of budget people always looking for the lowest price point, I am sure that was the motive for the change from sodium azide to ammonium nitrate.

I am familiar with ejection seat technology, in the naval Air Force that is having earned your "OH MY ASS CARD" those systems are cost plus contracts.

As to traction control systems the one in our Jeep is really well calibrated for loss of traction in snow and or Ice, it however has trouble in mud.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2014 21:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that only one OEM is using Ammonium Nitrate, all the rest use Sodium Azide. Again price point driven decisions.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture