homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Darn Clouds!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Darn Clouds!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2013 19:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This evening I went out to observe the Comet C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS. At this time it is visible for a few minutes just after Sunset. I got a glimpse of an object that was in the right position and did appear to have the correct shape. Turn on Camera, raise Camera, where the &$)) did it go? I watched for about fifteen more minutes, long enough for the comet to set then came back in and started typing this missive.

Darn Clouds!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted March 18, 2013 15:47      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. Fog. The other night it was in such a discrete layer that the moon was crystal clear but the nearby comet was invisible. My wife was visiting friends up in the mountains and she saw it clearly, however, which is nice because she usually misses the astrophenomena. :)Oh well. Next comet should be better?
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2013 18:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we should have seven or eight more chances to see Pan Starrs, I apparently missed last nights aura also.

At one point I was sure I was watching Pan Starr even took pictures, came in and checked at Heavens Above Nope, I do have a nice picture of a Contrail.

Tonight it is snowing so I doubt I will even see a Sunset.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 24, 2013 01:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lucked out and saw it! While on a ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island, a clear evening but cold as heck, and windy and shaky due to the ferry plowing through the sea. Used binocs, caught the faintest glimpse of it. [Geek]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2013 04:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, COOL I have some nice photo's of contrails but not that Comet. This Comet has eluded me. Over the last thirty years I have seen or photographed about fifteen, different Comets. The two hours that are split by by dusk or dawn seem to be the best viewing times.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 28, 2013 00:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay, we saw Pan-STARRS again, from our backyard this time. Cleared up nicely after sunset. I saw it at about 8:30 to 9 oclock. It's later after sunset than you might think, and higher up. And further north. Not as high as Andromeda though.

Definitely need binocs, but it's a pretty thing!

here's a guide that might help:

http://www.universetoday.com/100896/keeping-up-with-comet-panstarrs-through-the-end-of-march/

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2013 07:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I am going to recommend Heavens above by Chris Peat

If you set up an account and specify a location, his site does all the math, Sky Charts, Tracking, Orbital paths.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 28, 2013 10:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool! Thanks MoMan!
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2013 11:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I have installed many prediction programs, orbit calculators, they all pale to his numbers. When his software says a object will be dead over head, go look.

If you were to click on the ISS and pick a visible pass you can also find the ground track it will take while near your viewing position.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted March 28, 2013 23:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bagged it tonight too!
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2013 05:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn Clouds, again.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2013 11:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, that's a drag. It's been super clear here, which is a nice change.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2013 04:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like Charlie Brown against the Kite Eating Tree, or kicking the football with Lucy as holder.

DARN CLOUDS

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture