homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » The man who grew back half a finger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The man who grew back half a finger
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 30, 2008 19:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7354458.stm

How? Well that's the truly remarkable part. It wasn't a transplant. Mr Spievak re-grew his finger tip. He used a powder - or pixie dust as he sometimes refers to it while telling his story.
Mr Speivak's brother Alan - who was working in the field of regenerative medicine - sent him the powder.

For ten days Mr Spievak put a little on his finger.
"The second time I put it on I already could see growth. Each day it was up further. Finally it closed up and was a finger.
"It took about four weeks before it was sealed."

Now he says he has "complete feeling, complete movement."
The "pixie dust" comes from the University of Pittsburgh, though in the lab Dr Stephen Badylak prefers to call it extra cellular matrix.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 02:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From TFA:
It took the end right off, down to the bone

A possum did the same to me what I was about 10, it grew back, with less scarring than shown in TFA.

This miracle-powder doesn't sound very miraculous to me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 04:22      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you guys freaking kidding me? I thought that was computer enhanced. A finger does not just grow back, does it? Creepy. [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 04:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh, btw, TFD.... I like your new signiture.... hehe FUNNY!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 06:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Ohh, btw, TFD.... I like your new signiture.... hehe FUNNY!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I tend to think of it as depressing-as-fsck, but different strokes...

Maybe he really meant: "We're not going to have any causalities."
(Albeit, 'causality' is a word, but 'causalities' might not be...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 01, 2008 09:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Guardian gives that story the finger...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/01/finger.claim

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 17:07      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... The Guardian interviewee complains that there's "no clinical evidence."

So just how, exactly, would you go about recruiting volunteers to participate in a statistically-significant clinical study on regrowth of amputated body parts?

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 18:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I can answer that one...

Most of the time, the call for subjects is sent out to hospitals and large medical groups. Doctors attached to the hospitals and groups then tell patients about the studies and/or post information so the patients can inquire further and decide if they want to sign up for the study.

Sometimes you'll also encounter radio or print ads for study volunteers too, but that's less common.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 02:49      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if they get the military interested, they could do trials that way, couldn't they? (That's probably the ideal place to get lots of subjects who have body parts that need regrowing these days. [Frown] )

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 09:45      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother grew back his heel as a toddler. He was in an accident and lost about half of the fleshy part of his heel. It grew back with minor scaring, but the foot print is wonky. The doctor attributed it to his young age.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 02, 2008 20:14      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I already made a thread about this. And it was frontpaged too. [ohwell]

http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003620

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 22:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops, sorry jj, guess I should read what I Tidbit. [blush]
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2008 15:47      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
oops, sorry jj, guess I should read what I Tidbit. [blush]

S'ok! [Smile]

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture