homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » The Best Part of Waking Up!?!?!?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Best Part of Waking Up!?!?!?!?
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 04:28      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried searching for information on this one, and while I found some interesting links (Spider Man??), I couldn't find any information on the topic.

It's noon on a Sunday and I've just woken up. Granted I was up until 2 the previous night, but when the average adult only needs 5-6 hours of sleep a night, why am I tired when I wake up?

That's when I began to wonder...how did our ancestors handle this problem? Having to wake up early to go out into the fields to work. Certainly they didn't stay up until 2 AM, but how did they overcome the general grogginess accompanying waking up?

Of course now we have energy drinks and super coffee to make sure we're wide awake for the day. But why do we need the energy drinks and espressos now when back in the day they were able to, I think anyway, make it work on so much less? In other words, why does the modern human require a chemical method to get their brain working early in the morning? Is it because of the change in the amount of stress in the centuries of mankind? Do we have more to think, worry, and ponder about during the day? Is it because our brain never stops working?

Answers? Questions? Discussion?

--------------------
A Steampunk's Musings

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 05:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMans thoughts, if you allow your body to follow the daylight patterns. Soon you will going to sleep shortly after Sundown, and Arising near or before Sunup. I too used to believe I was a Night Owl, found out differently and now follow the sun shine.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 07:06      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As TheMoMan said, naturally we would follow circadian 24hr rhythm (or 26hr if you isolate people from light...). We do all kinds of things to disturb it though - non-natural lighting, fill our brains with odd chemicals, try and alter our sleep schedule to meet our needs.

Energy drinks is kinda interesting. Fairly recently they showed that coffee addicts like me need that coffee in the morning just to bring us to the same level of wakefulness as a non-drinker. We're not any more awake, it's just our brains are desensitised to wakefulness. Not sure of the mechanism (probably something to do with adenosine receptors, but I can't find references at the moment - so for now, see the semi-excellent explanation at The Oatmeal [Wink] ). Xanthine may be able to tell you more.

There's also the stuff looking at how the smell alone of coffee shows increased wakefullness - is this something actually to do with the smell, or a conditioned response?

Sleep science is pretty fun in general. A friend of mine researches in the field, but most of it goes way over my head. If you're at all interested, start with the "flip-flop" model (wiki)

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 09:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is Folgers in your cup!

[Razz]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 09:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to sleep late every morning, before the druidlings arrived.

Now I'm programmed to wake up at about 6 AM, even on the weekends. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 12:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may remember my question about a flag pole's shadow during the day. Well I have one clock here at "The Hill Top" that is set to show Noon at High Noon. Right now during the spring months my alarm clocks (The Dog & Cat) are waking me up at 7&1/2 hours before noon and we go to bed an equal time after noon, that will grow through June and then drop back this fall,

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 16:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
is Folgers in your cup!

[Razz]

Bah...you killed my anti-punchline. [Wink]

(I was going to put a 'not' in front of that!)

I sleep late-ish most days, and more so on the weekend. I don't /need/ caffeine to get my day started, but it does help in 'easing into the day.' As I'm not a morning person, I get myself to work just fine, mostly out of self-determination. Assuming I'm not running so late that I just pick up a cup of coffee (my local place is great - in and out before the song's over on the radio) -- a cup of PG Tips hits the spot for me. OTOH, while not _necessary_ to start the day, if I don't have /any/ caffeine within a few hours of getting up, that'd probably be a bad thing. [Razz]

Also, while I do function sans coffee/tea, I was clearly reminded the other day that e-mail pre-coffee might not be a bright idea. Someone wrote to me seeking help with something, and I was saw this before heading to work, so I quickly shot back "Oh, you should call so-and-so at x1234." (Thereby allowing me time to get coffee en route to work.) Alas, on the way in, I soon realized that I had given the extension for voicemail, and a reply was waiting for me: "You should have a cup of coffee..." *sigh*

P.S. TFD: I much appreciate the way you wrote your message. While I feel bad for your inability to get up late, it's so much better than my former boss, who always gave me crap about not being a morning person, and routinely said "Wait 'til you have kids." He treated it like a badge of honor, and me like some hedonistic soul...gimme a friggin' break.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 17:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you take a look back through history, you'll find that every culture has found stimulants and ingested them in one form or another. They were harder to obtain and more expensive in the past, however, so fewer people used themm but our ancestors would have sucked down coffee and energy drinks just as quickly as we do.

The fact is, we don't need energy drinks, espresso, coffee or any other stimulants any more or less than our ancestors did. We could all go to bed a couple hours earlier, get up a couple hours earlier and use that time to be fully awake and ready to work before we left the house.

But we won't, because we can stay up late having fun and dose ourselves stimulants to make up for it in the morning. On the whole, most of us enjoy life more that way.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 19:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past, I am sure repitition got the serfs out of bed to get into the field. Do somethign every day for 20 years and it sticks.

Though, I cannot remember my source ( I heard this in the late 90's), I have read that teenagers and early 20's aged people are genetiacally programmed to stay up later when the sun goes down than other aged peoples to help propogate the species.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
steampunkgrrrl
Geek Larva
Member # 38567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2011 05:07      Profile for steampunkgrrrl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm? *walking in with my cup of coffee and ovaltine*

Sorry, I just can't function without this stuff.

Sleep studies can be pretty cool, and it's interesting to see how the human sleep pattern has evolved over the years.

I know the Mayans (or Incans...or Aztecs?) used coca to perk up before a fight, and it's still used by mountain peoples in South America (they chew the leaves), but I think it's more of a calming effect.

Now it's espresso and 5 hour energy drinks and humans are trying to find a way to get 25 hours out of a 24 hour day. I was thinking that, although this hasn't changed since ye olde days (let's face it, our ancestors had as much drive as we do), the situations have changed. We're trying to do it faster and harder because of the demands placed on us now by our society. Be faster and better than the other guys or get out of the way.

@Grumpy: Hey, I need my caffeine to craft in LoTRO and get achievements. [Razz]

Posts: 25 | From: Northwest Ohio | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2011 05:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coca leaves are chewed or brewed into a tea in the Andes. They're supposed to have a mild stimulatory effect and be helpful for acclimatizing. My personal experience with coca tea is it has a very pleasant taste. Any stimulatory or relaxing effects that came with the tea could be just as attributable to the circumstances as to the tea so I can't say for sure if it had those effects. As for help acclimatizing, pushing fluid always helps with that. But I liked it all the same.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2011 10:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Best part of waking up is knowing that you are still above the grass.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 02:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think artificial light and convenient distractions are a big part of it. TV and internet, especially. It's easy to stay up well past when you'd go to sleep without some kind of distraction. Here, we call it one-more-turn syndrome. (From turn-based strategy games... just one more turn...)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture