homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Asteroid alert!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Asteroid alert!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asteroid alert! I am sure most of the geeks here know about our upcoming near miss, I hope. So that got my goofy thought processes going. Think about a Geo-planetary probe preceding our planet as it orbits the Sun. So as the Earth passes through space this space telescope is looking for danger. Using Radar and or/ other modes to look for space junk in our lane.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5477 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 13:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this latest asteroid is passing between geo sync orbit and the earth. You would think chances like this would be the best way to get a sample from an asteroid. I mean the jappaneese tried , really thought they failed then only ended up with a few particles from their asteroid. Why not park 2 satalites in orbit, wait for one of these close encounters and get some easy asteroid dust.

My idea would be to move one quick moving satalite in thes asteroids path ans ue the other satalite to vacuum up the rocks knocked off from the collision.

cool idea huh?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2013 20:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
My idea would be to move one quick moving satalite in thes asteroids path ans ue the other satalite to vacuum up the rocks knocked off from the collision.

After **VERY** carefully calculating the effect this would have on the asteroids trajectory, to make sure we don't regret it 17 orbits later.

I like the idea. Done right, it could be used to push the asteroid into a safe orbit, where there will be no more 'near misses'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10463 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 06:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time out, Pause, wait. How is this satellite going to create a vacuum in space?

--------------------

Posts: 5477 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 12:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

We'll put James Dyson on it, I'm sure he'll come up with something [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1671 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 14:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It'll have a long robotic arm equiped with nozzle and tube going back to a tank of compressed gass. the arm will position itself opposite from the space rock that will be anti-vacuumed up and use the gas to blow the rocks and dust and what not into the capuring recepticle. Equped with your hepa filter and all!

patent pending, patent pending patent pending.
\-homer voice

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 14:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I have played with CO2 Cartridges and those Model rockets will not the robotic arm start your satellite spinning

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 14:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.euronews.com/2012/02/16/swiss-scientists-plan-space-vacuum-cleaner/

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 14:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now I have played with CO2 Cartridges and those Model rockets will not the robotic arm start your satellite spinning

no it would actually move the satalite closwer to the rock making pickup easier.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 10:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of those that live South of 30N I do not think that you will be able to see the upcoming rock. Those of you with accounts at Heavens above the data is available for figuring out if you can see the rock. From 44N I am hoping for a clear sky tomorrow evening and hope to get some photos'

From the sky charts it appears that it will pass over or near the North pole.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 05:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A day early the advance party came calling.

CBS News

Reuters

Voice of America

From where I live it might be visible to the naked eye.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 06:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shit!
And that was just little brother.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10463 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2013 12:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it is a good day to be in the glass business in russia as this thing knocked out alot of windows.

but I really wonder how many windows will be replaced.

One of the biggest things I noticed while in russia was that nearly every car front windshied in russia was badly cracked. and they don't seem to fix them for some reason.

and then there is that one crazy right wing russian politician that accused the US of attacking Russia with a new weapon.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.