homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Rotoblock... a new rotary engine design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotoblock... a new rotary engine design
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 14, 2009 13:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this makes my head spin... cool.

http://www.rotoblock.com/howitworks.shtml

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 20:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wooooah!

Well, it looks like this is more efficient than the old Wankel Rotary Engine as the Wankel has significant leakage between the intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust cycles. At least it's more efficient from that standpoint.

This engine has pistons that are stopping and starting, which seems similar to the common inefficiencies of a normal (read: reciprocating) engine.

I wonder what the normal service life of this engine would be... 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? more? It looks like it may well be really efficient, but it won't be marketable if you have to buy a new engine every 10,000 miles....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 23:02      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks really nice. That may reduce the overall engine size, and therefore the vehicle size dramatically.

However, I can predict that the engine vibration and noise would be significantly high, and heat transfer may not be as efficient as a convensional engine.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 10:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their site very uninformative.

As Ugurcan mentioned, how do you cool it? Vibration looks to be an issue to me also. Though it may be conceptually possible to use the back and forth motion of the pistons to cause it to self balance. I have my doubts.

But my concerns are a bit more mundane than just that. It appear the intake and exhaust arrangement moves around the pistons. Almost like a two-stroke where the cylinder moves instead of the piston.

How do they plan on sealing the intake and exhaust? Will the rotary motion and the oddball crankshaft arrangement take too much torque out of the motor? And of course it appears that repairs would be quite painful. Rebuilds may be nigh impossible.

And considering there hasn't been an update since '06, they may have hit those same snags.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2009 03:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ TheMoMan __________

____ Over the years there have been many, improvements to the recp. engine. This design has been on and off the boards for at least twenty years, so far I have not seen one come out in a product.

____ The most efficient design is called opposed piston. Two crank shafts, two crankcases, one set of cylinders with two pistons per bore. Because there are two pistons in the flame front more of the heat energy is transfered to the pistons per power stroke. FairBanks Morse and ALCO built these engines for railroad engines and Navy Marine use. The draw back is weight and over all height. I tried to build one from two old Snowmobile engines (two stroke) I got it to run but did not have a use for such an engine.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2009 12:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just seems to me that a rotary engine is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2009 12:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there are a lot of parasitic losses in the typical 4-stroke engine. Limitations due to a host of issues.

But I have to say that it is answering the problem in a way that I think is non-productive. Probably an engineer's version of vaporware.

MoMan. I was playing with Google patent search the other day and found some early ford patents on that exact style of motor. Fascinating to say the least. I would love see the one you devised if you have any pics.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2009 15:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ CommanderShroom _____________

____ I took two twin cylinder, 250cc snowmobile motors I believe they were JLO's took off the heads. Then machined a plate with the original Combustion Chambers shape into both sides of the plate, then from the edges I drilled and tapped the spark plug holes. I then cut one engines head studs at a length that they would pass through the plate and act as dowels on the other cylinder block. Timing was done with #50 roller chain. I then built some straps and threaded rod to act as strain bars to hold the forces of compression, and power strokes.

____ I stood it on end like a lawnmower engine, rotated the carbs in their boots, mixed up some oil/gas and gave it a rip then I decided that I would need both electric starters to roll it over against its compression.

____ I would have to say that it did not sound like a typical two-stroke, but it did not sound like a four stroke either.

____ Did it make twice the power, I doubt that it did it sure went through fuel fast with four carbs.

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2009 17:56      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's The Museum of RetroTechnology's page on toroidal internal-combustion engines. The Rotoblock appears to have a great deal in common with the 1955 Bradshaw Omega design, and both owe a great deal (if you can call it that) to the Parson's Vibratory-Piston Steam Engine.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture