homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Oldest sound recording discovered?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oldest sound recording discovered?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 27, 2008 12:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Researchers say they have unearthed a recording of the human voice, made by a little-known Frenchman, that predates Edison's invention of the phonograph by nearly two decades.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.php

There's a clip of the recording on the site too... a female vocalist can be heard singing a rather creepy little tune.
[Eek!]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 12:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Frenchie here never intended for his recordings to be played back, nor did he ever invent a way for them to be played back.

I would say that his invention, though rather novel, unique, and kind of neat, is still inherently limited to creating what I would call a "sound picture" rather than what we, in our modern times, would think of as a "recording" of sound.

Good old Thomas Edison is still the father of recorded audio! This is just a press release aimed at getting a headline.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 13:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing

clearrer french was never spoken!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 27, 2008 15:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, me think you doth protest too much. It's not about dissing Edison's work, in fact the historian makes sure to mention him...

"Edison is not diminished whatsoever by this discovery," Giovannoni said.

This is about the oldest sound recorded, of hearing a recording made before the idea of audio playback was even imagined.

More here, with a drawing of the phonautograph...
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I've read about researchers searching for other ways sound waves may have been recorded in nature, trying to find even older examples. Wouldn't it be cool to hear a recording of the Ancient Greeks, or of the dinosaurs for instance?

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2008 23:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

I've read about researchers searching for other ways sound waves may have been recorded in nature, trying to find even older examples. Wouldn't it be cool to hear a recording of the Ancient Greeks, or of the dinosaurs for instance?

Cool yes, but I don't think much will come of this.

Sound waves have so little energy that for them to have enough of an effect on something to be able to extract information of the original sound wave and then for the matter to survive unaltere(such a peice of matter would undoubtably have to be very weak to be able to be altered by sound waves) for a long period of time seems extremely improbable.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 04:04      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here I thought that "oldest sound recording" was referring to Mick Jagger's latest tune. [shake head]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 28, 2008 07:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha it caused a giggling fit!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7318173.stm

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2008 08:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
ha ha it caused a giggling fit!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7318173.stm

Ah, Charlotte Green... her voice has been known to induce *ahem* pleasant dreams. [Wink]

edit: I just listened to that clip -- what's funny is the way she tries so hard to keep it together... and then fails miserably. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture