homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » dozenal system

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dozenal system
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2013 17:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sold. we should all adopt a base twelve number system for use in day to day life. especially all those living in america with non base 10 measurement systems.

MY SUNDAY TASK: teach myself all basic math in the dozenal system. should be easy.

youtube:numberphile_dozenal

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2013 18:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I propose base 2 instead. Division and multiplication by 2, 4, 8, 16 or any other power of 2 becomes a simple matter of shifting your digits one way or the other, children can learn two digits far faster than they could ever learn 10 or 12, There are already tons of decimal to binary converters available so all of the existing materials would be still be easy to use and (best of all) the children will be better prepared to communicate with the robotic overlords which will eventually take over the earth.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2013 18:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought base 6 would have been convenient.
The human hand can represent the digits 0 to 5, (fist=0, all fingers extended=5) so, using your right hand as the units digit and your left hand as the 6s digit, you could count to 55(base 6) = 35 decimal.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2013 20:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...but what about real decimal stuff? [Razz]
Floating point is /not/ fun for everyday use. [Wink]
(Tinkering with it and other forms of binary math on paper got me through a marketing class in college with my sanity intact, but I hardly think I'd want to do it all the time.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2013 01:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's almost like I was highlighting the fact that adopting an entirely different numbering system because it makes one small subset of operations easier while ignoring the fact that it makes others harder is dumb. Binary just makes it more obvious.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.