homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Scanning Electron Microscopy and Lab Photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scanning Electron Microscopy and Lab Photos
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2010 15:17      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple months back I posted about the scanning electron microscopy class that I'd been accepted into, we've finally gotten past the exams and tutorials and have been able to use the scope. Here's some of the practice specimens that were made up for us.

This is of the scales on the exoskeleton on an isopod (pill bugs/rollie pollies). This is the very first image I captured, that's why it's kind of out of focus.

-

This is a leg joint of the same isopod, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out.

-

I've also had some time in my lab recently, so here are a couple pictures of some of the lab residents.

My personal favorites the Chilean rose hairs. These are the sweetest tarantulas you could ask for, they aren't biters and they're super laid back.
 -

This is one of our male Pedersen's ornamentals. They are mostly imported from India and are really nice to look at.
 -

This is a Chacao golden knee and these guys are related to the rose hairs. This is another great, laid back species.
 -

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 02:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome photos! I've always been amazed by images from electron microscopes. Have you been taking any more?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 22:19      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I took some more today, they're still practice stubs until next week after we have our final oral exam to prove that we can be trusted with the scope without supervision.

Here are the ones from today, we had tiny shrimp to work with.

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Things, and things.

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 00:06      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does she get these wonderful toys to play with. I hope there is more comming!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 13:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one of mine:
 -
It's a slightly less conventional image, as it uses a backscattered electron detector, rather than a secondary electron detector. This is sensitive to atomic weight, so heavier atoms are brighter. In this image, the white spots are gold, on an iron oxide support.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 17:42      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... now I'm thinking I should go back to school just to get to use the cool stuff.
I'm guessing my community college does not have an SEM, and has ways of screening out
gear hounds like me. [Wink]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 18:17      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlefish: That's awesome, we have a backscatter unit but don't get to use it, but we had to learn (in theory) how to. If you have more images I'd love to see them.

Halfvast: We also have a plasma lab that the physics majors get to work in, as well as a full array of expensive chemistry equipment. For being a smaller university we science folk have very nice equipment to work with.

The longterm project that I'm working on (I get to start fixing stubs this week) is comparing sensory hair densities on legs and the accessory limbs of arboreal and terrestrial tarantulas. I just read through the prep paper that my supervising professor wrote, it looks like I'm going to be in for a tedious few weeks of prep work. Friday is another practice day, so there should be more neat images.

--------------------
Things, and things.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 18:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ littlefish, You mentioning Iron Oxide, reminded me. After working with metals for twenty eight years I learned that if a Iron, steel, was covered with rust (Iron Oxide) and starting to decay. That if it was put into a Coal or Charcoal, fire and then the draft was reduced so that the fire was being choked for oxygen, that the fire would take the oxide (O2) out of the rust and refuse the scaling metal. I did not not believe until our ToolRoom welder did a demo in his furnace. That was so cool seeing a rusty piece of Iron become new looking.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2010 01:46      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spazgirl, there are some more images here.

If you really want lots, and can be prepared for dullness, then there is my thesis.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2010 12:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<recovering crystallographer>
Your resolution sucks.
</recovering crystallograper>

Okay, now that I have that out of my system...

Those are gorgeous, Spaz. I love SEM images. They lack the abstraction of just about all other microscopic techniques so they're very easy for an untrained eye to appreciate but they've got this surreal quality too. The images have all the detail of a good conventional photograph...but they're images of something you'd never resolve with visible light.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture